Isle of Man weekend anyone ??? | FerrariChat

Isle of Man weekend anyone ???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by F308 MAN, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Congratulations to the guys who organised the Jct 600 run out at the weekend....i did briefly visit, although discreetly.
    Anybody fancy a weekend summer jaunt to the wonderful Isle of Man ?
    We have fantastic roads, no gatsos, superb scenery, and above all, no speed limits (out of built up areas)
    I am willing to help with the organisation of Hotel(s), ferry crossings, parking etc.
    ........just a thought

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I would be game for that. keep us imformed as to when.My boss and my self along with some of his mates are going to the south of France for aweek in may(5 ferraris),so keep us posted and i will go.

3. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

Greatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt deal me in.

Regards

Stewart

4. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Chaa - don't know if your dates/route are fleble but Club Ferrari France (the french version of FOC) are running track days at Castellet/Paul Ricard in the S of France on 12/13 June and Pau Arnos track on the 28,29 & 30th May.

Izza

5. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Bump*

I'm up for it. although i got no Ferrari, anyone let me have a go in their's? lol...wishful thinking or what?!?! hhehe

On a serious side, yeah, sounds great Spring is quite a nice time around these neck of the woods with LOTS of beautiful, scenic photo opportunities.

come on guys, we all know you break the 70mph limit on the motorway, but your also not on a paridise...;)

6. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah I'm a possible, depending on dates. Any ideas?

Mark

7. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Dave - I only realised it was you when you said you were off to catch a plane, it took a second or two for the penny to drop.

Anyway hope to see you in the Isle of Man - great TT memories from there. I'm up for a trip there.

Rick

8. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Clint
    How about some dates?

We should aim to avoid TT time, so we have don't have to share the road space with the thousands of motorbikes and we should also avoid a date that's too far into the future or the idea will wear off.

I'm thinking around mid-late spring or early summer. March/April?

Late May is when the TT starts and this we should avoid if you want to have the roads to 'yourselves'.

9. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Sounds like a great idea, but depends on the dates!

Cheers, MARK (in New York)

10. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    .....hotel and ferry details/information currently being collated.....if anyone is uncertain or considering a visit, perhaps you may wish to loan a dvd of five ferrari strutting their stuff over the famous mountain (closed to the public) road.
    details to follow soon.
    regards, david

11. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    To anybody thats never tasted Isle of Man hospitality take my word you wont be disapointed They are all car/motorbike/racing nuts I have been twice mainly to compete in my Ferrari in the hillclimb events. Both times spent a week enjoying the fantastic mainly light traffic scenic roads and hills So go on spoil youselves
    Dave are there any firm dates yet? About four years ago there was a guy from the Isle of Man that used to race in the Marenello FerrariChallange with us that had F308 MAN on his Ferrari was this you by any chance ? If so you will remember what happened at Donnington at the Kraner curves

Regards RAY36m

12. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I have spoken to people at probably the best hotel on the island ( www.seftonhotel.co.im ) and they are able to offer me up to ten reserved car park spots in their underground, secure car park. Major crime is not a problem on the island, however for peace of mind, there is also cctv within.
    For the better rooms in the atrium area, the cost is £45 per person, per night for bed and breakfast, based upon two persons sharing a twin/double room. You would not be dissapointed.
    The problem is, they are booked up beyond the end of april.

The Isle of Man steam packet ( www.steam-packet.com ) are the only ferry providers to the island.
    There is a more regular, seacat, fast craft (2.5 hours) service to and from liverpoool, however the vehicles are crammed in like sardines - definitely not recomended !
    The conventional ferry, the "Ben-my-Chree" sails daily from Heysham, nr Morecombe, Lancs. twice daily @ 02:15 and 14:15. As from the end of next month there is to be a first class lounge available on board.
    The journey is aprox. 3.5 hours and there are the usual facilities.
    Return times from the island are 08:45 and 19:45.
    The lads loading are sensible too, and every assistance will be given where necessary.
    The sample costs i acquired, departing on friday april 30th @14:15, and returning from Douglas @ 19:45 on the sunday equate to £149 for a car and two passengers.

