Ferrari Heritage and Soul "Crap". | FerrariChat

Ferrari Heritage and Soul "Crap".

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    ROTFLMAO!!! I was just looking at some posts in the other threads,and there's a comment by some kid,that really cracks me up. He's on FERRARI CHAT,dissing Ferrari's,calling it "Heritage and Soul crap". Why is someone like this even on FChat? Don't they have Video Game chat? Or Skateboard chat? It really cracks me up to see sh*t like this. Hey,if you don't appreciate the Rich Racing "Heritage,and Soul 'Crap' " of the Ferrari Marque,why are you even on FChat? Nothing better to do? Maybe his XBox is broken? Too snowy to Skateboard? Man,what a asswipe! Just doesn't get it,I guess!

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Gee. Am I the only one that was offended by this?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No, but you can't fix an idiot. There is one born every minute.

The thing that really gets me are those who have a Ferrari and still don't give a damn about the company's racing heritage. Now that is pathetic. That to me is the definition of a "nouveau riche": Just some yuppie who made/inherited a ton of $$$ and has no class, heritage, culture and education. All he knows is, that a Ferrari is hip. So he buys one. Sad, but true.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    THAT is Right On. Yes,there seem to be a few assh*les like that. Oh well,nothing you can do about it....I Guess.....Unless we can tell them to get a Porsche like some of the other 'swipes do....:) (And,I'm not saying that all Porsche owners are like that. But,they certainly do have more than their share.) And,most definitely. Money does NOT = Class.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    When you encounter one, think about them this way: Once the latest model of Ferrari comes out, they jump right onto that one and dump their current car. That car then goes onto the 2nd hand market where classy people like us without money can buy them...
    :)

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,I know. But,it just bugs me,when some moron goes on FERRARI CHAT,simply to bash Ferrari's. ESPECIALLY...when they don't even own one!! Whats the point? Whats been gained? We love our cars for what they ARE. The whole World Loves Ferrari's for what they are. Thats not going to change. We are fully aware of their capabilities,misfortunes,whatever. But,love them anyway. There are no "perfect" cars. Go on Political Chat and Bash the Government all day long. There's alot to Bash there! But,leave our Ferrari's alone!!! :)

7. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Hey, nothing wrong with a Porsche. I just bought one a few months ago, still have the 308, well aware of the racing heritage (collecting quite a bit of film with classic Ferrari racing footage) and am still debating what next to get this year, TR or Countach, so not everybody with a Porsche falls into that category of 'swipes you mentioned before...although I don't really get into the flame wars of which car is better or not, or what type of person owns what car, i.e. the supposed "gold chain crowd" of Vette and Lambo owners. People get what they like, so will I be branded a coke dealer if I choose the Countach or will I be cooler by you guys if I got the TR? For me, I don't really care what other people think of my car or judgements they make about me based on that car. I enjoy it, and that is all that matters. There are many cool cars out there from many different manufacturers. Those people that live and die by one marquee are the ones that are really missing out...

8. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Regarding your statement about: "nouveau riche": Just some yuppie who made/inherited a ton of $$$ and has no class, heritage, culture and education

I have a friend/client with a 360. He has no interest in joining the club, he knows the models only about as far back as a Dino, has no interest in racing nor does he know the racing models, but he has owned every 8 cylinder model from 308 on up, as well as a few Lambos. Yes, he's got money, but his lack of interest in racing heritage, etc. does not make him any less of a person. He knows that he likes the way a Ferrari looks, drives, and how it makes him feel. Isn't that all that it's about?

Of course this thread was started about somebody ripping on Ferraris who doesn't have one, but there have been some very general statements made here that don't apply to everybody...

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Sean, I totally agree!

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't think your friend qualifies for 'nouveau riche' in my book. I'm thinking of young guy who just learned about Ferrari in the latest movie, goes to a dealer and picks "the red one with the brown seats please".

Your friend has already established his very own tradition by going through the 8 cylinder series. I consider that a Ferrari fan.

BTW: Get that Countach please. I'd finally meet a non gold chain Lambo owner.
    :)

