F348 Spider/F355 Spider rooftop trouble | FerrariChat

F348 Spider/F355 Spider rooftop trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alx355gt, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Is it true that a F348 Spider /F355 Spider rooftop can cause trouble or get stuck if you don't open/close it on a regular basis?

2. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    Having first hand experience with a F355 spider, the best reasons the dealers like to use for your malfunctioning top are: top being stored in the stowed position, and not cycling the top frequently enough to promote proper lubrication.

3. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    I've had some trouble with my 355 spyder. Nothing too complicated. Was told the pistons operating the top had lost their air pressure. The dealer here in Q8 replaced the air and relubricated the moving parts. I bought the car off a friend who had parked it for about a year and half. So maybe that should explain the problem with the pistons.

My gut feeling so far has been that if a Ferrari is regularly driven (Drive it 1 to 2 times a week) and is properly serviced and maintained then there shouldn't be any problems.

4. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    So the likely malfunctioning of the hood on those spiders is not really a reason to prefer the GTS over the spider? If you don't keep it in the same position for too long, there schouldn't be a problem?

5. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Yes, Just don't keep the top in the boot for very long.
    The material tends to shrink a litte also.
    I have seen some tops that don't want to close due to the top being in the boot for over a year.

Also, there might be air in the system. This will be the funky gurgling noise you will hear. You will have to bleed it.