Ferraris and winter | FerrariChat

Ferraris and winter

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RDS, Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    This is my first winter as a Ferrari owner. I don't remember winter being soooo long. I hope the grounghog was wrong.

2. richanton

richanton Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm with you, I hate winter.

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I also agree, this is my first winter too, i thought it was bad when owning a boat, waiting for the spring, owning a Ferrari is even worse. Here's a picture of the local dealer picking up my car last week for it's 30K service. Notice the snow and salt on the road, i'm glad salt doesn't bother the tires....

I was looking at getting an enclosed trailer myself, so i can take my 328 down to Florida or to Arizona during the winter months and drive it there.... May happen next year durring this time... :)

4. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Do you have to winterize a Ferrari if you keep it in a non-heated garage and it gets bloody cold where you live? Like a boat(?)... probably a stupid question, but I don't know the answer. Thanks if you know.

5. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    Guys really, it's almost like your all blonds.

A Ferrari has water and ,,you know, that green stuff, ANTIFREEZE in it.
    Oh, the greenstuff (hopefully the one you use) has anti scale and anti corrosion additives as well. Don't run just water, getts to hot freezes to cold and rots your car's cooling system.

Oil get s thick in the cold so if you can let the car warm up (running) slow, let the gearbox warm up also.

6. Riv

Riv Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Poconos, Pa
    This is the only time of the year I get depressed. I hate winter and spring will not come soon enough. My car goes in for full service tomarrow. She should be back just as we start to warm up a little. So I feel your pain.

7. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I was able to drive my Ferrari past weekend around parking lot where it is stored for winter. It is in heated storage. I will be happy when it is able to go faster than parking lot speed, but anything is better than no driving.

8. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    In taking my car on a short drive, I hit the first patch of snow I have encountered in the F355.

Absolutely no traction or braking - maybe the worst snow car I have ever driven. I doubt whether snow tires would improve it much. When I take it out for winter drives from now on, the roads will have to be clear.

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    In South Carolina, we have no snow. ah-HA!

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

John,
    I took my 355 out today for a little 50 mile spin. The roads were great and there sun was shining. As much as I dislike winter the best thing about Denver is that the snow is gone pretty quickly. I hadn't droven it in a couple of weeks so it was necessary for a good drive today. I will probably take it up to Boulder tomorrow for a nice jaunt as it's supposed to snow again later this week.

By the way, I have the Berlinetta twin to your car.

11. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Thanks, I was thinking along the line of gas additives or just leaving it with a full tank. I know about anti-freeze but I guess I can't word questions.

12. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    If you're going to leave the car for an extended period of time, I suggest you add a gasoline stabilizer (such as Stabil), then run the car for a while so it mixes with the gasoline and has a chance to get all the way through the system. Also, I suggest storing it with no more than half a tank of gas, so you can always add some fresh gas when you take it back out. I haven't had bad gas problems in the Ferrari, but, when I'd had it in other cars, it was amazing how much a little fresh gas helped clear things up. I know, with less than a full tank, perhaps you have to worry about condensate, but, unless you're stored in pretty adverse conditions, that shouldn't be a problem.

13. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    I never really minded winter until I got my Ferrari, now I can't wait until the salt is off the roads. I have it stored in an inflatable capsule in an unheated garage with battery maintainer. The capsule is great, it protects the car from damage and the ciculating air keeps it dry. I'm hoping to get it out by early March.

14. kjtar

kjtar Rookie

May 16, 2004
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Full Name:
    Thomas A Reynolds
    RDS, did you use the indoor Carcapsule or the silver outdoor variety? If you used the outdoor one, I'd be very interested in how it kept your car, any paint damage or corrosion in/on the engine?
    Thanks. (Anyone else who has any stories about using an outdoor Carcapsule, I'd be interested in hearing from you as well.)

15. I absolutly hate this time of the year.. I love the spring and summer. Fall and Winter are well sad depressing, grey....

16. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    Kjtar, I have the indoor "bubble" and it works great. Last winter was the first for my Ferrari but stored my Porsche in it for several years with no ill effects. I leave the windows cracked about two inches put an open box of baking soda in the trunk and inside the car. The cirulating air keeps it dry and the bake soda keeps away the musty odor.