Brembo GT Brake Kit for 550 | FerrariChat

Brembo GT Brake Kit for 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by yimn, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    Just ordered the brake kit for my 98 550. 355m Rotor with a big 4-point caliper. Paying about $3500 for the front. Eager to see what it does to the braking performance (which I find lacking in the stock brake system).

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

In my experience, the stock system is excellent, with proper pad selection & fluid selection.

That Brembo kit is not all that much different, with th eexception of having larger diameter rotors.

With all due respect, you probably should have asked around here first before spending your money. Many of us have loads of experience tracking 550's, and know alot about making that heavy car really stop with the stock system.

Good luck!

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Unless you perform a back-to-back scientific evaluation of both systems, the only performance difference you will notice is an increase in heat capacity. This may be all you're looking for.

However, for much less than the cost of the kit, you could have accomplished that goal, perhaps even to your complete satisfaction.

Reading between the lines of your post, I'll assume that your criticism is fade related and only then on a race track during open lapping.

The order of operations when improving brakes (decreasing fade, increasing heat capacity) is:
    • Improved fluid (Castrol SRF, Ford Heavy Duty, Ate blue, etc search archives)
    • Higher temperature brake pads (again, search archives)
    • Fresh caliper seals
    • Proper air ducts into center of the brake rotor

Post some photos and what your opinion of the system is when you're finished.

HTH,

Rob Schermerhorn

ps, Yes, this topic has been discussed before.

pps, If your only criticism is filling up the holes in the wheel with brake rotor, perhaps this is the best first step. Bigger rotors always adds bling factor.

4. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

Actually, I would have to say that the 550 brakes are a weak point on the track. My F512M has far more confidence inspiring braking as does my 355. I look forward to hearing how this upgrade works.

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    GOOD LUCK!!!--I have had BAD experiences with Brembo lately--quoting me 1 price then doubling it when i try to order--

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Moon, I guess we have had different experiences, then. I drive the car HARD on track, in warm weather. As an Instructor, I am usually doing double duty with the car, running in my group & giving rides in other groups. But when I upgraded fluid & pads, I have had absolutely no weakness from the brakes. They are superb, and are more than adequate for a 4,200 lb car (with fuel & 2 people). Just my experience. YMMV...