550 wheels, tyres and brakes on a 456 | FerrariChat

550 wheels, tyres and brakes on a 456

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jimmy b, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Apologies if the answer to this lies somewhere in the FChat archives, I have not been able to find it so far...

I have been advised by the folks who look after my manual 456, that to make an improvement to its road-holding, and even make it more suitable for the odd Fcar trackday (which let's face it the stock 456 is not really), it would be a good idea to fit the larger 18" 550 wheels and tyres. This would give a handling improvement with wider, lower-profile tyres and also accommodates the 550 'Fiorano' brake upgrade if wanted. This upgrade pack is for the 550 and allegedly gives it the same brakes as used on the F50, large slated disks (too big for 456 17" wheels) and 4 pot racing calipers - both Brembo I believe. The usual choice of Pagid pads are possible, and I would probably go for the road and track usable "blues", as in the past I had ceramic pads (yellow) on my 355 which were rated 400 - 900 celcius (F1 cars around 700c) but didn't work too well in road use as they never got the heat in them...

I'm hoping the money side wouldn't be too crazy, as I'd be happy with a 'pre-owned' set of 550 wheels (although not tyres) and my 456 tyres are towards end of life anyway. The brakes are pricey (GBP 1700 all-in), but I can always keep the original brakes and wheels and put them back on later.

Anyone got any thoughts, or even better experience, on this subject?

Thanks in advance.

James.

2. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    Yes - forget it.

If you want a quick track car and are not happy with the quickness of a 456, get another tipo.

Modifying one thing (like bigger tyres) will immediately show up another shortcoming (like springs & shockers), modify those and you will need harder bushes, change those and the geometry will show its shortcomings, and...and...and....

A 456 is a lovely balanced car as is. Enjoy it or better get something else.

Badge

3. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The 456 looks and drives better with 18" wheels. My friend has a se on his 456 with 190,000 miles on it now.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    kenyon - 190,000 miles?

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
  6. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Yes 190,000 miles the runs like a gem. The only that he has changed is set of shockers, tyres, exhaust. The car used daily and driven across to Europe 2-3 months.

7. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks all for the various views.

I forgot to mention that I was also considering the tubi replacement pipes for the cats (which sap 30bhp and make white dust come out of the rear) as I did on my previous 355. Also considering replacing the stock anti-roll bars with the larger 550 bars - supposedly a great handling improvement for minimal dosh. But no decision on those two so far as seeking further info.....

Robert,

Thanks for the link (probably cheaper than what I had in mind which is a grand for the wheels, and the tyres - who knows, as the price is different every day...). Also, please PM me for the Acer Laptop thing.

J.

8. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    I'm certainly no expert on this, but apparently the reason why there are a number of 550 wheels for sale is that there was a factory replacement programme for them. I've heard (but only rumour) that the orginals flexed and touched the calipers, and were replaced by stronger ones. Anyone heard this story?

Badge.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry I did not reply earlier, check this thread out: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=263598#post263598

Also, as for 550 brakes on a 456, I would say "its very close to working." since the offset numbers lean me to believe it. I am not 100% sure yet though, I need to test a few things out before saying it 100%. I know that at least one Euro 550 owner has upgraded his brakes, you might be able to ask him if he would sell on the condition that if your test out fails you return the brakes to him. The potential savings in $ would be well worth the shipping costs IMO.

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I am putting 19" wheels on my 550 and the OEM wheels (perfect condition) with Michelin Pilot Sport tires (2300 miles) on them are available soon I get the rear tires for my 19" wheels (4-6 weeks)

PM me if you are interested. Give you a decent deal

11. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO