1 Lola | FerrariChat

1 Lola

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tub rebuild done.
    Wiring cleaned up.
    Going together.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Napolis, how do you do something like this? I have heard of frame off restorations, but how do you do a frame up one? Do you have a junker out back that you can look at to figure out what goes where, or do you just eyeball it and say, "Hmmm, I see. They must have done it this-a-way?"

DrTax

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You begin by building a jig that is like a giant exoskeleton that bolts to the old tub. You then square up the jig. You then drill out the rivets and remove the panels. You then fix/redo the panels. You then fix welds and add gusseting and braces. Next you mount the new panels. One fine day you're back to where you started.

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Jim
    Do you have any "Before" images of what the car was.... I am sure he has posted them but...

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Jim
    I've owned this car since 72 and it's had many lives and won several races (Donohue/Pensky). It's listed in Sharkey's Lola book which also has photo's. (latest vol.)
    SL71-32
    Since then it was SCCA A Sports racing Champ for several years and Mt Equnox all time record holder, (John Meyers)
    When I was younge and foolish I drove it in it's full Can Am configuration on the highways of NY under the starlit skys.
    Heavy Metal Thunder.
    Those were the days...

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Jim
    Beats the hell out of your old VW Bug.....