would anyone here buy a euro 360 spider | FerrariChat

would anyone here buy a euro 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by scycle2020, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    has anyone bought or considered getting a euro 360 spider...and at how much of discount to a us model would they be worth it...2001 are listed at 160 to 175 k....your opions and expert insights would be appreciated

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    if it's already federalized, don't think twice.

the 360 is a world car. there are minor differences, none worth worrying about.

doody.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Personally I wouldn't buy a converted Euro. I had the chance to buy the exact same coupe that I have now for almost $40K less(a Euro model) and passed. I'm not sure how it would all pencil out down the road but I would rather buy a car that was intended for this market, from the factory. Who knows maybe from a pure $$ stand point the Euro would save you $$......

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    this topic is super interesting, I have seen that the euro's are usually what? 20K less? the way I see it, if you are in the market for a car already off warranty, why not right? a 99 360 is probably sub 100k! cool! I have heard mixed reviews, some say avoid them like the plague, others say that opinion is stated by dealers to sell more US cars...hmm...

5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

A main thing to remember is that when you go to sell the car, you'll never get as much as a comparable US car. A large percentage of buyers will shy away from Euro cars. I see it as similar to buying a high-mileage F-car: it may be cheaper to buy initially, but maintenance costs the same and when you go to sell, it will always have the "stigma" of having high miles regardless of condition.

The Euro/US comparison doesn't apply to some older models such as the 412 or Boxer, they are all gray market imports. With the 360, however, there is a large supply of US cars available and that would surely limit the resale value of gray market cars.

Another reservation I would have would be the previous history of the car, and whether you could even get an accurate history. It is my understanding that european owners tend to use their cars more often and harder (if you had a 360 and the Autobahn, wouldn't you?). That may be good or bad, but you'd hate to get one that was repaired after a getoff at the Ring with no documentation to show the extent of the damage. You may or may not be able to get an accurate history of the car.

With that said, if you knew exactly what car you were buying, and planned on keeping it for a long time, why not? The $40k you saved would buy a hell of a lot of timing belts and tires.

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    guys - you're smokin' dope. at least be kind enough to share it :)

the modern f-cars are world cars. they are not manufactured on a separate production lines. they do not have 50% different parts. federalizing these cars is not rocket science. for all intents and purposes, it's the same damn car.

they are not building cars "intended for a market" (steering wheel location notwithstanding). yes, there are tweaky things for each destination market (KM -vs- Miles; yellow light -vs- red light; etc.) but they are the same fundamental car.

it sure appears that you'll get less at resale time than if it was a NA car. but of course you paid less at purchase time. the only thing that matters is the depreciation curve comparison, and i'll bet anybody that if you go and do the purchase/resale analysis the curves for NA -vs- ROW are, drum roll please, effectively identical.

and don't buy the crap about dealers refusing to service them. blah blah blah. the only way they'd refuse you is if they're booked up at 110% allocation for the next six months - and that doesn't happen.

this whole topic really gets my irish up. it's a psych play. nobody builds cars for one market anymore. that economic climate is LONG gone. if you want to compete globally you build globally. if F S.p.A. was not following this logic they'd have not survived their 1980s faltering.

they're the same cars, guys.

now, i personally wouldn't go through the federalizing process myself. that smells like a ton of hassle and money and work. but again, maybe it isn't and i'm just pulling info off of neurons connected in my brain decades ago :).

doody.

7. ponyup360

ponyup360 Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Huntington BEach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jerry Lotter
    Read my post below. I like what one guy said "last time I checked there is no Ferrari factory in the USA. They are all european" If you are buying the car with the resale in mind invest your money in Tresuries. If you are going to drive the car just do it. The maintenance on a Euro is the same as in the US (out of warranty) or maybe I should check with my mechanic if he charges $200/hour on a Euro and only $100 on a US. I like having the extra $50,000 in my pocket. I bought for $150 (steal) an the similar car in US was $219. Oh yeah and Scumacher does not own a US car. He would definately know the difference. Oh yeah, Ferrari OC is glad to take my AMEX when ever I bring them the car!!!!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8711&highlight=euro+360

8. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

i have a euro 360 spider, my business partner has a US version. he paid 70k more for the car and has had way more hassles with his than i've had with mine. out of warrenty, there is no reason to pay up for a US version. i've investigated this topic thoroughly and think anyone that says different has not done their homework. in the end, you'll pay less to get it, and you'll get less when it comes time to sell it, that's fine...put the rest in yahoo or some crap (kiddin).

