550 Brake pads | FerrariChat

550 Brake pads

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bobafett, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Guys,

Time for me to change pads (actually, I'm a bit overdue). I'm going with Porterfield R4Ss, I think. They seem to be well received, and are considerably cheaper than the OEM pads (almost 900 new for fronts OEM, 250 for both front and rear R4S). Also they are supposedly little squeak (mine had no squeak, so this will make it worse), and low dusting (a good thing). Anyone had experience with this or any other brands other than OEM?

Also, anyone jacked up a 550 at home? Looking for a low profile jack (found one on griots) and stands. I'm also unsure as to whether I can jack the car up and lower it onto a stand if the stand is next to the jack (on each corner). I'll take a mirror to the underside and let you guys know.

OH, random aside, has anyone turned off the airbag? My cousin is visiting with child, would like to put a baby seat in there. I know, I know, RTFM.

--Dan

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The R4S will still dust badly if you are harsh on them. Otherwise, light dusting. But if you plan on tracking the 550, don't do it. Get some R4's or other race compounds for the track.

maranelloman Dave... care to chime in on this one?

3. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I found an aluminum jack on EBay that looks quite similar to the one at the Griott catalog, paid less than 150 for it...and it says Ferrari on it...works great on my 550...send me a private email if you need to know the seller...I am sure he can sell you one...he buys them at walmart or somewhere and jazzes them up, and they do work but the Griott one is 900 bucks if I am not mistaken

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Coachi,

Check your PM. Much thanks.

--Dan

5. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I use Ferodo DS2500's in my Maranello now. Hardly any dust at all, great hybrid street/track (and I drive it HARD on track) without the corrosiveness or squeaking of a dedicated track pad, and very easy on rotors..

As for jacks: get the aluminum one from Harbor Freight. IIRC, it's like $179, best jack you will ever get, and lightweight to boot.

6. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Dan,
    Go with Axxis Ultimates... Ceramic composite street pads, easy on the rotors, and dust-free... I was going to put them on my 348 but never had a chance to. If you want I can put you in touch with the guys at Cobalt Friction for a discount.

Byron

7. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Also an excellent choice. I use them as street pads on my M3. Very, very nice.

8. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
  9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    They're actually RS19's Syd. The 4-4 are Orange and only a small step up from 4-2 Blue.

I put some 4-2 in another 550 to yours, and although not bad on the road, they still suffered at Calder Park (hard on brakes), so I try to get RS19 for everything if available.

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Forgot to say....

Have just removed Syds RS19's after doing the whole build up to the rally, then the rally, then a fair few Km on the road since.......and only worn each pad about 1mm. No significant disc wear either.

The only reason I removed them is because the car is now for sale (as std car), and so are the nearly new pads!

11. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Thanks for the correction Phil. I was also pleasantly surprised that they work well when cold in city driving...

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Guys, thanks for the recommendations. I've ordered the Porterfields, so let's see how they work. Due in a day or two. Worst case, we switch to another brand after a while. Byron, thanks for the tip. I will check up with you later.

OH, has anyone changed to slotted rotors? I know it's a bit overkill to swap rotors, but I've got a bit of a lip on the inner and outer rings from the wear. Also, a little hairline cracking has begun for some of the drill holes.

Dave: is this the jack: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3941 ?? Do you need "ramps" to get the car up another inch or so before sliding it in, or does it just go? I'll probably put a 1x1 between the mount point and the lift pad.

Also, how are you lifting the car? I can't decide on whether I want to just try lifting one wheel at a time and doing them, or whether I want to remove the belly pans in front and rear, and then lower the car onto jack-stands on some of the frame members in front and rear. They're not as wide as the jack points, but there's not too much I can do about that. Problem with that approach is that I'll need two jacks.

--Dan

13. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    would you be kind enough to emailo me...i dont likethis pm format...dont know how to use it.

Thanks.

14. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Dan, yes that is the jack. I normally jack from one of the jack points & get both wheels on that side of the car off the ground (don't forget to put on the e-brake & put a chock or brick behind the rear wheel on the ground). Makes it easier. As for a small lip & small cracks at the holes, don't worry about them IMO. Measure your rotor thickness, and compare to the minimum thickness printed on the rotor rim (30mm, IIRC). When I replace mine when they are sufficiently worn, I will be looking at using slotted rotors, however. Much more effective on track.

15. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The discs have been changed. Original ones have larger holes, it's either 5 or 6mm, can't be sure without looking.

New ones have only 4mm holes and don't crack so bad.

For track work, slotted would be better, haven't trawled the brembo catalogue for a suitable part number though.......anyone?

When you look at the disc, you'll see they "look" directional, with regard to the hole pattern, yet they are fitted "backwards" on one side of the car.

16. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Yeah, I don't know why they do that. Look at a Porsche, and the holes splay back properly on either side of the car. Looks like Ferrari cheaped out & only bought on erotor, and used it on both sides of the car, whereas Porsche used proper, truly directional rotors.

17. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    the jack that I have seems to be the same as the one at harbor freight..but the fellow who sold it to me had Ferrari pasted all over it...it is cheaper here at 130 bucks :)

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Coachi: thanks.

Dave: so you are not putting it up on stands at all? I've gotta figure out how to get it up on stands... I'll try to do an oil service next. :D

As for slotted, I got a line for slotted rotors, which I prefer anyways. I don't think these are done yet, but when they get there, I know what I'm replacing them with.

Will order the jack today. Thanks.

--Dan

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Dan, can you please PM me with your source for slotted rotors?

Many thanks,

Dave