Your thoughts and opinions on ? | FerrariChat

Your thoughts and opinions on ?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by den1s, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. den1s

den1s Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Dear F- Chatters
    i relocated to SoCal a year back and have been a member of the board for some time.
    Having decided after reading the advice and comments of real people that own F cars that a daily commute of 35 miles each way probably isnt a great way to treat a Ferrari i purchased a Z4 which quite honestly i love.
    i have the daily commute covered (Z4) the family mover (Touareg) sorted out i am looking towards the pleasure car or "hobby car" as my SO prefers to refer to it.
    Having gone through all of that useless preamble i am looking for advice on which Ferrari you would buy as your first (and probably only for a good while to come) foray into the marque and also where you would search for one.
    Being in SoCal i almost feel that it is my duty to have a convertible although having purchased quite a few Ferrari publications (which i am happy to share with you all if any of you are of a mind to) the choice seems to be way more bewildering as virtually anything looks so damned good to me.
    i would have to say that my criteria would be to go for something that i can use on the odd commute and definately something that would see the weekend roads constantly although the running costs from some of the stories are somewhat offputting ....hence the Z4 and not a Boxster by the way.
    Anyway thanks for the board as i love the pics and posts although i am dead jealous of the cars
    D

2. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
  3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Den1s...

Welcome to FerrariChat...

Unfortunately, i DON'T live in California... However, the subject of "which Ferrari should be my first?" has come up before and my suggestion to you, now, is the same i made back then; get the one you WANT...! If you have a childhood dream Ferrari, get that one... A convertible that you can occasionally use on your commute to work...? Get an F50... Concerned about the maintenance costs...? How about a Mondial or a 355...? Are you mechanically inclined to do some minor repairs yourself...? If so, get a 308 or a 328 (GTS of course) and go from there... 308s/328s are not terribly high-maintenance, but they're not getting any younger, either...

With that, let it be known that i do not, nor have i ever owned a Ferrari (although i hope to, one day, in the future) and if (when) that day comes, i'll be living in SoCal, so we should hook up one weekend for a drive... :)

Take care, welcome to FerrariChat and keep us posted on what you decide to do...

...and don't forget to post pictures...! :)

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think it depends mostly on your price range!

A 308 or 328 is always a good place to start.

5. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    D,
    Not sure where in So. Cal. you are, but if you come out to Crystal Cove you can talk with and see many F-Cars. Too bad you missed the FDC drive last weekend, every late model was represented. And YES, the guys in the open top cars looked like they were having a lot of fun! I think most Fcar owners are more than open to talk about their cars or give rides.
    Your budget plays a big part on what you buy. How much you can lose on depreciation may also be a factor. But if you plan on keeping the car, it really makes no difference.
    You can't go wrong with a 308 or 328GTS as a starter.
    If you like front engine cars and 12 cylinders, a 550 is a real driveable car.
    It really depends on what YOU like.
    I have had a poster of a 512BB for 20 years in my garage, but my first Ferrari was an F40. I drive it a lot.

Whatever you get, I'm sure you will love it,
    Rick

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    LOL - I still get a kick out of the F40 for the starter Ferrari. Rick Rules!

7. den1s

den1s Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Gents
    As always great informational value in the replies to a question that most are sick of seeing by now !
    i would really love to do Crystal Cove one weekend although as my 2 year old is not a morning person i'll have to work an opening ;)
    Budget wise i have been playing around with the oldest of conundrums that says buying a "less expensive" car may cost more in terms of rectifying others problems and i read the greatest post on here from the guy that explained ingreat detail his path (and associated costs) to a fabulous Mondial.
    His explanation was even more poingant to me as i live in the Westlake/Agoura area so where he first broke down i probably would have rushed over to help as its 5 minutes way from home.
    i grew up in Europe and as sports cars go the most widely accepted "exotics" were definately Ferraris and LAmbos (George Best - if you know who he was/is - had one in his prime) although the E-Type was probably the most widely seen on the English roads. After that came the various Lotuses and Porsches which i have actually owned although still looking for that first Ferrari experience which other cars dont seem to sate.
    As for models i really do go back and forth between wanting to take the family out to enjoy the experience (Mondial Cab) and the pure selfish performance of a 2 seater. As for 2 seaters i look at anything post 80 and have tried to work out whether i would prefer the TestaRossa which i always loved but felt maybe somewhat impractical to use or something like the BabyTestaRossa (stylalike) 348. Both of these would be in my price range (just about looking at Ebay values rather than showroom) although maybe a better preserved 328 could leave me with a buffer for the inevitable rainy day.
    Anyway enough from me and if you ever get to do anything in the area i am happy to give a ride to someone in the upholstered skateboard that is my Z4 !
    dennis

8. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Dennis,

You should definately try to make it to crystal cove and talk to a bunch of the guys. I've got a 75 308 GT4 which is a great car, and very cheap to get into (of course you still have ferrari maintenance costs).

I'm usually at crystal cove on Saturdays, though I may not be able to make it this weekend.

Dom

9. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    D,
    I am bringing my F40 up to Calabasas on the 22nd. I am trying to get a group together from O.C. to come up as well. That should be closer to you and it is on a Sunday after 10. Maybe we will see you there.

Rick

10. den1s

den1s Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Gents

Will definately be in Calabassas this Sunday and hope to see some of you there

Dennis