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No,I wasn't "Ripping" all Porsche owners. Please,read it again. I did put that not all are like that. I can only relay the experiences that I have had,personally,and that I have heard from others. I owned a Porsche once,too. I even wanted to get my Wife a Boxster. But,she declined because we already have 2-2 seaters,and she really wanted a P.T.Cruiser instead. So,thats what she got. My old neighbor had 4.(3-914's,1-928,) and,even HE said that about Porsche guys,because they "Looked Down" at his "Lowly" 914's,or his Front engined 928,which,in my opinion,is the best looking car Porsche ever built. But thats just my opinion.(Although,I do like the newer models. Including Boxster. But,ask a "Real Porschephile" what they think about the Boxster,and the ones I've spoken to say,"The 924 of the new Millenium") But,thats just their opinion. And,I tried to get together with some Porsche guys,and they actually WERE what people generally think Ferrari guys are. These guys were,anyway. Really cocky,stuck-up.Mr. Know-it-all types who know,or think they know,everything about every car,All types of Auto Racing,and how Superior their cars are.(To them) And,I was thinking,why? I don't,or won't rip anybody for what car that they like,or Drive. I've owned a very vast selection of cars. I had been even contemplating the very same decision-"Testarossa or Countach". (But decided on Testarossa) I like what I like,and can't say that I prefer any specific type of car. But,I see an awful lot of that going on here. Too many people,on FERRARICHAT,coming on simply to bash Ferrari's. I don't think that anyone here goes on Lambo Chat,or,a Porsche site,simply to bash their cars. And,the "Gold chain,Drug dealer" thing with Countach's. I think it's stupid,too. But,Neither me,or any one else on this board,started that Analogy. Thats been going on since those cars came out. Blame Miami Vice :) Blame the 80's. Blame the Columbian Cartels. Blame Canada.:)

12. screentime

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Funny thing is, I've never like Porsche's of any kind in my whole life until the Boxster S. I've always thought they're too bubbly shaped. I drove a 911 Turbo before I bought the Boxster S, and it was great fun to drive, but as soon as I got out of it and looked at it, I couldn't stand it. I do love the look of the new Carrera GT though. Moreover, the Porsche was something the wife liked and can drive easier than the 308, and in most weather. As far as Porsche guys looking down on the Boxster, or higher end Ferrari guys looking down on 308s, for me, I don't buy cars for status, I buy them cause I'm 31 and own my own business and now I can go down my list of childhood dreams and one by one get the cars I dreamed about as a kid, even if they are older, not consider "high-end" or "elite" anymore. If I had all the money in the world, I still wouldn't get a 550 or 575, because the body style doesn't really excite me. Its personal taste, I like a racier look, and those have a more "older gentlemen" look to them (not to stereotype, just my opinion), but there definitely is a status to owning one of those, but I would never buy it for the status. I certainly have grown to like the newer 8 cylinder models, 348, 355 and 360, but I have to go and get my ultimate dream cars first (TR, Countach, Dino), then the ones that I'm finding attractive as of late, which besides Ferraris includes a Lambo Diablo Roadster. All in good time, but if I have to have a certain level of car to be with the "in" crowd, thats not my crowd anyway. Fortunately, I haven't really found that eliteist attitude in FCA at all, (well, maybe one lady...) and I've met the wideest cross-section of people in one group in my whole life. This is a good thing.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fully agree there. I didn't expect that btw. Refreshing.

I also agree with your looks of the car statement, however I have read such glorifying reviews of the 550/575, that the car is probably a ton of funs to drive. Just not so exciting looks.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I definitely agree with Sean. I like what I like. Not as a "Status Symbol" or anything. I have a Ferrari SOLELY because I Love them,and always wanted one. I bought it for ME. To impress ME. No one else. I did not get it to "Get Noticed",actually,sometimes that can be an annoying factor. But,not often. When I went to get my First Ferrari, (Finally,after a couple earlier attempts. Long Stories) I could have gotten a 355,550,Testarossa,even a 360 Coupe. But,I always wanted a 308. Nothing else. My first Ferrari HAD to be a 308. And,since they don't make New 308's,had no alternative but to have to buy a 20 something year old model. With,20 something year old Power and Technology. But,I don't CARE about that stuff anymore. I enjoy Driving. Not Street Racing. I can go fast in my Corvette if the need for speed ever develops.Or a Track Day. But,my 308 has more than adequete Speed and Performance for what I use it for. And,as far as some in the Ferrari,or any other Car community,looking Down at the "Lowly 308". I could care less! That doesn't affect me in any way,shape or form. Who knows,the 308 is absolutely THE most noticed,Well Known, (in all circles,even the General Public) Ferrari ever built. And,without it's incredible popularity over the past 28 years,can even be attributed to the continuing success of Ferrari,and who knows. Had the 308 not have been as popular,Ferrari may not have made it through those rough years.(went the Route of Maserati and Lambo. and be owned by Audi or VW now,or something.:) ) Well. I am ready to add a 2nd Ferrari. Do I want a new 360? 575? Sure. Someday,maybe. But,right now,it's going to be the 2nd. Favorite Ferrari of Mine...a Testarossa. Not becuase they are "cheap" right now,but because thats what I want. And,as far as Porsches go. I am fully aware of their Super Performance,Technology,German Engineering. But,I don't Care about that stuff anymore. I simply like a car for how it looks. Thats all. And,I NEVER liked those 911's,and all of the off shoot models of that body style,because,regardless of Performance,to me,they always looked like a VW Beetle! Which,again to me,NOT an appealing car. I do like the New porsche Models,and the Boxster. And,the old 928 and 944 models,which the so called "Porschephiles" look down on kind of the same way the so called "Ferrari Purists" look down at the 308. Who cares. I get what "I" Like!