In summary, the "fixed cost" per person for the two night weekend equals £164:50......You will have free access to the finest road racing circuit in the world, no speed limits, and a plentiful supply of eating and drinking establishments !

For further info checkout www.gov.im/tourism

There are obviously further hotels available should these dates (and the associated cooler temperatures) prove to be a problem.
    Maybe we should all put forward dates that are, or are not, available to individuals ?
    I look forward to hearing from you all, especially "Klint" with his offer of help should this "event" take place !
    There are also local owners, who i am certain would wish to be involve too, if tha is acceptable ?

Sounds good, may even join in myself !

regards, david

13. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    'twas not me.....but i do know the two guys previously owning the reg. plate.....also another who raced a 308 in the challenge series but became disillusioned once the modified/non modified classes were amalgamated......i shall do some homework as i am now intrigued re the kraner curves incident......any clues ray ???

14. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    Count me in!

The wheel is back on the car and she is running beautifully! Ask the local Police officers who seemed to be out in force on my local bypass Yesterday. By the time I went back for my second run, I got caught in Traffic and so I cruised past the hastily arriving Pigs....I must have been doing 55mph. They looked Gutted....

I can't do early to mid May as I am Gumballing, but am only 1.5 hours from Liverpool, so should be easy for me!

Looking forward to it!

Ed

15. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Dave,

Great work on getting the estimates!

I'll see if Duke have anything in regards to their trackdays, around April - that's if it's worth it since we already have a circuit in our back garden?

How about lunches/evening entertainment? Places like the Golf Links hotel/Grand Island, pub lunches? and so and so? I'll have a browse through "The Best Business" guide for more ideas and I'll be posting those asap. Speaking of which, there's a nice pub lunch to be had down at Glen Helen, with sterloin stake grills etc to be had, those are tastey.

Locations for photo opportunities: Along the road that goes over the round table from Foxdale down to Port Erin, also the Old mines at Foxdale would be good for a group shot, or maybe at the motorcycle museum car park?

16. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Klint....good idea......I know peter duke.....do you want to leave that one with me ?.....d

17. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    I have spoken to gavin at duke (the video people).
    They offer a track day package, including ferry and accommodation,which i do not believe is as competitive or attractive as the details i "prepared earlier".
    They are able to offer track time on our local race circuit at jurby (10am - 5pm) on the saturday for up to ten cars (plus other bookings they have).....this is no brands hatch, but it does hold an ACU bike race certificate. Medics, marshalls and briefing facilities are all available but they do encourage us to find a pub for lunch (i recommend Rosies' place at sulby crossroads).....it is a good, basic but challenging airfield type circuit. Cost £85.
    However, a company i think are called "track daze" are hoping to hold on april 25th, a session on the sunday morning on "closed roads" (road closed to the public) between ramsey hairpin and the bungalow (refer your TT circuit map within tourism website).....clarkson & co tested some "top gear" motors in similar circumstances last year, i believe......i shall look further into this.
    cheers for now, david
    ps...."gina" has now returned from bradford, resplendant with her new interior.....anyboby interested in pics and costings ?

18. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Anyone still interested?

Dave,

Sorry I haven't been around for a while...been caught up in things. I still need to find the name of that pub in Glen Maye (!)

19. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    "The Waterfall" ?
    Ditto.....Anyone still interested ?

20. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Clint
    That's the one!v

21. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    Ray...the guy in qestion at Kraner curves is a chap i know.....it was five years ago and his reg is A308 MAN......he allegedly clipped the countdown marker on the inside, lost it and spun off on the outside of the circuit.....john wasn't sure what the markers were made of, and as his car is glass fibre, he had an attackof the "willys" just before impact.(Unless you know different ???)

With regards to the Isle of Man weekend......does anybody fancy a trip further into the summer ie July,August or even September ?

22. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yep, I am interested, is'nt the Manx Grand Prix ? in August ?

23. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    i'm most certainley interested, could you keep me in mind.

24. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I'm still interested.