went to see the eye dr. need glasses recommendation | FerrariChat

went to see the eye dr. need glasses recommendation

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thadbrown, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    well, i need glasses. i would like to know of some good brands for frames as well as where to get them. any help would be appreciated in tracking down a nice pair of glasses. thanks guys

4 eyes thad brown

2. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I talked to a guy not to long ago that has his lenses shipped in from Paris. I forgot the brand though, sorry.

Maui Jim can make you prescription sunglasses with their lenses, FWIW.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes I too suffered that crushing ego defeat several years ago. It hurts in a certain way - you know that you're body is deficient. In any case, it's hardly the end of the world.

To try and fight the (unjustified) feelings of inferiority the thought of glasses brought (I used to be like 20/12 as a kid), I overcompensated by spending $200 on Giorgio Armani frames and the top-of-the-line $175 lenses from Lens Crafters. They looked great and did well for 3.5 years, then the layers of glaze on the arms started flaking bad.

This summer I got my second pair from Costco. Nice flexible/springy frames for $50, glare resistant lenses were $42. They look almost as good, and I don't stress out when something hits them. I saved so much I splurged and bought new Oakleys too (I only need glasses to read fine board print in class/far distances).

So I say go cheaper at either Costco or Sam's. Then again, you could say that a big factor for the flashy glasses was that I was single at the time and was trying to more interesting, but I'd already been married for a few years when I got the new ones - meaning I had less to prove on a social front.

4. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I've been wearing glasses for the better part of a decade, it's no big deal.

I am a bit of a glasses snob, so none of the brands I'll mention are budget friendly, but you didn't mention that as a consideration. One thing to think about. These things will sit on your face all day long, you don't want to skimp on quality.

A few Brands I have been very happy with:

Cartier
    Eye Think Eyewear
    Matsuda
    Lunor
    LA Eyeworks

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Id also suggest Scratch and shatter resistent lenses and flex frames. I've broken so many glasses i dont even wear them anymore.

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I should also add that it's worth it to get the anti-glare treatment on the lenses.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    pay extra for all the coating on the lenses.

as for the frames, I've had many over the years. from armani to now, back to a polo. they are almost no-wire around the lense, except for the top. they do have spring-back hinges and well.. light as hell.

I'd suggest you go into a store and ask someone for help and assistance. who cares about the brand, some of the cheaper ones look great, and some of the more expensive ones look like crap and tacky. it is all about personal taste and what fits you.

8. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I've been wearing glasses for most of my life. My collection of frames is mostly: d&g, emoprio armani, armani, and alan mikli. I reccomend plastic lenses, and frames that are bridgeless; awkward at first, but much more comfortable. The anti-glare coating isn't worth the money; as it only reduces glare by a couple % over an untreated lens. You'll always have glare, regardless.

9. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Oakley (sp) makes some great metal frames and Go With NIKON lens' cost a bit more but I trust them with my camera optics and Eye optics tooo.....

10. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    I have a box full of glasses......don't need them anymore since I had Laser surgery !!!
    (I'm an Ophthalmic surgery consultant....Laser, cataract, glaucoma, transplant, etc......I get to teach it, arrange it, lecture about it, and everything but actually perform it...best left to a surgeon....) I spent 10 years as an Optician, so can speak fairly educatedly......

