can't open heater vent in 328! | FerrariChat

can't open heater vent in 328!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Crawford, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    The vent direction LED switch on the drivers side of my 86 328 is not working (yellow LED's). I can't get any 'blips' to appear and I don't hear the vent director moving from under the dash. I do not get any air blowing either from below or above the dash. Looks like the vent is stuck closed.

I checked the archives, and took out the switch and sprayed some contact cleaner on it. No luck.

My other controls all work fine - just the one LED is not functioning and the vent does not adjust. I'm not crazy about spending $850 to replace the switch; could it be something else - possibly the motor that redirects the vents? I do hear a faint click from under the left side of the dash when I press down the rocker switch...

It's starting to get chilly in Music City and I would sure like to have some heat on the drivers side. If it is this LED switch, can it be repaired??

2. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Swap switches, see if the problem follows the switch, if it does you know the switch is bad.

3. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    The switches are not interchangable, if you can believe that!!!

And the drivers side switch is more expensive than the passenger side (of course).

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Too bad you don't live close to me - You could drive it over to my house & plop it in my car since it is all apart right now anyway.

5. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Yeah, I told my mechanic to let me know next time he get's in a 328 and I'll swap controls to see if it's the switch...

Irvine, CA would be a bit of a drive!

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Would be fun though - Get our "non red" 328's together. :)

7. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    That is a BEAUTIFUL color on your car. Gorgeous!

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Crawford - Now if I can finally get done with my month long project, I may even be able to drive it one day. :)

If it wasn't for the fine folks here at F-Chat, I would have surely given up by now!