612 Scag - Biggest Disappointment of Detroit | Page 3 | FerrariChat

612 Scag - Biggest Disappointment of Detroit

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jason, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #51 CCarlisi, Feb 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Thats 10 times nicer than the 612 Scaglietti.

3. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Don't take it to heart, CAR spew rubbish like this all the time. They don't have anything insightful to say so they resort to cheap shots. This is the same magazine that thought the Stradale too loud and hard-riding. Gave them feedback in their hearing aids and their hats kept falling off. Allegedly.

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    It's stylish,it's classy and will sell like hotcakes for the first few years(surely better then any Lambo ever made).
    If it stays in production as long as 456 did,of course it will be available sooner or later of the showroom floor,no wait lists etc.

5. cheddah

cheddah Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    I do not really like the look of the new 2+2. It looks like a typical second generation Pininfarina design i.e.:

Daytona neat enclosed headlamps (which people said they hated at first)
    Daytona NA spec: pop ups which ruin line of car.

Testarossa neat eggcrate grill with little details at front that make it interesting
    512TR still eggcrate but smoothed out any semblance of details.

308 great jutting bumper (IMHO) great contrast of sharp creases and curves
    328 looks "square" in front

456 great looking front end, with little details that make it interesting.
    456M glfe rubbed over with eraser to erase details.

6. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I will be the one, keeping my entry level F-car spider and real 2 door V12 (like what I have now). I will add 2+2 low profile F-car to drive it everyday. Why not??

7. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Time to get a better resolution scanner or digital camera!!

Here is the better ones,

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The most depressing day of ownership will be the first ride from the dealership to your garage. You will not have to pick up your laundered
    shirt from you know where. That car will lose how much on driveout ?
    Imagine the clown who will pay full list on the car the first six months
    it is on the lot !

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually Ralph, I think the typical 612 buyer will not care about depreciation. They will not be buying to flip. Again, you need to see this car in person. It looks much better than in pics.

Dale

ps I hear that you're going way off the deep end, like with a Boxer? You know there's one in town for sale, yes? Apparently, it has issues, but you seem to like issues. Just kidding

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Dale. I am just waiting for the "follow up" phone call. Everything is supposedly agreed upon. Next hurdle is the inspection ? Original
    owner BBi. The same collector who let me have one of his beautiful
    toys. He is not exactly happy to let this one go. The ball is in his
    court. I should hear something in a day or two. I have been going
    back in forth with him for about two-three months.

You are probably correct about the 612. Those nice 2 + 2's take a
    dive. I assume all (2 +2's) are probably that way ? I like the 456.

11. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

12. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    Personally I like the 612. It is not my favorite Ferrari or even in my top ten, but I do think it is an improvement from the 456. I liked the 456 but thought it was a little too plain. I like the fenders on the new car. All that being said the 612 is my least favorite current ferrari, but that ain't bad.

13. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben

14. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Benedict,

Maybe you hit the proverbial nail on the head. The new car is for... women! Call it a Ferrari SUV/MiniVan/Station Wagon. Patek Philippe and other luxury goods manufacturers are now realizing that women also desire exotic toys.

So the 612 could very well be Ferrari's answer for women. The Ferrari family car.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

16. DeWitt

DeWitt Rookie

Jan 29, 2004
    Denver CO - St Louis
    Full Name:
    Paul DeWitt
    I think the 612 looks somewhat similar to the Ford Thunderbird that came out a few years ago. The lines around the front end and going towards the cockpit bear that similarity, in my opinion. Many in Detroit thought the Thunderbird was directly aimed at women.

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

18. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #68 Garretto, Feb 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You guys look at this picture... I must admit it shows its best angle but you cannot tell me this looks ugly!!! Give it a chance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Interesting - my wife also loves the 612.

20. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Christ that looks almost as bad as the SLR...No wonder press guys are savaging it.

21. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001
    A $15,000 Hyundai is a car you can "give it a chance". A $250,000 car is something that should be love at first sight. My 2¢

22. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    Our female counterparts seem to be starting a trend here. My girlfriend also likes this car, the first time she saw it, she said I WANT ONE.

As for me, well, i do not mind the 612 so much. I am sure the over time we will come to enjoy the lines of the 612. I say this because i was not partial to many older Ferraris. A significant one being the 275GTB/4. I do not feel that same way now, I learned to like the look. It is almost the same look that the new 612 has. Many car companies are modifying older car designs. I think that Ferrari got the 612 by really putting the 456M and the 275GTB/4 together. That is just what i see in the car.. And like most cars, I am sure that the 612 looks much better in person.

On a slightly different note, i think that unfortunately car designs have started to become quite ugly with the new millenium. Many companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and other Euro's still like great. But lets face it, many other cars that are coming out are very ugly. And on top of that, people like Cadillac are making supercars that blow even the Enzo away.....that truly saddens me.

23. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Mako-

Just curious what you do not like about the 328 - I feel it was a pretty good car for it's time and still looks / drives great today. A little underpowered would be my biggest complaint.

24. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I love it. I wish GM would have made new C-6 look this good, but than it wouldn't be a GM car.

25. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Ahhh..... Even though you don't like my beautiful TR, I've got to agree with you here. Fugly.

Personally, I think that, with the exception of (maybe) the Enzo, all of the newer Ferrraris (after the 355, f40, f50) have started to squint a bit....