While glasses are a much cheaper option to laser surgery, you should probably buy the best lenses you can. That is where the $$$$ should be.
    Depending on your RX, you may not need to go for high index / thinner lenses, but I would definitely choose plastic, over glass. (Unless you are severly near or farsighted, then glass is significantly thinner, but it sounds as if you are not too bad off. )
    As far as treatments on lenses, definitely go for a type of scratch resistance...remember , this is "resistant" as opposed to "proof". Contrary to what you may be told, there is no such thing as scratch proof.
    Anti-reflective coatings do help, particularly at night, but as has been said, any lens, coated or not will cause some glare at night...(particularly in the wet..) These coatings are also notoriously hard to keep clean. (more on that later...) . Most good quality lenses, such as Nikon, Pentax, Zeiss ( the best...) will come completely coated.
    Another misconception is that coated lenses become more dirty. Not so....what happens is that Anti reflective coated lenses will cause fingerprints to be more visible....(reflections do a wonderful job of hiding grease and fingerprints..) .
    As for frames.....I could go on about what shapes go with what type of face, but at the end of the day...bring someone with you, and don't be swayed by a designer name....trust me, some of the biggest designers have some of the worst quality . You don't have to spend a ton of money, but bring someone with you when you try them on....(ie a female, loved one, or someone that has to look at you often....)
    Metal frames will sit away from the face, (nose pads..) and may contain materials you may be allergic too, such as nickel, so be careful. They are easier for the optician to adjust on you as they have several points that can be tweaked to fit you properly. Some metals, like titanium, are incredibly light, and in many cases, with the right lens choice, you don't even know you are wearing them...Titanium however, espescially pure titanium can be costly, and there are different types of titanium, so as a rule, the more $$$ they cost, the better the grade of metal.
    You can also look at gold , such as those by Cartier, (mentioned here on the board by someone else....) These cost a ton, and are quite "yellow" , so may not look good. Ask about things like repairs, (soldering...if it breaks..., titanium can't be soldered..) Look for a warranty, etc.
    As for plastic, or acetate frames, these sit right on the face, against the skin, and can come in some really interesting shapes and colours. Kepe in mind that they will feel heavier, as there is more material on your face, and in hot climates, this makes a difference. The material, can also dry out, (most contain oils, that things like soap and water will draw out of the frame, causing it to dry and become brittle. ) Plastic frames may also become dry and brittle form your own skin oils, so keep this in mind. Also, if you choose a plastic frame, make sure if fits you perfectly, and I mean perfectly....there is very little for the Optician to adjust on a plastic frame, so if it does not fit snugly, ask if there are different sizes available. If not, pass...if it doesn't fit, all the adjusting in the world will not make a plastic frame comfortable.
    In my experience, frame -wise, some of the best quality come from an austrian company called Sillhouette. There are many different styles and shapes and materials. They may cost a bit more, but are worth it.
    Alot depends on what you will be needing the glasses for....if it is for distance, (driving, golf etc, anything beyond arm's length....- spend the money, on something nice. If it for reading only, then function is key....they will be on and off your face alot, or if you get lazy, sittinmg on top of your head, of clipped to your shirt....so look for durabilty, spring hinges etc.....they will be used only to see things within 12-14 inches of your face....)

So.....another option is laser sugery !!!!
    (shamelss plug.....) But this is not for everyone, and there are some real butchers out there....trust me , I've seen it....
    Plus...it costs money...lots of money to be done right......
    pm me, if you want to discuss more....

I hope I have been some help.........and remember, glasses should be the worst thing to happen to you....it aint so bad....and happens to almost all of us at some point.

Regards;

hps

11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    My experience with anti-glare has been minimal difference in the daylight hours and dramatic difference at night.

It's worth noting that Cartier glasses can also be had in platinum plated finish if you dislike gold frames(I do). The only thing I dislike about Cartier is that they stamp their name on the exterior of the frames.

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    My humble recommendation is to NOT get the most expensive pair. I am only 21, but I noticed that still, even though my vision can pass the driving test in MA, it changes enough that it really isnt worth it to get a top notch name. Had GA, now just get generic, youll see, by no means the end of the world, youll feel young again;) but, I would recommend the local Opt. brand...

13. RD3

RD3 Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    PA
    Lunor. Lightweight, hand made in Germany.

14. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny

I would have to disagree with you there, it depends on what your condition is... I suffer from nearsightedness, and had to get a new prescription pretty much every other year, until I hit 20-21 or so, by which then my eyesight has stabilized to the same prescription for nearly 10 yrs....

Eye glasses is not something you'd want to skimp on since you will use them day in and day out... Get the best you can afford... The best does not necessarily mean the most expensive in frames, but certainly get a set of high line lenses...

15. mechanka

mechanka Karting

Apr 27, 2003
    Full Name:
    Anka
    I'm wearing Silhouettes - frameless, titanium
    They are so light that sometimes I forget I'm wearing them - I really recommend them!

