Is it a conflict? | FerrariChat

Is it a conflict?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gilles27, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Got to thinking the other day. What is everyone's feelings about a team principal "owning" multiple drivers on the grid the way Briatore does? For years now, it seems like we've heard over and over again about Flavio moving Driver A over here, cutting Driver D, retaining Driver C to do his gardening, etc. It just seems to me like there is a potential conflict of interest with one team manager controlling so many of the drivers. Yes? No? Shut up you whiny loser and watch the race?

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    When It comes to F1 and "Conflict of interest" look no further than Burnie...

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Ah yes. Good point. Lead by example, I always say!

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    What's that Sorry a little old lady 100 yards away just dropped a penny and bernie is wresteling her for it.... Come on Gran ma bite him back!!

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would think it could become a conflict of interest. If it weren't for F1, but in the real biz world one would probably question Briatore. Oh wait, they didn't care about Cheney's oil involvements either. Maybe not.

OTOH I think Flabbio wants to make the most $$$ so he is probably doing the right thing. Honestly I give the guy a lot of credit, after all he was fast and slick enough to get MS and his Benetton team going. Not bad for a de facto outsider of the biz (his background was in marketing).

Now as far as Bernie goes: Where is the conflict of interest? No, I'm not THAT naive (just a bit), but he actually sold his Brabham team to run F1 his way. Sure that freed up some of his time, but also resolved a conflict of interest. Say what you want about Bernie (and I don't agree on all he does), but for the most part he is a benevolent dictator. He is probably making too much money off the TV rights, but then again it was him who is holding F1 together and made it what it is today (with all the negatives that come with that). I do believe him, when he says the team bosses are too egoistic and would run F1 into the ground.

Think about Bernie this way: The guy is one of the richest guys in the UK (has btw one of the coolest Ferrari collections in the world). He has a lovely wife and all the luxury you can imagine. Why would he still at 70+ go through the grind? Because he loves it and believes in it. And because he keeps saying that nobody else has showed up to run it. And I think that is sadly true. Mosley is an idiot. Some of the team bosses have the smarts (Dennis, Williams, Montezemolo), but they have their own interests.

But the question remains: Who can run it after Bernie? Please not another Tony George or F1 will become a footnote in racing history.

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I know it is a sad thing what has happened to open wheel racing here

Tony George killed both series

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It truly is. I'm first and foremost a F1 fan, but did love CART because it was what F1 used to be about 15 years ago (before Bernie began the commercialization, as I said, he also brought bad stuff to the deal).

I could even have warmed up to IRL as their aspirated engines were somewhat like F1, but not as long as they just drive in ovals and have (because of that) second class drivers. Ok, they got better ones now because CART is dying.

I hope Tony is happy and proud when he sees his demented NASCAR cars racing in the Indy oval.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee I thought this post was about me just purchasing a Toyota family car ... now who am I supposed to root for when watching F1!!!!

Now if Toyota start winning, or improving atleast, then I might purchase a Toyota F1 sticker for the rear window ... but I still a Ferrari F1 man 100% ;)

Pete

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My girlfriend has a Camry, but I'm still a tifosi. If Ferrari would ever drop out of F1 though, those Celicas would start to look mighty good...
    :)

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas wrote:
    Now as far as Bernie goes: Where is the conflict of interest? No, I'm not THAT naive (just a bit), but he actually sold his Brabham team to run F1 his way. Sure that freed up some of his time, but also resolved a conflict of interest. Say what you want about Bernie (and I don't agree on all he does), but for the most part he is a benevolent dictator. He is probably making too much money off the TV rights, but then again it was him who is holding F1 together and made it what it is today (with all the negatives that come with that). I do believe him, when he says the team bosses are too egoistic and would run F1 into the ground.

Think about Bernie this way: The guy is one of the richest guys in the UK (has btw one of the coolest Ferrari collections in the world). He has a lovely wife and all the luxury you can imagine. Why would he still at 70+ go through the grind? Because he loves it and believes in it. And because he keeps saying that nobody else has showed up to run it. And I think that is sadly true. Mosley is an idiot. Some of the team bosses have the smarts (Dennis, Williams, Montezemolo), but they have their own interests.

But the question remains: Who can run it after Bernie? Please not another Tony George or F1 will become a footnote in racing history.

I don't doubt Bernie loves it, but I think it's wishful thinking to say it's the racing he loves. He's in love with the position, the power, and doesn't want to see his "baby" in the hands of anyone else. He knows how ruthless the sport can be, and the minute he's out, HE'S OUT. Regardless of who runs it, they need to reestablish a connection with the fan base.