BMW Re Assigns Designer | FerrariChat

BMW Re Assigns Designer

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Well for those of you who HATE DESPISE AND get you knickers in a twist Automotive News is reporting your favorite BMW designer has been "Promoted" out of the design studio to an executive office.

2. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Is this the guy responsible for ruining the 5,7 and Z3 into the Z4 series? I hope he doesn't wreck the rest of BMW. ;)

3. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hopefully the only thing he will be designing in the future is power point presentations.

4. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Do you know his name, was he an American?

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    One Chris Bangle

6. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    No.

Bangle has been PROMOTED via this move, not disciplined or removed. Plus he only signed off on these designs, he didn't pen them himself, and arrogantly took credit for them when he thought early on that they were revolutionary.

The true person responsible for the suicidally ugly designs of the BMWs mentioned above is a Norwegan, whose name is Van Hookek? Van Noooyek? Sorry, he gets no press under Bangle's all encompasing media driven ego hunger. This is the person that is now in charge of signing off on all upcomming BMWs, and THAT is scary.

Maybe Ferrari can steal him away to make the 612 even uglier...I'll send Luca an email.

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Adrian van Hooydonk (honestly that is his name) and the tone of the release from BMW almost seems to me like they are priming him for the "Fall Guy"

Credit or not there are very few people who have become such a lightning rod.....

8. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    It's funny as you move through income brackets how it affects the cars you can own. When the Bangle 7-series and Z4 came out I was outraged, feared what the next M3 (M4 now) would become, etc etc, because that was my limit at that time on spending towards a sportscar ($60k). You really don't have many options there, it's either a used 355, a used NSX, a used 911, or a new M3. Not a Viper or Vette fan, so that's about it.

Now two years later I don't give a **** what BMW does because none of their cars are appealing anymore since I can now afford to go with a new F-car, or a Lambo, or an Aston if I choose.

Let BMW hang themselves with Adrian for all I care, but I hope you're right anyway and that he's the one with the noose around his neck now.

9. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

I am driving a Audi S4 $52k BEST CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN....(for an all around car) AWD 8 cl 340hp+..... Looks better to my eye than a BMW...

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    S4? Really? Are you just driving it or have you acquired one for yourself? Just curious.

Chris Bangle was handpicked by the Quandt family to head the design studio at BMW. As I said in an earlier post when everyone was cheering the fact that he might be leaving that position, that I would be really surprised to see the Quandts let him fade out. Well, here we go. He is not booted out, he is elevated to a new position. Go figure. Put your name to the designs that change the face (no pun intended) of BMW and get moved up for doing it. If I had approved changes like BMW has done I would be looking for a job desining concept cars for Daewoo.

For those who do not know, the Quandt family is the major stockholder in BMW and Herbert Quandt was the man who infused cash into BMW after WW2 to keep them from going under. They swing a lot of weight there although it may have lessened over time.

11. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Great car.

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Audiguy... James Would love to own it but just a media car.... whimper....

It is on the list of things I REALLY REALLY want...

13. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Today is a great day in the Metroplex to test the Quattro on the S4 Writerguy. Let me know how it responds............:>)

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Already been done and WOW QUATTRO RULES!!!!

ilovethiscar Ilovethiscar ILOVETHISCAR!!!!

15. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Adrian van Hooydonk will be taking over as head of BMW design. He is the one that is largely responsible for the look of the new 5 and new 7.

Audis and Cadillacs are looking a LOT better these days.

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Ask me if I have a smile on my face to hear the BMW news. I was with them 17 years and am certainly disappointed at this development but since I now represent the competition..................:>) :>) :>)