Oil in the Testarossa's gearbox... | FerrariChat

Oil in the Testarossa's gearbox...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vegascop1, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vegascop1

vegascop1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I have a question for all the mechs out there that like to do their simple fluid changes themselves. I drained all the oil from the gearbox out of my TR per the owners manual. Everything went nice and smooth. The manual also stated that the gearbox hold give or take 10 US quarts of oil. Now on page 81 re-fill procedures, the manual says to put 17 pints into the clutch housing, which I did. Now 17 pints thats about 8 1/2 quarts of oil. That leaves me with 1 1/2 quarts for the mail gearbox! I just dont see it, I will need another 10 by the way it looked coming out!

Who can shed a light on this situation? Is the manual wrong about the clutch housing? What is the deal. The more I go thru this manual I see more and more typos, this is not good. I mean stupid things like the defrost and fog light switches reversed on the "instrument and controls" page 23.

Sooo now Im stuck and waiting for some experienced words of wisdom. Where can I get some manuals that I can trust?

Thnx,
    Ski

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ski -- the "17 pints" is a misprint (and it appears in both the '89 and '91 US TR OMs that I have) -- should be "0.17 pints minimum". No harm done -- finish the filling either way (to the 9~10 total quarts) and you're good to go.

"Where can I get some manuals that I can trust?" -- These don't exist IME. The best you can do is get what's available (OM, SPC, WSM, wiring diagram, etc.) and then blend it with some other F model/version experience (the more the better, which is why the professional F mechanics get the best overall "education" ;)) -- e.g., if you were an ex-308er you would have seen the correct "0.17 pints" in that documentation.

Welcome to FChat...

3. vegascop1

vegascop1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Geezzz...how many ounces is that???? should I drain the clutch housing or does the rest of the oil go into the main housing? I did put my finger into the fill hole of the main housing and I didnt feel any oil in there...

Please let me know...

thnx,
    Ski

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It is sort of an annoying spec that doesn't have an everyday feel isn't it;)

I must confess that I have no 1st hand knowledge about the transfer gear area having an overflow path to the main gearbox reservoir on a TR (and I don't want any!), but others have posted that it does (and the fact that you poured 17 pints into it, and it didn't fill up completely is a good clue that it does). I'd just keep adding -- either you'll get to full after a reasonable total amount or you won't...