Anybody fancy a 4 rotor powered RX-7? :) | FerrariChat

Anybody fancy a 4 rotor powered RX-7? :)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Johnny Bravo, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I'm a self confessed rotorhead and I'm always enamored with any multi-rotorpowered car. Until recently the only 4 rotor cars out there (to my knowledge & not including prototype/show cars like the rotary powered MB's and Vette) were the Mazda 787B LeMans cars, Mazda Kudzus, and the Scoot Sports 4 rotor RX-7 (which is VERY highly modded inside & out as to almost not even look like the car it started life as). This one is an Aussie/NZ car putting out around 580rwhp I believe and it sounds otherworldly:

http://atom.no-ip.org/squeez/4rotorfd.MPG

Engine bay shot: http://www.rx7club.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=2647663

"Its two EFI Hardware 55mm IDA throtle bodies mounted on custom intake manifold, eight 550cc/minute injectors, 45 litre custom fuel cell, two Bosh motorsport fuel pumps, SX pressure regulator, eigth Bosh ignition coils Controled by an Autronic ECU..."

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Im not a fan of any cars like that really and I hate that sound but. HOLY **** that thing shot out of there like a rocket. I wish it wouldve shown the E/T. God man that was quick.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm a huge rotor head myself, I got 4 rotors total, but in two cars. ;)

In SCCA there are some 3 rotor cars that can race in GT, have never seen 4 rotors. They're all sandwiched together, so add more slices and a longer shaft all you want. :)

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Rob I watched those videos on your site and I was wondering what kind of BHP and torque your cars make.

5. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    96impalaSS
    "Im not a fan of any cars like that . . ."
    -Can you elaborate?

"I hate that sound"
    -It sounds like an F1 car. What's not to like? Listen to that howl!

Personally I have no interest in drag racing or drag cars, but I think a 4-rotor rx7 would make a terrific street/track car. One could be put together for about the cost of an E46 M3. I think it's a great alternative (although you will get humped on resale). 590hp equates to about 700hp at the flywheel. In addition you have all the usual benefits of the rx7: extremely low center of gravity, progressive suspension geometry, near perfect weight distribution, 2700lb curb weigh, yada yada yada.

I'm not offended that you don't like it, just curious since you seem to be more than indifferent towards it.

-Chris C.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Only 115-120 RWHP, but the car only weighs 2,200 lbs. It's a momentum racer, which is good learning for when you get in higher HP cars.

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Rob.

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    So would 4 rotors mean 4 turbos to blow up before 50k miles or is that "feature" only on the POS mid 90's RX7's??? :)

<--- former owner of 3 RX7s, and have since learned my lesson to stay FAR away from any rotary engine from Mazda

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think maybe you were with the wrong rotors(3rd gen). I think they got a little worse with each generation. You can over rev them, but you can't over heat them the slightest. 12A is about bullet proof.

10. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #10 CCarlisi, Feb 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have had very good luck with all 3 of my rx7s and none of them have, by any standard, been babied. As Rob said an adequate cooling system is vital to the car's longevity. The stock system is not well suited for track use or higher than stock boost levels. To make matters worse the stock coolant temp gauge on the 3rd gens is not linear; the needle stays in the middle until the motor is a couple degrees from death. However, these problems are nothing that a wad of cash and a call to a tuner can't solve ;)

-Chris C.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Rob,

I had a couple of late 80's/very early 90's (I guess that is Gen2?) as well as the later ones. The earlier ones had problems with flooding and stupid stuff breaking on the car. Every day, something broke... door mechanism, speakers, wipers, cruise control, sunroof. Every time I got in the car, something didn't work. You are right on about the overheating. As I understand the motor is made of a stack of "plates" joined together with long rods. The plates are differing materials, so if the car overheats, they expand differently and warp the rods, basically f-ing up the engine.

Chris, I am glad you had good luck. I would not wish my experiences on anyone. I was on the RX list for a long time, and there, the general consenus was an RX7 motor was maybe good for 50-70k miles before they would blow up. And there was a whole slew of vendors who made a living fixing design problems on Rexes.