How to catagorize this 328 | FerrariChat

How to catagorize this 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Doug, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Lose the wing & change the shift knob = good car. Price is reasonable also - No reserve....

PPI a must!

2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    What's with the wing and the huge shifter? And the cheapo sticker on the center console? Oh, the rear plate is from New Jersey...that explains it....

3. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I am fairly certain that this is the same car that I test drove in northern Cincinnati during late spring 2002. The year, model, color combination, wing, shifter knob, CD player model, side & rear shields, telephone antenna (rear driver's fender, just outboard of the wing) all are identical to the car I test drove, and the odometer reads only about 1000 miles higher. I don't recall the logo on the center console or the replacement mats. I was in the market for a 328, and, being a local vehicle, I checked into it. At the time, the asking price was $45,000 in the local paper, and around $49,000 on various internet sites.

For a variety of reasons, I chose to keep looking, and, instead, selected a lower mileage 1989 red / tan 328 GTS out of San Jose (which I also test drove before buying).

Anyway, my recollections of the black vehicle I test drove are as follows:

* The wing was a Koenig wing, Countach-style according to the owner, custom color matched. I didn't like it, but its installation was very well done and the color matched very, very well.

* The car was very clean, both inside and out, with very little road rash.

* I don't believe the phone antenna was functional anymore, but was still installed, basically, as a hole plug.

* There was no curtain for the targa top.

* The mechanic who serviced it said that the owner was very particular, and would promptly correct even very minor deficiencies, having the vehicle flatbedded to and from the shop, which was only about 25 miles away.

* At the time I saw it, the passenger mirror wasn't working correctly, but the owner was going to have it fixed.

* The owner claimed to have all records, but the records offered for my inspection only went back about a year or two.

* There seemed to be some discrepancy (possibly just confusion on my part) as to how many owners the car had had. I believe the car had been in Florida prior to this owner.

* The CarFax report identified a "Potential Odometer Rollback" issue, wherein one of the service or registration records had been entered as exactly 50,000 miles higher than it should have been. I assessed this as an error, but something the owner should have corrected rather than allow it to remain as a blemish.

Some of the things I considered were how best to remove the wing and telephone antenna. I spoke with several body shops, some of which expressed a concern with trying to patch drill holes in a permanent manner, particularly where the antenna is. One even suggested replacing the rear deck lid. In any event, even at what I assessed was a lower-than-average price, the remedial work, hassle factor, missing curtain, CarFax blemish, and (lest I forget) shifter knob more than offset the price advantage. As several of the body shops mentioned, that wing makes that a "one-man-car," and I wasn't the man for it.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't care for this particular wing. However, that can be removed.

This could be a good deal if the powertrain is in good shape. If a PPI checked out, this is a good car. Even a perfect 328 in need of a trans/engine rebuild is only worth about $15-20k.

5. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Yeah. That wing's a bit too big for the car's proportions. It can go with the shift knob back to the integra where they belong.

6. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    29.000 $ for an accident free (?) 328 GTS would be a good starter kit :)
    Remove the wing and sell it to a countach driver at ebay.
    Remove the shifter and apply an apple or anything elese ...

REM: no ABS on this early modell, no test drive, no compression test yet ...

forza

cinquevalvole

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I can buy it - I even have my old shift knob to put on it (I replaced mine with the metal knob). :)

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound! LOL! :)

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry

lol, settle down Bon Jovi.

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Actually, if you scroll all the way down it mentions that if the buyer wants the wing removed, they'll do it for free. Wonder what that would look like? I defer to Andreas on all things "wings".

11. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    When I looked at the car, the seller kept assuring me that the wing could easily be removed and all that would be left were the four mounting holes that had been drilled through for wing installation. That's when I started calling body shops and getting a wide range of recommendations, from "putty will fall out of a flush-mounted hole," to "you'd probably want to replace the entire deck lid." Probably the most reasonable recommendation was from a shop that discussed welding the hole closed; he said this could probably be done even if the deck is aluminum, just with different materials and equipment. He thought that doing the same on the fender to close the telephone antenna hole would be a bit more problematic, and would require a repaint of the quarter panel to get it right.

I forgot to mention before, the car also had extenders on the rear wheels for a wider wheel base. And, the seller said that he'd had the suspension raised about an inch so as to improve his ground clearance.

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Wait so what is the box in the center of the cabin? Under the radio?

13. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    This car has been on ebay before, hasn't it?

14. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Now THAT was funny...gotta love it when people goof on Jersey.

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    oh my. now that is a good question.

16. Bab13

Bab13 Rookie

Feb 6, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Barnabé
    No comment...

17. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    It's too easy though! :)

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone know if the seller also owns a red Testarossa with a nearly-identical wing...?

19. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    LOL! :)

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Can i assume your little interjection of admitted laughter concedes that you remember what i'm referring to...?

21. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    How could I forget? The only other thing that that guy needed to make his look perfect was a Lambo! :)

I hope I'm not starting a new series of F-Chat violence and unrest with that last comment.

22. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

This car has also been for sale for some time at a $ 500 per month lease offer......with no takers it seems.

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL... That guy had the Carrozzeria Maddog options on his car with the special carbon fiber door sills and a steering wheel spoiler for interior aerodynamic purposes... The wing on the back was actually a satellite cell phone receiver...

24. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It's not modified too bad. Make the wing into a coffee table, as for the shift knob. EBAY it!