Bomb components on airplanes. Question: | FerrariChat

Bomb components on airplanes. Question:

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The news reported this week that terrorist are in the process of placing / hiding bomb components on commercial aircraft for assembly and detonation at a later date. They had to get these parts past security. If the parts passed through Xray, I have the following question:

Do you think the NTSB is smart enought to track all of the placements of the Xray machines? I am sure that airports sell of older equipment for new ones. Are these units tracked as to their whereabouts? I would bet that terrorist groups have this equipment so they make sure that when they pack a carry-on, such components can not be seen. Would it not be pruident that the NTSB carefuly monitor the sales of these machines? I would bet they do not!

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was boarding a plane one time and I forgot I had a knife on the back of my belt. The metal detector went off and I still didnt remmeber the knife they searched me really fast and then used that wand thing, it went off right where the knife was but I still forgot about it. And they still didnt get it it wasnt till after I got home and got undressed that I realized the whole time I was going from Jacksonville N.C. to Louisville Ky. that I had a knife on me the whole time. Same thing has happened to me at strip clubs too. I think alot of the airport security are just there for the paycheck and dont care at all.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Until this issue is resolved, no airplane will be secure. There is no glory to being a security guard. And thus, they are jobs with minimal payment and very minimal rewards, if anything at all. If a rewarding job, is telling that lady that her nail clippers cannot go on the plane - then you can apply today.

But it all comes down to how we look at "terrorism" and how it can effect us. All I can say is, I applaud the terrorists for doing a fine job. We have been living in fear, and more fear each and every day with our government constraints on our freedoms, for which they believe we are being protected.

I'd rather live at risk than anything else. And if you are going to put it in Code Orange over Valentine's Day - by all means, might as well bump it up to Red just for the festive holiday. Right? But wait, Code Red would be ... terrorist activities just like Patrick Swayze experienced in Red Dawn!

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't think that airlines CAN be secure until the carriers use Isreali tactics with respect to passengers and luggage. However, this would thin the flying herd so much that no airline could afford to fly. The security stations at the airports are nothing but window dressing.

"He who would trade a bit of Liberty for a dose of security will soon have neither" Ben Franklin