For Sale Testarossa 1991 below $65K | FerrariChat

For Sale Testarossa 1991 below $65K

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Cavallino Motors, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
  2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    When I mentioned to Hugh Steward at FOA that I had heard of a 1990 TR selling at auction for $39k, his response was "...how many do you want for that price..." The TR market is still going down......

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Frank, was this $39k TR coming with history? If not I wouldn't touch it for 20k IMHO. Why would you chance something like that? We all know how much maintenance is on these cars.
    Erik

5. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    How low does everyone think these cars will get? They can't go much lower before you have a choice between a 308 or a TR! They already seem to be in the upper range of 328's at 65ish... or would I be paying out the nose? For 70k I'd take a TR over 348(!) its no contest... if I didn't go for a 330GT 2+2 that is. It just seems to me that these cars should start leveling out price-wise, if they haven't already. Am I missing a big point in the market, or would most people agree with me?

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    I no longer keep up on the TR market (sold mine in 1999) but at 40-50K for a good example (one that has been serviced well) I can't imagine why they are not selling other than the issue of maintenance costs and the fact that most of the Ferrari models of the 80's have somewhat bad reputations (unjustified in my opinion).

I think part of the problem is the fact that all Ferrari models are coming down in price (used).

A 355 can now be had for 80K, a 550 for 100K, a 456 for 100K and so on. You really have to want a TR and be willing to put up with inferior quality (both real and perceived) and in most cases similar performance.

I miss my TR and may get another but driving one back to back with a 355 shows it's age. They both perform about the same, but the 355 seems much more modern, better built, and easier to drive.

However, in my view for street driving the TR is much more rewarding to drive. The 355 is an everyday-drive-to work car, while the TR is a weekend blast down an old country road car.

A friend of mine, who owns and aftermarket auto service shop recently bought a TR for 38K (89). He had to rebuild the gearbox and do some engine work that cost him 15K.

I think the bottom line is that these cars have a love hate following. People either love them or hate them in terms of styling and more and more people are getting into Ferrari ownership and wanting 90's type reliability and ease of use along with cheaper (if we can call any F car cheap) maintenance.

The TR is not cheap to maintain, not easy to drive, and not a good everyday car.

That's a plus to some and a detraction to others.

I for one hope to have another TR in my garage some day.

Martin: that's a great price for a TR, wish I was in the market right now.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FWIW you're quoting the extreme high-end of the market. Anyone who pays 60k for a 328 is nuts, maybe 50-ish at the outside for a perfect '89. A couple years ago (when I had some money) I was offered a black/merlot TR (88 I think) for $20k. The car was nice except for one thing...the owner had tried to start it and run it immediately on a very cold morning and the engine went KA-CHUNK! Another $20k in engine work and I'd have had a good TR, just didn't want to make the move then. And yes, that's what the work cost to put it right -- I know the shop owner.

Mark

8. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Good thing I'm not in the market for a 328... yet! ;) Thanks for the correction. But do you think the price of TR's will keep dropping? They're a great pinacle car for all of automotive history and a milestone in Ferrari's history. For what the car represents I just don't understand why they keep plumeting in price?

9. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I called 2 nights ago about a 60k mile 328 that was advertised for $27k. He said he just sold it for $25k but it did have the major service due. Still, could have been in a 328 for under $30 even after the service and some extras I'm sure.

10. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Service costs and lots of folks just don't like the looks. The 512TR and the F512M are holding pretty well, but the earlier TRs are still dropping. I want one, so I'm keeping tabs on the market! Good examples of 85/86 TRs can be had in the 40's now, even high 30's with mileage and needing some work.

Mark

11. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    I doubt a dealer would sell a CLEAN fully serviced 1990 TR for $39k. Did he have a TR on his sales floor? Maybe he was bad mouthing a car that he did not have in inventory to sell to sell what he had on the floor.

Sales 101 is that you sell what you got, he did not have one.

What auction did the $39k TR for sell in? Was it in the US? What condition?