Classic Ferrari section or not ? | FerrariChat

Classic Ferrari section or not ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by parkerfe, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Classic Ferrari section or not ?

1. yes

2. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A while back I posted a suggestion that Robb create a Classic Ferrari section similiar to the Vintage Ferrari section to cover cars from the 365GT4BB to the 328 which are not "vintage" but not "modern" either. Robb sent me an e-mail suggesting that I post a query to see who else would be interested . So, if you think a Classic Ferrari section would be a good new section, let Robb know by saying so here.

2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    maybe a poll would be in order for this one Frank?

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Why split 328 from 348?

I'd be inclined to define it as "348 and Testarossa or earlier, but not vintage". I think people's tastes tend to be "vintage", "the 70's-80's styles", or the modern cars.

That leaves "355, 550, 456, and later" as Modern.

I think that would be a good split, except for one thing... the supercars. F40 in one and F50 in the other won't work. Sooooo....

Supercars = Enzo, F50, F40, 288GTO
    Modern = 355, 550, 456, and later
    Classic = 348, Testarossa, and earlier, but not before 1970.
    Vintage = 1969 and earlier

I think that might give people places to focus, rather than just having to hit both places to cover all their interests.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Brian, I suggested the range be from the 365GT4BB to the 328 as that is what Ferrari considers as a classic in the spare parts section on the Ferrari Owners site.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    NOOOOOO, if you split it,it will weaken the mix. Remember when you draw the line at 348/328,it will have to be redrawn in a years time when the 355 is 10 years old and the 360 will be replaced in a few years. It aint broke dont fix it.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mikey likes this...

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm liking this idea proposed by Frank. Where we draw the line can be determined, but as the site has grown maybe we can have...

GFD

Modern Ferraris
    Classic Ferraris
    Vintage Ferraris

I think the real question is where to put technical, for now I think there should just be one technical section because the technical area within Vintage wasn't popular at all.

Thanks Frank!

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The technical info is a benefit I see. As a Boxer owner, when looking for technical info I do not need to weed through the problems with 360 F1 shifters or obtaining a new bumper for a 275. A division between the Daytona and 365 Boxer and the 328 and 348 as done by Ferrari at their own web site seems appropriate to me. The Boxer was a great departure from the Daytona as was the 348 from the 328 hence seperating the vintage from classic and classic from modern.

9. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Frank, shouldn't it be Classic Fiat/Dino

10. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That is reasonable justification. However, for F-chat, I think the key is finding cars that people tend to like to read about together. The angular designs vs. the curvy designs definitely are a distinct split in the community. Also, the technical characteristics, the pricing, and the "competitive era" are all fairly similar among the 3x8 cars. And the Testarossa's brotherhood to the 3x8 cars is also very strong.

Further, that works chronologically very nice. If ever there was a huge shift in Ferrari production, it was 1995. Testarossa (512M) and 348 were ended; F50, 456, and 355 were begun. The 550 followed. Putting the split on that huge shift makes sense, as argued above, plus it gives us chronological splits of:

1947-1969 Vintage (23 years)
    1970-1995 Classic (25 years)
    1995-20xx Modern (10-?? years)

Arguably, that division will be well balanced for another 10-15 years.

11. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Agreed... for me, I visit Technical, but scan for only threads with "360" in them... or anything racing related. I'd rather the 360 threads just went into the Modern section.

HOWEVER, I suspect that we have some mechanics and other technical gurus who visit nothing EXCEPT Technical... and are plenty qualified and interested in technical issues on all cars. It is for people like them (not for people like me) that Technical is organized that way for... because its them we need to keep coming to F-chat... they're the ones with the expertise.

Ideal would require some software work: the ability to flag a thread as "Technical". If you post a thread on 360 F1 problems to the Modern section, and then flag it Technical, then it ALSO shows up in the Technical forum. In that way, the mechanics and tech experts can just go to Technical and see all threads marked technical; but the model-specific threads all still show up under their divisions, such that people like me who want to learn more and may occasionally have some experience to lend can see them without having to wade through things we know nothing about.

Rob, does the vB software support any cross-post functionality like that?

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Brian, Vintage would go through 1973 the last year of the Daytona . Classic would start with 1974 the first year of the 365GT4BB . It wouldn't make sense for a 1968 and 1969 Daytona to be in vintage and 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1973 Daytonas to be in classic ?

13. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Oh, I wasn't going to touch that split... as I understand, that was a big debate in F-chat past and 1969 was settled upon. And the big concorso's seem to have that as a magical year, too.

But I would agree that 1974 would seem a good date for the split. The last Daytonas were produced in 1974 (not 73), as were the last Dino 246's. The 365 GT4 BB started in 74 and the 308 GTB in 1975. 1974 ended the curvy designs until the modern era.

So, I fully support:

1947-1974 Vintage (Dinos, Daytonas, and earlier)
    1974-1995 Classic (308 and Boxer through 348 and Testarossa)
    1995-20xx Modern (355, 456, 550, and later)

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Right now I'm thinking a year split to make it easy to figure.

1969 and before
    70's and 80's
    1990 and later

Good for the 328/348, because it was at 1990, but then that splits up the TR's, so maybe we do need some model distinction.

Hmm, 8's vs. 12's? I think I just stirred the nest again.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Robb, the vintage section already splits up the 365GT, Daytona and 246 which were all made both before and after the current 1969 cut-off date.

16. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, 1974 and 1995 get you BOTH a nice year split (making it easy) AND a nice model split (see above). Win-win; best of both worlds; etc.

Further, consider that 1974 and (roughly) 1995 correspond to the once-a-decade FCA-in-Monterey events! Okay, weak argument... just trying to add to my case for 74 and 95. ;)

17. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    Great idea!

But I've got another 'humble' wish: a database - maybe linked to the model list - with all pictures, uploaded bij Ferrarichatters.
    It happens more and more that new members ask questions about special Ferrari's or open threads on cars that have been dealt with (somtimes long)before.

Interested in your opinions

Joop van der Meer

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    From my improvement plan...

"Phase 2a (Complete by March 28th): Value Added

- Implement “Consultants” program so we have official recognition of the Subject Matter Experts in various areas from technical to history.
    - Add more literary content to the monthly newsletter. Articles submitted by users.
    - Better system of handling non-forum resources, like the technical articles.
    - First stages of an online complete Ferrari registry.
    - Online store selling FerrariChat.com branded merchandise."

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, you're probably going to need to do a model and year distinction. Maybe is is just me, but I have a hard time seeing a 348 as a "classic."

Dale

20. TipoPendleton

TipoPendleton Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    Hancock Park, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    365GT 2+2: Definately a Classic, many classify as the last iteration of the pure 60's Ferrari (styling, wood dash, Borranis, etc.).

Daytona: Not only a Classic, but a brand icon.

365GTC: A Classic by any definition.

But then, what to do about the 8's? The GT4 now seems genuinely Classic (who woulda thunk?), while the GT-b/s seem more contemporary (purely subjective opinion here).

Reality check: what a silly - but indeed fun and purposeful - academic exercise! Let's not forget to drive!!

(btw: my first post!)

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I say we do away with all this silly focus on the cars and concentrate on the owners:

Modern: born after 1966
    Classic: born 1950 - 1965
    Vintage: born before 1950

Time for a Classic Coke.
    :)