Bye bye 360 | FerrariChat

Bye bye 360

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Stickanddice, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    After a spirited run today around the Galveston area, I bid my 360 farewell for now as it heads to the sunny shores of California in the morning. My buddy drove it a good 100 miles or so almost making the total mileage the magic 1000. :) I racked up a good 25 miles or so on it. Had a blast driving his GT2 and his Diablo in exchange. Other friends racked up a total of another 75 miles. Got to drive other pretty cool stuff, and some other more "mundane" but still really cool machinery in exchange.

Skid plates are finally in place as are finer mesh thingies. Good thing because my buddy inadvertantly scraped the bottom on an unusually steep ramp to a gas station. Bottom of the bumper was unharmed :). I was on the Diablo so it was no problem (hooray for that lift system!). My other friend scraped his 575 though. But that's OK because it's a F1 tranny. Hehehe. It was a cool gauge of clearance. 996 TT made it fine at an acute angle but Lotus V8 TT had a little trouble (we are attributing that to driver error though). Corvette Z06 scraped the plastic feeler at the bottom (a lot) but not the bumper. Viper didn't even try; he didn't need gas. CHICKEN! Lowered Subaru WRX STi didn't clear it and had to back out in fear of ripping off the lower spoiler. It was the lowest car of the bunch but a close second was a lowered BMW M3 (those SMG trannies are pretty cool but still not my cup of noodles).

By the way Dale, I didn't even notice the water ;).

Cheers

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Oh man, you missed the best part. The water in Galveston looks like it could and would give you some kind of disease! Of course, I'm biased being from Florida (ducking and running for cover...)

Dr "Surfer Boy" Tax

3. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Ah...now it becomes clearer (no pun intended...really). We got a Florida boy here! Can't blame you calling most water around the globe dirty then. I'm a spoiled b!tch when it comes to ocean water too, having grown up in vacation spots in Europe. Lived in South Beach for a while and rented a house and a big bad boat in the keys with some friends back in the crazy days. Surfer boy though? Hmmm...I don't know about that. Don't you have to be a left coaster for that? Didn't see very good surfing in FL.

Had a police officer give me a thumbs up while pimpin' the Diablo around 100 mph. Got a bunch of those Motorola Talkabouts to keep communication as to where to go since few of us knew where we were, or where we were headed for that matter. I must admit Galveston was really a very pleasant town. Pretty decent restaurants too.

Bill Hart is a lucky man. Those GT2s are absolutely amazing. Don't know how much fun they would be in the post apocalyptic streets of Houston where smooth pavement is but a dream. Had the 360 not been headed to CA I would have traded cars with him for a week or so to really get to know the car. He offered to trade with my Corvette but I just couldn't put him through that kind of punishment. It's hardly fair to make that trade, even if it's only a week or two. The Subaru WRX STi was also amazing. What a car. These suckers are keepers. Very reasonably priced and the performance is astounding. They handle well too. Was very very very impressed. I'll be driving it the next couple of days to get a feel for it. I like it a lot. 4 door too!

Did you go on a run this weekend Dale? You gotta exercise that ride of yours. I just remembered something you had said during our last conversation. I need to call you to ask you something.

Cheers

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Don't worry, Doc. We won't hit you...just throw a cup of that Galveston water on you!!

Besides, didn't you like the black sand beaches?! This is TX...guess why they are black sands...

5. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Errr...I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm new to Tejas. The picture someone posted of the beach didn't have black sand. Looked like a decent beach where current pulls a lot of the sand and sifts it around giving it a brownish color. Then again, I have only been out in the water once, at night, in a boat. Never did see the color.

Cheers

6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

I was being 'dramatic'. However, even some Texans complain about having to use solvent to clean their feet after a day on some beaches here. Padre Island is fine; although a long drive from Houston.

Besides, the circulation in the Gulf is counterclockwise...so guess where that junk on Galveston beaches came from?! <g>

7. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Ohhh...duly noted.

Like I said earlier. I didn't even notice the water. I'll make it a point to fly my ass out of here if I feel compelled to hit a beach though.

I'm off to take the Scoobie for a spin. This car rocks!

Cheers

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Used to surf for 4 days straight every 2 weeks off Coal Oil Point in Goleta, CA. Believe me when I say, Gain Detergent won side-by-side comparisons against other detergents and solvents for the sticky stuff from the beach. Won't use it on laundry, though. I'm a Tide man for laundry.

However, I think L.A. has a higher % of post-apocalypse roads.

9. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Don't know man. The streets in SoCal were fantastic when I used to live there. I only lived there for a little less than a year though. Yes there were parts that were ugly, but man, in general they were pretty nice.

There was a tricky dip on Sunset (or was it Sta. Monica?) driving from W. Hollywood to BH. A quarter mile or so past the Doheny intersection. Scratched the front lower valance in a few cars with that ugly deal. But those canyon roads more than made up for it. they are more fun on a motorcycle but the PCH is a must with a fun car.

Now there, you DO notice the water while you drive around. :)

Cheers

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Foot cleaner = WD 40.

Signed,

Surfer Joe

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Okay, being from Pensacola, surfer boy was kinda stretching it. But we do have beautiful beaches where we dump all kinds of stuff just knowing that it will float to Texas!

Dr "Skim Boarder" Tax

12. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    The only waves worth surfing here in Pensacola are during hurricanes but then your lucky to make it out past the break. Your also lucky if you make it back!