Cheers

Anka

16. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Well said, Kenny ;

Put it this way, if you were going to buy only one suit....you would make it a good one....why treat your eyes to any less...

17. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    See, told ya.

18. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I grew up wearing cheap glasses, and cheap clothes... and I can tell you, it's not the most comfortable way to live your lifestyle nor enhances your popularity in junior high school, but at least I understood my parents as a kid, it doesn't make economic sense to buy something highline when you will grow out of them in 2 years or less...

19. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada

You get what you pay for Kenny...........

20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have been wearing glasses since I was about 14 now I am 18. Sometimes I wear contacts, but I have no problem wearing glasses and often wear them instead because of alergies(sp). I have owned frames by safilio(sp), Hugo Boss, DKNY, Rayban, and Revo. I can tell you that if you are going to wear glasses a lot get a good pair of RX sunglasses. The lens is more important then the frame. So, just buy the Revo frame and not the lenses this way when you get your perscription put in you aren't paying for a set of lenses that do you no good. Also, I like my Rayban's better then my Revo frames they are lighter and more comfortable. For everyday wear I normally wear my DKNY 135. The frame only goes on the top of the lenses. They are pretty durable and have held up well over the last few months. The Hugo Boss frames I have are rimless. They are not as strong but almost make you appear as you aren't wearing any glasses. I would though spend a few bucks on glasses just because you will wear them everyday. Also, you can tell quality in glasses. Or at least I like to believe I can any way.
    Erik

21. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I had to get glasses as a kid in Grade 4...

At the time, my eyesight was "minus 0.5."

Since then, they've progressively worsened to "minus 6.5" and I've gone through 6 different frames and about 5 different perscriptions.

It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering Laser surgery in the near future.

If you're eyesight isn't very bad, I suppose irregular use of glasses is tolerable, but when your eyesight is so ******* poor that you can't do anything (except shower and sleep) without them, it becomes a real pain.

Lastly, smudges on the lenses, and if the frames becomes slightly bent or out of shape, can cause headaches.

22. Mr. Natividad

Mr. Natividad Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    I guess I can introduce myself through this thread. My name is Rickie Natividad and I'm 18 years old. Anyways I work in the lab at Lenscrafters(No, I don't own a ferrari...yet). The most expensive frames that we have in our store are definately the Armani frames. In my opinion they're probably the best we have. There are many different types too. You have the regular frame that is metal all around, plastic frames, and rimless. Rimless have a metal eyewire that the top of the lense sits in and a nylon string sits in the bottom groove of the lense. This gives the appearance of an invisible frame except for the top eyewire. Finally there are drillmount frames. These frames are usually sent to an outside lab(atleast at my store) in order to be made. There is no eyewire at all. With these frames the technician drills two holes into each lense in which two tiny studs on each side of the frame goes through and a washer and nut secure them in place. Drill mounts are very very light and often people wont realize you have them on from a distance. Now for the lenses. At Lenscrafters we sell plastic and polycarbonate lenses. Polycarbonate are typically more expensive, but they are virtually unbreakable and are scratch resistant. You can get anti-reflective coated lenses. These block reflections from light sources and help alot at night while driving. You can also get polarized lenses which darken or lighten according to light conditions. You can get lenses that have mirrorized finishes on the front so people can't see in. There are a variety of colors to choose from for the mirrorized. You can choose from lined bifocals or what we call progressive. Progressive have three ranges for looking. The lines are invisible on these. There are also trifocal lenses which appear like regular bifocals with three ranges of vision instead of the normal two. Of course there is always single vision lenses. These only have one range of vision for those who don't yet need multifocals. Ugh, I lost my train of thought, however, that info should help you hopefully.

23. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    A new IOL lens is due to get FDA approval this year to correct your vision. It only requires a 2 mm incision does not tamper with your cornea and for those who need bi-focals will resolve that problem . Many options out there.

24. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Check out Oakley. I haven't tried their regular prescription glasses but the prescription sunglasses are really good. I got a pair of XXs about a year ago. Mine were fairly expensive at ~$450 but Oakley does have some very reasonably priced glasses.

25. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    If you already know the size & style of frames you want, this is the place to get it.

http://www.giarre.com

Good luck.