308 QV Air Injector Replacement | FerrariChat

308 QV Air Injector Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TonyM, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyM

TonyM Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Full Name:
    Tony Mongillo
    I have an 83 308 with the air injector valves and an air pump. In 84, Ferrari went to reed valves and eliminated the air pump.

I wondering if the air injector valves can be replaced with the reed valves. Would they be a direct fit? Are they available.

I still have to have emission inspections done and can't totally remove the system.

Thanks,

Tony

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I replaced both of the air injection valves on my '85 308, as one was totally rotted out and I figured that the other wouldn't last long either. These are GM parts by the way ( #220 48212 ) and cost around $22 at a GM dealer. Sorensen makes an affermarket one ( # 779-2929) for about $12 and can be found at Advance Auto and other auto parts suppliers.

Be very careful in removing the old valves so as to not crack the air tube which it's connected to. I hear that they are very expensive. To be safe, cut a grove into the nut portion of the valve with a dremel tool, spread it open with a large screwdriver, squirt in some penetrating oil and then unscrew it. The metal is very light and cuts through very easily, so be careful not to cut into the tthreads on the pipe which it screws onto.

3. TonyM

TonyM Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Full Name:
    Tony Mongillo
    Doc,

Thanks for the information.

Tony