Mount Rainer loop | FerrariChat

Mount Rainer loop

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by shelbee, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shelbee

shelbee Guest

What do you guys think about driving around Mount Rainer in this coming summer instead of Cascade loop??

Got back from Crystal Mountain skiing today and the road is very nice (no pot holes), scenery was spectacular

We all can stay overnight in Yakima, or elsewhere.

There will be a bicycle ride annually using the same route.

2. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Hey Shelbee,

May I make a suggestion about routes; the back side of the Mt Rainier loop is extremely bumpy and the Paradise side is always heavy with traffic. Why don't you Take Hwy410 up to sunrise and then head over the pass through Naches and down to Yakima and up the Ellingsberg Canyon Rd toward I-90. It's a great loop and would have less traffic than the Rainier loop.

If I have my Stradale by then I will join you.

3. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Just a suggestion. Obviously need to work on details and forward the idea to Will D. the activity coordinator

4. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Great idea but how do we make it a two night deal like the north cascades loop?

5. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Gwat........even if you don't have your CS by then you should join us!

6. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Hi Folks,
    I think a run around - or through, over, etc. - Rainer would be a great trip for the summer. Do I get the feeling there's someone willing to step up as the coordinator? :)

Also, I've been working with the head of the Cobra club to put together a Cascade trip for July. It will be a slightly different route than our usual every-other-year Cascade Loop and we'll stay at Sun Mountain.

Picture carving up the mountain roads with a bunch of wild 289 and 427 Cobras (mostly real but some replicas). More info on that trip will be in the Machc or April newsletter.

- Will

7. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    As long as you all wouldn't mind a Dodge running with you.

8. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Hmmm...a revival of the Ferrari-Cobra War in mountain roads? Intriguing. Could be a legend in the making...

9. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Vipers, Cobras, and stallions. Now that's what I'm talking about.

10. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I have a friend who purchased an almost new Cobra kit produced in South Africa who would love to join us on a drive. I've driven it and it is positively scary.

11. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I am not sure whether I want to join Cobra group. I kind of like to keep it exclusively with F-cars only

12. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Yes I do mind Dodge running with my Spider. No thanks.

Perhaps with Murchi or Gallargo will be cool.

For Rainer loop I will volunteer perhaps with KUZI

13. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I won't see you there then.

14. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Shelbee, you probably won't even make it out to the drive to Rainier (if we have one) so it won't matter if Cobras and Dodges run with the cavallinos. I'm sure you'll have some excuse... "going to the BC to workout", I mean sit in the sauna and steam room. LOL!!! :)

15. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    If its a Doc Shelbee event, then I suppose he can decide if he wants to run with only 2001 F360s with shields, or black 8-cylinder cars, or cars bought out of state, or who knows what... But I suspect you'll find the rest of us will encourage any and all interested drivers, irrespective of vehicle, to join in on the fun.

I for one am really looking forward to the trip with the Cobra club. I'm a car nut first and jsut happen to own a couple ferraris now. I love hanging with other car nuts and enjoy meeting people with similar interests. I've thoroughly enjoyed driving with other club members who may not have been driving a Ferrari at the moment. Heck, some of the best drives I've been on have been with a wide assortment of exotics and non-exotics. It's about having fun with cars for me, not about being exclusive and snobbish about my pretty little car.

So don't let one obnoxious opinion keep you away.

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Eric,

I'm surprised we haven't done an "ALL ITALIAN CAR DRIVE". There's quite a few Maserati and Alfa owners around. A few stray Lambos too. I'm sure they'd like to get their machines out for a run with us. Good way to promote the clubs.

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gwat-sama,
    Please ignore Dr.Shelbee's comment. I'm sure he is only kidding. You can bring whatever you like to our drives. I have even attended in my old Honda Accord, when my Ferrari was in the shop!... not to worry.

Dave

18. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary

Shelbee,

Your arrogant attitute SUCKS big time.

I don't see anything wrong with GWat driving his Dodge Viper or having the Cobra Club (or any other car club) join the Ferrari Club in a drive. Hell, I did a joint club drive last year in my Fiat with the Miata Club and had a really great time. It's all about having fun with fellow car enthusiasts, not about what brand/model of car you may happen to own.

19. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Vipers, Cobras, Cavallinos... just imagine the music created by the ponies under the hood blasting through/around Rainier. Wicked!!

20. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Gwat............bring your "Dodge" only if you offer up rides in it!!:)
    I'll state again....even if you don't have your CS by then, you are more than welcome to join us!!........In fact as a future CS owner, its mandatory. Oh yeah, you have to offer up rides in that too!!

21. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    :) Tim

22. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Wow, I didn't mean to stir things up. I can understand that some don't like my current ride. I has the refinement of a brick and the international appeal of a corn nut, but it is a blast to go through the gears in.

In the past two years I've been to 3 F1 races (France, Germany, US), 2 owner events in Italy (the F1 launch a few weeks ago and a Mugello test session last July), Maranello three times and am currently in my 2nd quarter of Italian class. I've sent my resume to Ferrari looking for a potential internship at the factory. Being on the short list of soon to be Stradale owners and my travels to Maranello twice in the last 6 months, I think qualifies me as a true tifoso.

But, I understand...

23. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Oh yeah...and NASCAR bites ;-)

24. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Gordo,

You (and your wife) should come karting with Kuzi, Kai, and I at Champs Karting in SODO Seattle (near Costco and Safeco field). The track at the Seattle Champs is much better than the Mill Creek facility. Champs claims that it's the largest indoor track (1/4 mile) on the Westcoast. And this summer we'll hit the ones outdoor as you suggested.

F1 rules!!

25. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Send me a PM and let me know when and I'll let you know if we can make it.