Should I sell my 355? | FerrariChat

Should I sell my 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Fly, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    Last Wednesday night my wife gave birth to my first baby(boy) and all I could say is WOW what a feeling, there is no way to describe what I felt when he arrived. I bought my 96 F355 about three months ago and am wondering if I should keep it or sell it. Since I bought it I have put around 600 miles on it and now that I have a new addition to my family I am not sure when the next time I will be able to drive it. I would love to keep it but I don't think it's the smart thing to do, I mean it will just be sitting around not being driven at all and probably just depreciating in price as time goes by. What do you all think I should do? If I end up selling it I would probably be in the market for another F-Car in the next three to four years and would hopefuly be able to afford the 360 I always wanted. If anyone knows someone looking for a 96 F355GTB please let me know. I am in Southern California and can provide more information/pictures upon request.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    First of all ,many congrats on the birth of your son.
    It would be a shame for you to have to sell your 355 so soon after buying it. Unless you need the $ back for a family car or some other big ticket purchase , you may want to keep it for those days when you just need to get out and drive by yourself !
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Tony

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    unless there's a financial issue, i wouldn't sell it. you're likely to get hammered on a fast flip like that.

i have two little monsters (one and three now) and some days i'm ready to put the two of the little miscreants through a high-power woodchipper.

it's funny though what a 30 minute drive in the f-car can do to chill things out.

doody.

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    F355Fly,

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

First off, please fill out your profile :)

I have a 4 seater (308 GT4) and the reason I bought it was I had a wife and kid (now I have 2 kids). The reality is, however, that I hardly ever take it out with both my wife and my kids (In fact, since my son was born 5 months ago, I have not been in the car with the whole family). Usually I drive 1) by myself 2) with my 3 yo daugher, or 3) with my wife (and babysitters for the kids).

So, if you keep it, I think it will be a good excuse for you to take it out with your son for some bonding. Believe me, there will be days when your wife tells you to take your son and go out for a couple of hours, so she can have some alone time. Also, it makes a nice car for you to take your wife out on "date night" (You will really value these nights now that you have a kid).

Hope this helps.

Dom

5. I've got 2 young kids...a toddler and a baby. I still kept my F355, it helps relieve stress from the daily joys of life. Otherwise, I believe the crickets have moved in since I only drive the car a handful of times a year.

6. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    FWIW I would keep the car. You will be surprised just how many chances you will have to drive it. When your wife asks you to pick up something or run an errand. My dad got his first f-car a 355 in June of last year and has driven it a lot for him. He has 4 kids and has no problems. Over the last couple years he has driven both a 4 pass(cl500) and a 2 pass(XLR) as daily drivers and has had 0 problems. If he has more then one person with him he just takes the cl. He never thought he could live with a 2 pass car as a daily but after a handful of months he said it isn't a problem at all.
    Erik

7. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    Congrats on the baby! But should you sell your other baby? Doody is right, it all depends. Do you have financial problems? If not, keep the 355! You should take it out for a spin and think about it some more.

John

8. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Congrats on the new baby! Why not buy a compact for family use and keep the F355 for your weekends.

9. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Forgot congrats on the baby that is awesome!!!! I hope your wife is doing well. :)
    Erik

10. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    You have mail. :)

Byron

11. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    You guys have got to be the nicest group of people on the net. Thank you all for your support and advice. Let it be known that financial difficulty is not the reason for the consideration of selling my ferrari. I feel that I will not get many opportunities to drive it and for it to sit around and collect dust is a real shame. I also think about resale in the future. Although I will take a slight loss at an early point of owning my Ferrari I think its better then taking a heavty loss later on. If I calculate the cost of use for the next couple of years including depreciation and repairs/services it almost makes no sense. I strongly believe selling it would be the wise thing to do. Will I regret it later? I don't know but I don't think so as I can always go out and buy another. I will be weighing out the pros and cons in the next couple of days, take it out for a ride or two and only then make my final decision. Once again thanks to all for everything.

A.

12. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Congrats on the baby, my first will be here in May! You said you bought your car 3 months ago,errr wasn't your wife pregnant at that point? I agree with Doody, a good way to clear the mind every now and then!

13. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    When I bought my Ferrari my wife was not yet pregnant, it was sort of a last minute thing..LOL J/K

Yeah she was and my thought were if I can keep and enjoy it after the baby arives I will and if not I sell it take a little loss and wait a few years and replace it. I have no problem taking a little loss as long as it doesn't get out of hand. My guess is I will give it a try and if I get $68k or more I will be okay. I will see how things work out and if I don't get that amount for it then I will take it as "it was meant to be" kind of thing.

A.

14. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Congrats on the new arrival. If it were me, and the money thing wasn't an issue, the car would stay. Best wishes to you and yours.

15. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I have no kids yet, but when I do if I'm still fortunate enough to have a toy (my porsche, or maybe a ferrari???), I think I will invest in a lift- get that car up and away from the little hands :) I remember a friend's uncle got a brand new 944 back in the day, and after 2-3 years his young daughter took a screwdriver to it when it was in the garage----no kidding! ouch!!!

I've heard if you sell the "toy" (car, boat whatever) once you have kids, it is very difficult to get something a few years down the line. If you don't need the money right now, I'd say keep it (obviously family first and financial obligations first)!

Think of this- How cool would it be for your son to drive with dad on a Saturday morning to do errands?? You'd be depriving your child of that experience....don't just think of yourself my friend :) :) :) Please keep your car so when I have a kid in a couple of years you can talk me into keeping mine and tell me "don't sell it";)!!

I'm just kidding around of course (with some of that stuff) Whatever you do, don't make a split second decision- take a few weeks to decide, which it seems you are doing.

Andrew

16. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Definitely should not make important decisions right after a big event -- like having a baby. Need to just stay cool for a while. There isn't anything going to happen in the next couple of weeks that will appreciably change the value of your car.

I had a 67 Corvette convertible when my son was not much over a year old. We used to go for drives on Sunday mornings. He'd sit in the car seat with the wind blowing his blond hair. He loved it.

Just give yourself a month or two to let things settle down a bit. Then make a decision when you aren't under as much pressure as you are right now. Have to be careful about making important decisions when you are sleep deprived.

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Sent you a PM.

Thanks.

18. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I have four kids and I drive my GT2 every chance I get! Ages 17, 10, 8 & 1.

19. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Don't sell, your priority is your wife and child, doesn't mean you can't enjoy your car. Its about balance, got 2 kids myself and my family means more to me than the car, life does change, but it doesn't end. After things settle a bit, send the wife to the mall, when she gets back you go for a drive.

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Your kid will give you a lot more trouble than the car will. Sell the kid!

21. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Congrats on your new child - it must be an awesome feeling.

If you really want a 360 and won't use the car much, do sell the 355. You definitely will take a hit on maintenance costs and resale value, and in a few years when you have the urge, buy a 360 when they come down in price for similar to what you will sell the 355 for now.

Although I would never sell my cars, sticking to the logical choice is the best way to go if you're not already in over your head - sell the 355 and buy a 360 later.

Best of wishes with your new child.
    David