f355 popping noise | FerrariChat

f355 popping noise

Discussion in '348/355' started by f355 Nashville, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    hello i am new to the board. i used to have a 91 348 ts with 30k on it i kept it for about 6 months, and used it as a partial trade on a boat. (yes there are things out there thats harder to sell and cost even more to upkeep than a ferrari) anyway i recently bought a f355 95 model. i ve read alot on here in the last day or two regarding the valve guides? and even some comments about how 95 model f355s are bundles of pain and must be avoided is this true?
    this morning when i started the car it made a popping noise for about 1 minute then it went away. does anyone know what that may be?
    its got 24000 miles on it. i thought that was low miles untill i found ferrarichat.com. oh and is it okay for rain or snow to get on the back deck of the car? the water drips on the engine. i cant put the car in the garage because my dogs will claw it up.
    hope i havent pissed off too many other ferrari owners by being such a novice with these cars. i do love ferraris though...

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Could you refine your definition of what a 'popping noise' is ?

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This would be a better question for the tech section. But just of hand I'm gonna guess that you are having a misfire. There is some unburnt fuel that is getting to the hot exhaust, and then gets burnt before is come out the back, resulting in the popping. Take a look at your spark plug wires to see if they have any signs of going bad.

4. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting

the popping/tapping noise is comming from the engine if its the fuel and hot exhaust thing, would the sound be comming from the muffler? i am sorry but i am just not very mechanical.. but i can name every car comming down the road! sometimes at night just by their headlights or tail light. lol

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If its a tapping/ticking noise coming from the engine bay when you are on the gas, then its probably an exhaust leak.

6. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You know now that Tim has mentioned it. Have a listen to the headers. You could be having the all to common "cracked header" problem. If you are hearing a ticking, uh have you checked your oil level? Even if the "HEY IDIOT YOUR LOW ON OIL" light hasn't come on you can still be low. The other possibility is that your valve guides are going out. It could be a whole bunch of things. Check the oil level first, then have a listen the the headers.

7. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    well i gave in on figuring out what the different noises and shakes were from so i took the car in to the shop to have it serviced. come to find out that there is a local shop here in nashville that services ferraris! i figured that i would have to get it trucked to atlanta. but anyway they suggested that i do the 30,000 mile service since the car has never had the engine out service yet.
    is $6500.00 the normal cost for this service? seems kinda extreme!
    also when they lifted the car up on their lift we heard a loud cracking noise as if something broke but i didnt see any damage on the car?
    what all should i have done in addition to the 30 service? anything i should have fixed or checked out while the engine is out? i know i am supposed to be posting in the technical section of the chat.. but the thread is already started here :O) thanks for any info.
    oh btw are there any other ferrari owners here in nashville that has experience with the repair shop in hermitage?

8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Loud ticking noise when cold, and goes away within the first minute of running usually can be traced to a cracked air injection rail on the headers. Ferrari redesigned the rails in 96 to eliminate this problem. If the exhaust tubes in the headers have no leaks, the rail crack can simply be welded up. Cracks happen just above the origional weld where the tubes meet the headers, and is not reason alone to replace the headers.
    Consider having the intake manifolds removed, cleaned and rebalanced. Most 95's need a differant setting than they origionaly came with from the factory (actually this is the case with most 355's regardless of year). With the intakes removed the carbon buildup on the intake valves can be checked visually.
    With the car being a virgin 95, the tensioner bearings are the early style and need to be changed. Tensioners themselves are in question as I have seen many of them on the early cars quite weak when the cars were new.
    Take a good compression test and leak down pre engine removal to assess the guide issues.
    Check on SB's for parts changes. There were a number of oil hose changes and fuel hoses that were recalled. Make sure they are all done.
    If your shop knows these cars they already know all of these issues.
    There is simply no finer Ferrari than a 95 that is in good tune. A little tweeking on the cam timing really wakes these cars up!
    Dave

9. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    When you do the 30,000 miles service, you'll be asked by the dealer to change your cam belt. They'll have to take the engine down, so perhaps take the opportunity to change the belt tensioner and your clutch as well.

10. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    hey thanks for the response..
    i am having the major service done the repair guy told me that i need the clutch done too.. so do you think 11000 dollars for the clutch with T-out bearing engine out service with timing belt tensioners etc.. is a good price?

11. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Is this with or without labor?

12. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting

oh this is labor included its not the ferrari dealer but i really like the guys working on it very friendly. that alone is almost worth the 11grand well maybe not but its definitely better than having to put up with the rude people at the ferrari dealer. they always make me feel dumb.

13. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

The price is pretty good i guess...for all of that work.

make sure they look at your cats while they have the engine out....

good Luck to you

14. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Popping noise when downshifting would show and exhaust leak, ie cracked manifold, bad exhaust gaskets etc. $6500 for cam belts? Well are they going to change the tensioners? Water pump? all belts all fluids? If so, $6500 for a former Ferrari dealer mechanic to do the job not bad. While the engine is out its a good idea to do the clutch and t-o bearning, if you plan to keep the car, thats about another $3K.

If any of the rubber hoses are questionable, change them. It will save big headaches later in life.

And yes, I was a mechanic in college, for Honda.

15. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Way too much. If you go to an independent shop they will do it for $ 4500 30K and the clutch can be as little as $ 1000 and as much as $ 4500, depending if you burned up the flywheel.

$11,000 is rediculous.

BTW the tensioner bearings and pullies should ALWAYS be replaced when doing a service. Your belts are fine but the bearings go bad, whihc causes the belt to loosen and jump in some cases. Your belts will last 100,000 Miles, that is just a $50-item that you replace while you are at it!

Bring your car to an independent shop and save!
    There are a few in Atlanta or if my friend in Knocksville has time he can do it for you there for maybe even a little less.

Feel free to e-mail me.
    [email protected]

16. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    thanks for the response.. the service he is doing is the engine out tensioners belts seals all the basic 30k service. did not include replacing the waterpump. the clutch service includes the clutch plate, the housing of the clutch plate (theres a name for this but iam not sure what it is.) the t/o bearing slave cylinder and clutch plate. total is just a hair under 10 grand 9800 or something like that..
    what would this cost with your contacts? i have already order this stuff done but i have a couple of friends that are going to need the service within the near future and would be happy if i can help them save some money.
    thanks for your info!

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay here is were I have to cry RIP OFF!!!!! There is NO WAY they should be charging you $6,500 and not putting in a new water pump. I did MY OWN ENIGINE OUT SERVICE on my 348, by myself!!!! The job isn't that hard. They are taking you for a ride. The water pump on the 355 runs different than on the 348. The 355 has two cam belts as opposed to the 348 with just one. It only took me four hours to take the engine out of my 348, and that was using two floor jacks and not a lift. DO NOT let them charge you this much money. They don't have to do a valve adjustment, because the valves are hydrolic. The other thing is you are getting take for an idiot on the clutch. The clutch in ALL 355's is a single plate. Ferrari used the single plates to reduce replacement costs. At the most if all they do is replace the clutch and the throw out bearing you shouldn't be charged more than $2,500. The single plate clutch cost some thing like $850-$950 for the part, and the throw out bearing is right around $500. These guys are trying to take you for a ride. If you can I would get the car out of there. If they are doing nothing but changed the belts and bearings, you shouldn't pay more than $2,750 for the service. Even if they change the water pump out, replace all the hoses, changed the front and rear cam seals and o-rings, bearings and belts you still shouldn't have to pay more than $4,800 at the most. Now I haven't take an engine out of a 355, but as I said I did take the engine out of my 348, and TRUST ME, it is not that hard. Make them reduce the price! Oh I almost for got. About the clutch. Went I had my clutch redone, I had to get a brand new flywheel cause the guides for the springs got melted. I had the clutch (twin plate AP Racing), throwout bearing update (which is from the 355), and a new flywheel (same as on the 355) replace. In parts alone it cost me just me around $5,000. There is NO WAY that the parts for the 355 cost more. There is also NO WAY that you should be charged $4,500 for laybor. What the F#CK are they charging an hour? Listen bro, these guys are seriously trying to burn you!

18. Grande

Grande Karting

Dec 6, 2001
    Wayyyyy too high....I have to agree with the "rip off" call....

We do the service here (Knoxville) for much less and FoA is actually pretty reasonable (I use them when I have too much going on).

Mike

19. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Mike,
    help out this guy will you!

20. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    oh well maybe i should have researched here more before i took the car in.. the service is almost done.... can you e mail me your contact info so i can refer my friends to you for their services?
    [email protected]
    thanks

21. plapham

plapham Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nashville - get a grip and put the car in the garage and the dogs in the yard. If you can afford a 355 and the mentioned service work, maybe another garage is an idea. Or at least a doghouse.

22. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    the thing is there is no room for another garage myhouse in the country has a 6 car garage but i keep the ferrari in the city and my lot is too small for anything else.
    and there is no way in hell i am putting my dogs out i have 7 sharpeis and a bull dog. and they are like little people they even have their own rangerover