what is the top speed of a 360 Modena? | FerrariChat

what is the top speed of a 360 Modena?

Discussion in '360/430' started by axis007, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axis007

axis007 Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    #1 axis007, Feb 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    295km/h is about it, on a still day on level ground.

Like the photo.....but we can all jack the car up and spin the wheels...........lets see the view through the screen?

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Interesting...

How fast would it go with no rolling or air friction?

Vincent.

4. axis007

axis007 Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    #4 axis007, Feb 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III

Hi James, not to draw you off topic but congratulations on your car winning SCC! A lot of us 350 guys are proud of your work :)

As far as your 360 goes....I have seen some other 360s do the same (bury the needle), and honestly I doubt it is possible for the car to be that inaccurate. I have heard most speedos range from 1% to 5%, but 15mph from 200mph is more than double that. I guess the only way to sure is stick a Garmin unit in there and do it again, or to be absolutely positive, do it with a radar gun.

Are those photos in your car from the G3k rally last year?

Cheers,
    Richard

6. axis007

axis007 Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    thanks , winning the USSC was great,

the pics on the 360 Modena was in NV when I ran in G3K.

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    A friend of mine, here in Germany, with a stock original European 360 Modena tracked his car on a closed race track.
    Two different (police) radar systems were installed beside the track when he pushed & red-lighted the car.
    Exactly, proofed and serious results:
    318,5 km/h = 199,0625 mph!!!!

Thats it!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    It is not strange that car speedos are about 8%-10% off. Guess it might be different at different speeds... ¿? Don't know about Ferraris, though.

Also bear in mind that any difference in rolling radius will affect speedo readings (i.e. aftermarket wheels/tires with)

9. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Wolfgang, ist das auf der Opel Teststrecke?

BTW, we did 300 km/h during the PlayersRun with a 01 Euro. We had a GPS but I forgot to look at it . . .

10. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi,
    wow, I`m amazed you know the opel track?!?
    Yes, its the opel-test-track! Done last year in spring.
    Any news about the players run / europe? I remember you mentioned something about Munich this year???

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
  12. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yeah, 5-10% optimistic is common for speedos... the mfgers always make sure they measure fast (warranty shortener)... and then lower profile tires can easily speed it up another 5-10%. So 15% fast is easy to get to. And 15mph in 200mph is only half of that.

For an easy check... most highways have mile markers... compare your odometer vs. the mile markers... you should be about 0.2 miles off for each 3 miles you travel... but test that for several miles, because individual mile markers can be quite a bit off!!

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    "For an easy check... most highways have mile markers... compare your odometer vs. the mile markers... you should be about 0.2 miles off for each 3 miles you travel... but test that for several miles, because individual mile markers can be quite a bit off!!"

Often the odometer will be correct, but the speedometer will read high, so check both. GPS is the easiest way to check the speedo, but a stopwatch and the mile markers marks just fine too.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    With no friction at all it could go a bazillion miles per hour.

15. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Nope... even if you have plenty of HP to overcome all friction and air resistance, the rev limiter and gearing of your top gear will determine top speed. Remove the rev limiter, your top gear and the engineered top speed of your engine will determine top speed (above which the engine self-destructs and starts providing its own dramatic friction).

Unless, of course, you are referring to free-fall in a vaccuum. ;)

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    >>>"How fast would it go with no rolling or air friction?">>>
    With these factors gone... a bazillion miles per hour seems right to me.

17. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Your speedometer is most certainly optimistic. I have a BMW and 911 that both have optimistic speedometers- I did read an article on the BMW I own (540) where the testers (Car and Driver or Road & Track, can't remember which) stated that the speedometer was reading higher than the actual speed, however the odometer in the car was accurate.

The trip computer on my BMW is supposidly linked to the odometer and calibrates it's average fuel consumption/speed/distance to empty etc. based on that. As a result, I can hold 90 mph per my speedometer, put the computer in "average speed" mode and hit reset while holding a steady 90. The "average speed" per the computer at constant 90 mph is I believe 85 or 86- at 85 that's a 5.9% error (86 its still a 4.7% error). Anyway, I hit 140 a few times in the car, and I'm honest so tell people we probably only hit only 132 or so :)

Sorry for the long response- In summary I think your speedometer is off, particularly as I have historically read articles stating that Ferrari speedometers are optimistic (granted these were older articles on 328's and such, but probably still holds). Obviously it's the case with many other cars as well, my BMW & 911 included.

18. broomhilda

broomhilda Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Simple way to check your speedo... Take a GPS with you. We have seen 180 in our 550 but GPS said it 8mph optomistic.

19. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    About 10 -15 mph slower than a 550.

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Fedral laws apparently allow speedo errors of up to 10% without the car being "defective" for lemon law purposes. I read in Road & Track that cars sold in the USA are generally at least 4% optimistic to prevent the manufacturers from facing liability claims from drivers cited for speeding, where the driver could claim that the speedo read under the actual speed. Which is why you can safely travel at 10MPH over the posted limits on highways without fear of become a tax donater to the local enforcement agencies.

21. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    My 360 reads approx +10% as shown against navman GPS unit, at an indicated 90mph it actually only doing 81mph. The strange thing is that it seems to read more accurately at higher speeds. Will try and get a picture soon to post. Its appalling that you spend all thius money on a top end car and a basic instrument cannot be more accurate. My Aprilia RSV-R bike is accurate to around 2%.

22. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I believe it was car and driver that red-lined it at only 173 MPH. Sounds super low, but if its the redline, it can't really be argued.

23. Jeru

Jeru Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    It felt like there was more too before I dropped off.
    Actually started outrunning my headlights LOL

24. axis007

axis007 Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    so if it is 10% off, i was going about 180 then!

25. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you musta been on that frictionless track that was mentioned previously ;)

doody.