Leather Dash | FerrariChat

Leather Dash

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stuart, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I have recently acquired a 1992 512TR with 4K miles. The entire cars appears to be in keeping with a garage queen except the black dash. I notice in sunlight that the dash is fading and it seems like a lighter color is showing through. I tried all the leathertique products and the cleaner appeared to remove more of the black although it might be dirt. At the suggestion of my ferrari mechanic I tried black paste shoe polish in one area and it improved the look but I can still see the problem. Any ideas out there?

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    How about the leatherique dye? I've used in on my seats with much success.

3. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I was hoping to not have to get into that. The seats are easy in that you can remove them. Removing the dash is out of my league. Dying the dash in place looks like it will be a mess.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    First off, is the dash leather or vinyl?
    The 308 dashes are black vinyl.
    If it's vinyl:

SEM, Rust-Oleum, DuPont & others make aerosol or gun sprayable vinyl dye/paint.

Almost any auto body paint supplier will have it.

Unfortunately it's pretty much a pull the dash job unless you want to spend an enormous amount of time masking off the complete interior & risking uneven spray due to tight quarters.

If it's really leathsr:
    I'd try leatherique dye & do the dash in place. Pull the seats & carpets out, then mask off anything adjoining the area to be re-dyed. Apply the dye with a cloth covered 'staining sponge' from your local TrueValue or ACE hw store.

Leatherique's dye is water based & pretty much acts like latex paint, so 'goofs' can be cleaned off with water. Just put on several thin coats until you like the final result.

5. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    Thanks for the advice. It is a leather dash. I will guess I will order the dye and try it on a few sections that look the worst and see how it comes out. Most of the dash seems fine just a few sections that face the top seem to be the problem. I just don't understand how the leather can go bad if it is not exposed to the sun. Only the dash is black the rest of the interior is tan and looks like the day it left the factory.

6. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Staurt, I have an 86 TR, and have R&Red my whole dash. Do NOT remove this unless you are ready for a large job. That piece under the dash must have been bought by Ferrari from the Yugo factory, as it is made of a VERY flimsy piece of corrugated plasic (just like the door panels) The 512 dash rebuild has been posted a couple of times, and I'm not sure if the 512 construction is the same as the TR, but if it is, that crappy substrate will crumble to pieces. That being said, I posted some pics of my fix to the problem of the dash buckling, and the leather shrinkage around the vents here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7421

Steve's excellent work is pictured here, as well.
    Good luck.

7. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I had an 87 testarossa and the dash on the 512TR is of a much improved design. My problems are related to what appeared to be a fading of the black color. I have been doing an overnight soak in the leather rejuvenator from Girot and the dash seems to be coming around. Thanks for the advice. I will know better in a few days.

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry