how reliable has the 360s really been | FerrariChat

how reliable has the 360s really been

Discussion in '360/430' started by scycle2020, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Hey ferrari folk...those of you with experience with 360 coupes and spiders.....any reliability issues with either the early or late model cars?

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I wish all my German cars had been as reliable as my 360 Modena has been.

3. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    3+ years, no major problems... broken ash tray, broker passenger door handle... thats about it....

Ernesto

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Uncles 360 coupe=tranny problems
    360 Spider=Roof problems

5. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    F1 failure twice, got rid of F1, 6speed has had no problems at all.

6. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Allan, F1?

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No 6 speed. It would be very difficult to get in and out of 2nd and 4th gear. Dealer never could get it right.

8. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    only problems encountered are dead batteries (result of NYC cold winters)

9. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Allan,

Of course you would happen to have knowledge regarding 2 bad 360's....thats odd.

Any knowledge of problematic Lambo's? :)

10. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    2000 360 F1 Coupe - No problems

11. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    2001 360 Modena (6 speed) - master brake cylinder leak but nothing else. Probably the most reliable car I've owned and the one driven te hardest

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Speaking as a mechanic(none owner:() They have seemed to be quite reliable engine wise. The early ones had a problem with the connecting rods,because Ferrari did not allow for enough oiling between the big end jernals resulting in a dull knocking sound from the bottom end.

Most problems I have seen are just trim problems and the occational roof problem on a spider..usually nothing to serious with the roof though. Batteries like stated above are common..crummy batteries.

F1 cars seem to have some problems with the shifting solinoids on some cars, expensive to fix but if you get the warrenty(highly recommended with the f1 cars) no big deal other then loss of time with the car,while it's in the shop haveing repairs. The F1 clutch must be installed and set-up by the dealer inorder to set the slip rate. An independant cannot do this.$$$

Timing belts are cheaper to do on the 360 as the engine does not need to be removed. But unlike the 348/355 the entire tranmission must be removed inorder to replace the clutch as it has returned to the conventional location mounted directly to the engine instead of at the rear of the car.

The head lights according to some on the board have a problem with condesation getting inside the lenses. This really can't be repaired unless you want to attempt to remove the glass portion of the lens. Ferrari may cover this under a new car warrenty but doubtful on a used car.

I have one customer who's radio kept shuting off on it's own when he went over bumps..easy fix..replaced the radio.

The ignition key fobb seems to wear the silver coating they put on it with in a matter of weeks.

The aluminum trim inside the car is very easy to scratch, and scuff marks are normal on the drivers side door panel trim.

Look for scratches on the dash board surround directly above the steering colum. If you find an aera that looks like its been painted with touch-up paint this is a good indication that the dash was removed for "recalibration"(speedometer roll back) Even though it has a digital read out for the mileage it is easy to rest set to any number desierd.

Tom

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Independants can do clutches. I've done clutch/gearbox swaps so many times in the race team I can't count. NEVER needed the SD2.

Having said that, the Challenge/N-GT cars clutch behaviour is not too important. As long as it doesn't stall itself, it's no big deal. I fine tune with the SD2 later if possible may make it a little better, but not always.

Occasionally, a computer gremlin will need the SD2 to clear it, and of course any clutch PIS adjustments need the SD2.

As in independant working on road cars. I simply do all the hard work, then get the dealer to spend 1 hour max on a clutch clear and set up with the SD2. I get them to reset wear readings, do a test cycle, self learn and set PIS as necessary. Saves the owner thousands.

By the way, the clutch wear reading is totally fixable and should NEVER be taken as proof of actual wear. It can be set anywhere the technician chooses. The only real way is to pull the floor and inspection plate off, and measure the plate thickness. It's quite easy.

14. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    i have a 2000 360f1-minor problems-gas gage, loose cd wire other than that it has run great.question timing belt cost?the dealer says it is time-do other people change them after 3 years?

15. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    2 360's and have had no problems.

16. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    2003 Spider - in 247 miles the following went wrong:
    Top malfunctioned 2 times, once on the test drive, once at home in the garage, it became stuck mid-way closed.
    Drivers door "hinge stop" broke, resulting in a door that would open to far, towards the fender.
    The passenger door handle broke.
    The battery would die in 5-7 days, required a full time charge.

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    now THIS is a useful thread! So good to hear "no problems....minor issue....more reliable than any other..." COOL! I want one, now we need a gallardo review, but too soon!

18. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    100% satisfied.............thank God!

19. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Read your thread on the 360. Your battery problems may be due to not having a battery protector. They are a must for any car with a lot of electronics and an automatic alarm. These "vampires" will run you down to zip charge in three weeks. This has been one nasty winter in Central PA also. My 360 is ready to go on full charge and I have not had it out in a month. Just thought this might help. Luck, Ken

20. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    2001 6spd- clutch and tranny problems
    2002 F1 Spider-car has been perfect except for bad battery

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Yeah, that is kind of funny isn't it?

22. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    2003 6spd coupe with 1800 miles. Check engine light has come on twice after not starting on first try. After about 4 restarts/drives the check engine light shut off by itself. Been very pleased in every way.
    Bill

23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Please include mileage in the replies.

24. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    2000 F1 coupe has had one dead battery I replaced, added battery tender. Just did the belt change-2800 dollars, but I asked the transmission etc be checked out at the same time-everything was fine.

25. srpatterson

srpatterson Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    Steve Patterson
    2001 360 Spider F1 with 3200 miles.

Top sticks a little if not cycled enough (mainly winter problem)
    Gas gauge will not read over 60% (I've think this is a fleet wide problem)
    No real problems, a great little car