308 Belt Service Parts | FerrariChat

308 Belt Service Parts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Sean F., Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    What parts do I need for a 308 Belt Service?

From what I've researched, I need

Cam Cover Gasket - qt. 2
    Cam oil Seal - qt. 4
    Belts - qt. 2
    Tensioner Bearing - qt. 2

Isn't the bearing an SKF and has anyone found a non-OEM (read non-Ferrari jacked up price) for that bearing?

Am I missing anything?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you're replacing the cam oil seals on the front end of the engine, wouldn't you want to do the distributor oil seals & gaskets (if you don't have some aftermarket crank-triggered ignition set-up) and air pump oil seal at the other end? If you're planning on removing the cam drive pulleys from the camshafts I believe there are o-rings involved (but I'd just remove/reinstall the whole cam assys, and if the marks were within reason at reassembly not worry about it -- of course, that assumes you get the cam caps back on correctly ;)). What's the mile/time interval? Unless it's fairly fresh, I wouldn't put all that labor into it and not replace the AC V-belt, the WP/alt V-belt, plus whatever short water hose connections are disassembled (and maybe the AC idler pulley bearings and/or WP bearings, but only if I found they didn't "feel" too good with the V-belts removed).

(I love that "extra" roof/bonnet paint on your non-US GTB -- best looking coachwork of all the 308GTB/S IMO.)

3. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I'm not sure if the cam-seals need to be done or not, but I just included that to cover all the bases.

The WP belt was replaced with the WP before I bought it.

I honestly have no idea when the belts were done. The shop that sold me the car claimed the belts were done in 1997, but then it basically stat in storage with very little use until I put 1100-miles on it driving it home from NJ.

The accesory belts is a good idea though.

Also, what "extra" paint work are you talking about? My car is a US '77 GTB and stock as far as I can tell.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    If you are checking valve clearances which is a good idea when you change the t-belts you will need an assortment of shims. If the cam seals aren't leaking I wouldn't change them. A friend of mine changed his and it started leaking where before it didn't. Don't forget to regrease the tensioner springs internally. It is best to clean them and then pack with fresh grease. If the car has been sitting for long periods it would also be good to change your fuel lines at the carbs. Cheap and they have been known to leak ad cause engine fires.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I thought F added the extra louvers in the engine bonnet on all US 308 GTB/S to help deal with the extra heat generated by air injection, but I checked the SPCs and that's only on the '78-'79 so my bad (I should have done that before posting).
    By "extra" paint I just mean having the roof and more of the engine bonnet painted compared to the later US 308GTS -- gives it more of a BB512 look IMO.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    All GTBs have roofs that match the body color. It's the GTS's that don't, except a rare few (like mine). :)

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As far as bearings go I would stick the SKF. They are not that expensive if you shop around, and their quality is very good if not the best. This is one area to stick to the good stuff. There is another bearing maker out there.....but the name excapes me at the moment.

8. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
  9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name: