New Fuel Filler Hose - Am I About To Die? | FerrariChat

New Fuel Filler Hose - Am I About To Die?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by donaldh2o, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    The new fuel filler hose for my 1976 308 GT4 arrived today.

It goes between the filler pipe and the pipe on the gas tank. The procedure, I'm told, is to longitudinally cut the old filler hose, pry it loose, clean off the ebris from both filler pipe and gas tank pipe, lubricate the new hose with Vaseline, slide it on and tighten the clamps.

It sounds easy, but I don't think I can do it. I have a severe dread of death. I have this picture in my head of this horrendous explosion coming out of my garage and my arms and legs scattered around the neighbors lawns.

"Cheap Do It Yourselfer Killed Repairing His Ferrari!, details at 11"

My thinking to prevent the explosion is to fill the gas tank to overflowing to eliminate all gas fumes (gas does not explode but fumes do). But the problem with this idea is the old filler hose is so badly deteriated that more gas goes onto the ground than into the gas tank. Maybe rig a temporary wrap of tape that will last long enough to fill the tank?

Another thought is to push a towel with a string attached down far enough to plug the tank. Like a Molotov cocktail?

I'm scared to death to do this - maybe pay the local Ferrari guy to install this would be the right thing to do.

Anyone ever done this?

2. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    exactly which activity during this procedure do you believe will cause this explosion?

unless you are using a 5 HP grinder, risk is minimal. using some steel wool, or 3M pad, or sandpaper will not give a spark, if the spark is your worry. (or you are much faster with it than me)

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Risk is almost negligible. If it's really dry, just don't shuffle around, and touch the engine block before the fuel filler to dissipate static electricity.

I wouldn't think twice about the explosion risk.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I concur with NC348....just take your time, and don't get any debris or particles into the gas tank, and you'll be fine. If you were working with any type of electrical device or anything with a flame...I would agree that it is dangerous. But other than some fumes I don't think you'll have any problems.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I did it on my Gt4. No problems. Didn't blow up. Access is a *****, though.

BTW, update your profile, and include a pic please!!!

Dom

6. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

I replaced line number 26 on mine this past weekend. Took about 2 hours to get to everything and about 2 minutes to actually replace the line. Don't worry about igniting anything when cutting the old hose off. Stay away from everything electrical, keep a fire extinguisher nearby and have someone help. (Firewatch!)

No problem.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Be sure to do the operation in a WELL ventilated space. A moderate flow of fresh air through the area should prevent acumilation of fumes. Stuffing a clean rag into the tank 'neck' should keep debris out while cleaning and prevent fumes from 'wafting' out ...................and put your cigarette out before you start.;~}

DJ

P.S. I did mine without blowing up too.

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Well if you blew up there really are not worries. You won't feel a thing.

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I did mine on my B a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it was just a question of loosening the clamps and giving it a twist to break its "hold" and then it could be pushed and pulled to get off.

10. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Donald: I'm assuming you realize this, but just in case.......

Take off the wheel and the fender liner. The hose is in plain sight. If you try to do it thru the engine compartment, you'll still be doing it this time next year.

As just mentioned, try giving it a twist before cutting. It might come right off.

11. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    First, do not use Vaseline. It is oil based and will destroy the rubber. Use a water based lubricate instead. Second, disconnect the battery while changing the hose.

Ken

12. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROTFL!

there was a news item today someplace i saw that some poor soul was cutting 55 gallon drums in half with an acetalyne (sp) torch. unfortunately, one of the drums was apparently still sealed up and previously contained paint. so, lots of paint fumes still in it. boom. he's still alive, but the jury's still out :(

do be careful.

doody.

13. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Although when working with hoses my lubricant of choice is silicone, I doubt Vaseline would hurt a hose that is intended to carry gasoline.

While you are taking off wheels and fender liners, check the 3 little hoses on the top of the other gas tank. These nearly always get neglected, and if they haven't been previously replaced, I can guarantee that they are leaking!

14. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Second that, did those too.

Also, check the lower ones connecting the cross over pipe -- they seem to get neglected or some clown substitutes heater hose type material which will degrade. The OEM piece (priced about $10/inch!) has glossy coating on the inner surface. Silicon hose would be as good but the bits I had to hand were about an inch too short.

15. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Find gas filler hose at a parts house for use on the tank bottom hoses at about 90 cents an inch. I just found some today.

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Whenever I'm working on gas lines or gas tanks, I disconnect the battery. One I made a nice spark with a wrench by my gas tank and I think that was warning enough for me to not be lazy.

17. John Miles

John Miles Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Um, and gasoline isn't oil-based, and won't?

Time to get out the ol' K-Y...

18. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Just don't leave your ash tray on the air intake!

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Welding 101 teaches you not to use a torch on a container previously filled with combustible material (certainly do not use it on presently filled with combustible material.

I also changed mine in 30 minutes with the liner off, wheel off, from below, and no BOOM.

Never heard vaseline destroying a hose that is meant to be impervious to gasoline.

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Vaseline s/b ok for fuel related lines. I just keep a tube of RadioShack's teflon lube gel around. It's inert so can be used with coolant, fuel, vacuum, etc. hoses.

BTW, many silicone hoses are NOT rated for petro fuel applications. The silicone absorbs the gas, swells & breaks down! Check the specs first!

21. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Are you worried about a spark when cutting off the old hose?

I don't think aluminum will spark by scoring it with a knife anyway.