How fast could..... | FerrariChat

How fast could.....

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by CraigW, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    A 1992 Tyrrell F1 car go in a straight line and over approximately a mile, maybe slightly longer, the reason I ask is I will be driving one for charity...blindfolded in an attempt to beat the current Guiness world record.

I'm just looking for a rough idea (and this is all assuming I can actually drive it!!!)

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow....that sounds incredible!! You will probably top out speedwise before reaching the end of a mile. Depending on gearing, I'll take a guess that you'll hit 220 to 230 mph or so. A lot depends on how the car is set up. The more downforce/drag you have will reduce top speed, and visa-versa. You'll probably hit your top speed about 2/3 mile into it, and then maintain it the rest of the way. I'm sure there are other knowledgeable people who can expound on this topic much better than I.

How much driving experience do you have in cars such as this one? What a dream it would be to actually drive one!!

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ????

You're driving a F1 blindfolded? But aside from that you're ok?

Any F1 can reach top speeds far besides the 300 km/h mark. It all depends on how much down force has been dialed in on the wings. People new to F1 normally get a lot of down force to avoid them just spinning in circles while in 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

I wish you good luck and in case you were serious about the blind folded part, I hope you do your charity work on a Salt Lake bed.

4. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    Hi guys, thanks. I have absolutely no experience other than taking my 3200 on a 2 mile straight runway and my 348 on same runway at 170ish.

Yes, I will be blindfolded (an am also starting to question my own sanity). I will be given some training and will have a racing driver chasing me and giving guidance on maintaining a straight line.

AARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH

it is for charity though

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Which charity. Is it actually for blind people or something.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It's for the society of people who like seeing other people get fu*ked up.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No offense, but I do think this is insane. Not just for your safety, but also a bit of a waste of the F1.

F1 cars a wonders of technology and perform best when challenged through turns. They can be fast on straight speed, but that's not really what they're made for. You might as well use a NASCAR or some other clunker and get the same result.

Aside from that driving a F1 is a lot of fun and needs some finesse. I know because I have driven one (91 AGS, very similar to what you're driving). Doing this blindfolded takes a way a lot of your sensory input and will in all likelihood ruin what would be otherwise a fantastic experience. Besides, keeping a F1 in a straight line without doing donuts isn't too easy to begin with. Heck, even engaging the clutch and getting it into 1st gear without stalling is an artform.

Anyway, I wish you good luck and please rethink the blindfolded requirement.

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How wide is the tarmac you'll be driving on?

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hopefully the State of Nevada.

I would suggest Edwards Air Force base. Space Shuttle landing strip.

10. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Remember, when in doubt... turn left.

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Id hate to see someone go into some grass and hit even the slightest rutt in the ground at those speed. I hope its at least somewhat near the shuttle strip width at least. This whole thing sounds crazy to me. I even make sure to notice when im going to blink at speeds above 130.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually the Shuttle strip is 'only' about 100 meters wide. That would definitely NOT suffice while blindfolded.

The Salt flats in Nevada would do the trick. Where they do the high speed Mach runs etc. Enough run off area in any direction and totally flat and nothing to hit. Anything short of that while blindfolded is bad news for car and driver.

Once a F1 is actually going, it is very stable. So once you got passed the initial spin potential the thing is like on rails. But again a slight deviation on the steering wheel at those speeds and you're toast.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good idea. The Salt Flats would be Ideal, they never even crossed my mind.

14. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    LOL, NICE

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I would pay to see it!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would pay to drive that F1 with my eyes opened.

17. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    I agree, this is an unnecessary risk.

That said, as long as you receive an opportunity to drive without blindfold, and have a competent crew to make adjustments, the handling at high speed can be dialed in to be very stable, and having a radio spotter to guide will work well.

I once tested on a 10,000 foot runway at midnight on a GT car with no lighting, just runway lights. Totally bizarre. Like being on a roller coaster in a dark tunnel. "When you get to the amber lights, 1000 ft left, by red if you're not slowing down, it's too late."

You'll hit top speed within 1/2 mile, assuming proper gearing and aero trimmed out, say possible 240+ mph, probable 220 mph.

Post video and commentary.

Via con Dios,

Rob Schermerhorn

18. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    I'm still waiting to get all the details, it will be on a very wide runway, I will get training (without the blindfold) and when doing the challenge will have a racing driver chasing me (god knows what in??) and advising me of my position. Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm glad to hear you'll get some training first. That will give you a chance to learn how to get it up in the gears. Once its rolling in say 3rd, it will be relatively safe. Your helping driver will tell you how you're weering off and you'll need to make just tiny adjustments on the wheel.