348 Exhaust ECU's | FerrariChat

348 Exhaust ECU's

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JSL, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    O.K., I know this has been beat to death here but I want to ask once again. Does disconnecting the exhaust ECU's damage the car in any way? I know that I don't have a heating problem, the loss of power happens periodically and resetting the ECU's always resolves the issue. But, I'm tired of waiting for it to happen, so I'm thinking of just disconnecting the exhause ECU's. I have had the 1-5 light come on but now it sometimes will just blink once and then the power drop. I'm no mechanic but went back and read several threads. Just want clarification one more time. My car is a 92ts with 22,000 miles and a fresh major. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

2. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    i had same problem. (tubi, test pipes)

read everything, asked everyone, made a decision....

disconnected the ECU.

been three months or so. car runs perfect. could NOT be happier. just need to someday get new ECU at time of resale, or just point to it and say "you may want to replace that" LOL

3. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Get rid of the exhaust ECUs.....there are nothing but trouble....You should not be able to tell the difference without them....

VK

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you're running cats, IMO you've got (to at least try;)) to have a working exhaust overtemp detector/indicator system.

With test pipes (i.e., no downstream ignition source), probably is better to disconnect the warning system (if possible) -- especially if false positives from the warning light ECU disable the injection system (which I think it might do on a 348). Less of an issue on the earlier cat-equipped F converted to test pipes as there's no intelligent connection between the overtemp warning system and the fuel injection system.

JMOs

5. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    i absolutely agree with steve. if you have cats, you need the warning.....

6. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    let me clarify....
    i had the issue still after replacing the cats with test pipes. i was scared Sh*tless with them (cats) on as the one bank would shut down with faulty signal.

even after i had switched the ECUs, and KNEW it was the ECU, and had the problem i would freak out.... nothing like good healthy paranoia!

i changed out the cats, disconnected the ECU.....happy ever since. now i know i wont end up car-B-Que. HA!

7. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thanks guys! Disconnect is going to happen tonight. My Ferrari wizard wrote me after seeing this and gave me the advise I needed. He is a great guy and I appreciate him. BTW: If you need the best Ferrari tech in the land (southern Califorina), do not hesitate to contact me. I drive 200 miles to take my car to him. I'm his biggest fan and rightfully so. I won't post his name in the open forum but feel free to contact me via PM.

8. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had same problem as well. Pulled cats and ecu's.
    I'm driving trouble free now!

9. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Unpluged the ECU's tonight. Seems fine to me. Look forward to taking a drive to see if any problems surface.
    Thanks,
    Scott

10. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Just as a FYI for Noob's, this thermocouple ECU issue on 348's can be repaired (one way or another). I understand the frustrations of niggling electrical gremlins like this.

If you're running catalysts (which I always recommend), you must run the temperature sensing system.

There is an update to the Thermo ECU. Easiest quick check is to press your fingernail into the potting material. The old generation's material is quite hard, the latest updated ones will leave an impression, noticeably softer potting.

Between updating the components, cleaning contacts, All Contacts and Connectors, most if not all 348 gremlins can be eradicated.

Unfortunately, looks like the wiring harness must be included in regular major service intervals as these cars age.

For additional information, search the old and new archives.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn