Detailing | FerrariChat

Detailing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by flashman, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Any thoughts on paying a professional detailer to do one's car. Is it worth the expense, and do they indeed do a better job?

2. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    Honestly,It depends on what kind of person you take your car to,and what you need/want done. Be shure to ask for some pictures of work they have done,also get some names/ number of people they have done work for and ask of they have been satisfied with the work and price they were charged. If you have time and experience do it yourself, if not it may be cheaper if you let someone do the work for you rather than you not getting the results you want and spend alot of time and work just to end up paying a detailer to go back and fix it for you. Just my 2 cents
    David

3. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I agree with Detailman, it really depends upon the detailer and what you want out of the car. Some detailers are there to blow out as many cars a day as possible while others will spend all day on one car. You need to determine what productds you want to use on the vehicle and if the detailer is confortable with them. Asking for pictures and refrences is a great idea. Ultimately, it is up to you and what you want out of the vehicle.

4. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I have tried professional detailers on numerous occasions - never quite as good. As they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.....

5. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I go to a local black guy "G" from G-Wiz in NJ. He did a fantastic toothbrush style job on my 355 and helped me win a Platinum award from the Morristown Concours. He has a TR so he appreciates F-Cars. He is also the funniest guy on earth. He called my law firm and told my secretary, "tell Ben
    his cars ready, he's NEW MONEY, his SH*t is TIGHT"! He had the whole office in stitches! When I went there I gingerly touched the car and he lectured me, saying "aww Ben, that aint the way ya touch the car, that's how ya touch *****! ROTFLMAO!

Ben

6. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Know this does not help but I have a friend in Atlanta that is tits, the most careful, appreciative auto afficionado you could ever meet, it helps he also owns a 512TR. It really depends on who you go to however, like everyone else said.

7. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    Greetings to all....

As, a recent new member to Fchat, I thought this would be a good opportunity to supply a few a words. Yeah, like most of you are saying, what you want out of the car, such as fun/recreation, concours, or just to maintain the car in it's best condition all are factors, but I must say, in today's social/economic environment, finding quality(hi-quality) products and services seems to be most difficult.

As an example, most so-called professional detailers simply get out the "woolie" buffer and go for it, usually using standard bulk "body shop" types of polishes, compoundsand, and glazes. These avergae professional detailers will not spend the time to do door jams, rubber seals, nor do the proper leather/interior treatments. For the DIY people, it gives them satisfaction to do it themselves, spend time with the car, etc., but the consumer, or over the counter products are made for ease of use, not for really taking care of the paint or leather as it should. For myself, I started a high-end detailing business about a year ago, for many of the reasons you are discussing on this forum, as the consumer based products are not good enough, and finding a true professional is most difficult. I have researched products from all over the planet, attempting to match the products to the particular paint, and like wise with leather care. A Ferrari is very special, built like no other car, and that's the approach I take with my cars and customers' cars. Becasue of the body lines of a Ferrari, much time by hand method is usually required, and the products I use are the same that are used on the production line(been there), or used by auto museums themselves. As was mentioned, I take photos of every car I detailed, and the owners will not have a problem in providing a reference. Also, when I detail a car, I tell the owner to plan on at least a day for a proper job, and in some cases, it has taken me 3 days to complete a detail, as the owner desired a "pristine" example when finished.

I believe that your "significant automotive other" should receive the care it deserves, whether you decide to do it yourself, or chose a shop to do it. In any case, I always say that the difference is in the details.

Anyway, if any of guys happen to be in the Atlanta area, or just passing through on the way to an event, I would be happy to link up and perhaps detail your car. FORZA FERRARI.

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Guys, this is my guy, the best !!! Par excellance !! Brian, you need a DSL connection, I tried to call you 3 times today already. Anyway, this guy does the best job there is, and I am not saying that because he's my friend, in fact I do not really like him all that much !! Just kidding !! MONEY WELL SPENT and many Fchatters in Atlanta will concur.

9. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    You guy's know anyone good in Arizona?

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Un fortunately no, since you are in Scottsdale why don't you call Barrett Jackson? They might give you some great referrals. Also, ask around in your Ferrari owner community.

11. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I completely agree with 512Profesore. I have the exact same mindset when I detail my client's cars. All products are high end (Zymol, P21S, Crystal Guard) and a detail literally takes at least 8-9 hours. I also have no problem when people ask for refrences and photos. So I suggest anyone who is looking for a detailer in their area to ask the detailer what products he/she uses and if they can call current customers to see if they are happy with his or her work. In the long run, this 1 hour worth of investigating can save you a lot of grief from what a bad detailer can do to your car.

12. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Thank's for the suggestions, I will give them a call.

13. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Another couple of ideas:

Motorsports Of Scottsdale at Raintree and Hayden: They just brought a detail team in when they moved into the new building, these guys had a shop in PHX before. I've seen thier work and it looks great.

There is another shop run by a guy named Chris that is next door to Scottsdale Lotus. He has done some of my cars in the past and I was very happy. I Can't remember the name of the shop however.