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Isn't there some mechanical difference between Euro & US version to comply w/ EPA restriction? I was told Euro car is lighter in weight by F salesman. I didn't ask him what causes the weight difference so I don't know why the weight difference.

I agree w/ Doody & sjb509. You buy low, and sell low, unlike good stock. Unless you sell it in few years, you can enjoy a car & saving. Euro car can be serviced in the US. So only problem could be the warranty if you buy it new.

Scycle2020, What I am interested is EPA/DOT costs, modification costs if any, and what price for Euro vs. US version. At least, I can see the feasibility.

I also heard euro version can go faster as more HP. Is this true?

Some F owners I know in Japan will modify their Euro car to pass the inspection, but after the inspection, they will convert it back to Euro spec, spending several thousands for works. I can't see any benefit, but then, I don't know much about the difference either.

Sorry there is no expert insights. I am also interested in this subject for the future, when I buy brand new Ferrari. (I hope!)

Yoshi Ace

10. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Doody, you addressed the issue, perfectly.

11. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Yes, the Euro car is about a pound lighter due to different smog equipment. No, it has the same bhp as the US version. Yes, they can be modified fairly easily to comply with DOT/EPA but getting stupid parts like side lights is a major hassle.

Yes, any independent shop will work on it, dealers are heartily discouraged from doing so. Dealers live at Ferrari's pleasure. Ordering a part from the factory requires VIN #. The factory knows who is servicing Euros and they do get pissed off. They may have lost the lawsuit but they still control parts shipment.

We had a retired MD here, out in Oregon (can't remember his name) who got one of the first 360 Euro coupe conversions and saved a couple of bucks. He specifically stated he would never do it again due to the parts/service hassle. The savings were not worth the headache.

The above applies only to 360's which would be under warranty if bought in the US as a US model. Once out of warranty there's little difference. I will be selling my 360 before the warranty expires in 12/04.

12. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    anyone happen to know what market for a federalized 99 modena is? TIA

ernie:)

13. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

i've had zero problems having my euro serviced by the factory dealer. they couldn't care less that it's a euro.

the conversion costs around 15k from a reputable shop, and takes several weeks, then has to be cleared by DOT and the EPA....no biggie.

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That doctor in Oregon is Martin Weiner and I know who's got his car now. It's being serviced by Dave Helms in Boulder and reportedly Dave has gotten that thing to be a total beast. The money saved can be used to tune the car properly.

If there are no issues with the conversion stuff then don't hold back on getting the Euro. It costs the same to run as a US car. You pay less when you start, you get less when you finish. So what? The laws of economics dictate that if the US and Euro cars depreciate at the same rate, you'll lose less with the Euro car. I don't see what the big deal is.

15. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Now with the strong Euro/ weak Dollar there is no more incentive to bring Euro cars to the US. So, all current Euro cars for sale should be federalized and out of warrantee.

Rijk

16. ponyup360

ponyup360 Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Huntington BEach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jerry Lotter
    What to use the extra money for? The 50K I have saved got me a Capristo, test pipes, front & rear challenge grills, new stereo system and 19" Hamann PG3 wheels. What a difference. Total cost $15k. I still have spending money to play with. Pictures to follow.

17. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    If your buying a car without warranty, then save the money. Unless of course the only people available in a reasonable distance to repair the car, wont. The other issue is buying a car with unknown history, wrecked?, tampered odo?, etc. DD. But even then the savings can be significant.

Matt

18. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Look at it this way, I live in Hong Kong and all they sell are euro version rhd ferraris, you know what the answer is if you ask me whether I would choose a higher hp euro or emissions laden us model.

For some reason euro cars are viewed as a inferior lesser performing cars in the US when the truth is the other way around.

Doody is right on point, I rather use the 40k saved on a brand new second car.

The americans should realized that there is a whole big exciting world out there.....