License in One State, Residence in Another -- Issues with purchase? | FerrariChat

License in One State, Residence in Another -- Issues with purchase?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Sorry for the strange thread title, but I couldn't best figure out how to articulate the issue in a one-liner, which is as follows:

Recently moved to NY state. Valid license is currently from IL (which is obviously where I moved from). I'm in the midst of negotating for an F-car. Assuming the sale goes through, how do I/the dealer handle the issues of living in one state, while having a license from another.

Yes, I know I should get the license converted, and I am, but the conversion process requires a recent eye-exam, waiting in line at the DMV, etc., etc., so it will take some time -- especially given work demands. My question is really what the implications are (for ownership title, taxes, etc.) assuming I purchase the F-car before I get my NY license. Of course, I could purchase (ie, put down a deposit with the dealer), but just defer consummating the sale, if that would be easiest. On the other hand, maybe there is no issue at all -- I just don't know, which is why I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks much!

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Tell the DMV the car will be garaged at one of your places and used locally, and that you still keep your primary residence in another state. I do it with my places in TN, FL, and AL with no problems.

3. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Do not try that in California. If you get caught, it is nasty.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    "Nonresident vehicle owners who move to California must register their out-of-state vehicles in California within 20 days of the date they accept employment or establish residency in California.

If a resident of California aquires a vehicle from another state or country, fees become due the date the vehicle enters California and must be paid within 20 days to avoid late penalties."

And Boy Howdy - you don't want to pay fees in 2 states, let alone penalties in this one. I've seen some real stinky situations.