What turns you on? | FerrariChat

What turns you on?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 308tr6, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I've been reading here on FChat for a bit, and there is this undertone of what's best or worst and why - seemingly to end up on the classic 308 bashing and the defense of the same. Which brings me to the question, what really turns you on about a car? Styling, prestige, marque', gas mileage (yeah right), top speed, acceleration, lateral g's? I know most would probably say all of the above, but my question is what is "that thing" that gets in your gut when you put the cash on the table. Be honest.

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The look has to be there. If I don't like the way it looks, I will never buy it. If it handles like a boat I will not buy it either.

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The F-50 naturally!!

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I would do both of those.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Is that the Algar Car ?

6. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    What car?

7. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    I know of one special order F50 with its wheels painted gold. That car was delivered in Germany in 1996. Don't know if there were any others ordered with these wheels. Perhaps they could be painted afterwards?

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    ew gold wheels

9. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    What wheels?
    I don't see any wheels...

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Driving experiance and styling. that is the real reason many buy old cars. Why buy an E type? Its slow by today's standard. But the driving experiance is amazing. Same principle.

When I go to my garage and see her sitting there, I always get a smile on my face and feel better. I love her lines.

When I go for a drive I love everything about it... The shifter feel, the clutch feel, the steering feel... the sounds and feeling of piloting her down the road. she might not be as fast my old NSX, but that is fine for me, she is still wonderful for me.

Speed isn't everything. Not that I don't wish she was faster, but for now she is fine.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Actually, now that I think about it, the thing I really want is some TORQUE.

TR in a few years then. :)

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It would have to be an overall "essence". That is why I'm not crazy about many of the modern designs, like Enzo, Gallardo, BMW, most current Cadillacs, etc. I just can't embrace the chiselled appearance a lot of newer cars have.

13. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Overall driving experience, period. If the car is fun to drive and stirs my emotions, that is enough for me and I will buy one.

I really could care less about the car maker or any of that other stuff. That is why I do not understand people who buy a car for the brand. If the brand is appealing, but the car is terrible, what fun is that unless you are a poser?

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Since I own a GT4, obviously looks aren't important for me :)

But seriously, it is a combination of factors that leads to fun. If I'm not having fun in it, it's got to go. Yes, the 308 is obsolete in terms of performance. However, my driving skills are still not up to the point where the car is too much for me. I have fun everytime I step on that gas pedal. And the sound is just amazing.

Dom

15. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Re: the blonde/F50 pic above--doesn't anybody care that she's applying nail polish on top of the car's paint job? I have enough issues with oiled-up, razor-stubbled female bodies writhing over the cars in some of these pictures. Remember the bumper sticker which said Mafia car--you toucha my car I breaka you face. What turns me on? An F50 with a flawless paint job. Apply the nail polish in the bedroom when we get home, honey. Don't make me remind you again...

16. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I know, I know - I feel your pain. Break out the whips! :)

God, if the F50 styling doesn't turn you on, you are 3 days dead.

It's the look. And the sound. And that certain something....

17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Also the 360!!

18. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    I used to say:

Do you know what women really want?
    A black turbo carrera cabriolet!

Do you know what men really want?
    .....................................Friction!

Well, husband bought us a cabriolet, lasted 5 months.
    Then he got me the Ferrari. More friction too.

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I want a gearshift lever, high RPM's, lots of noise, the smell of oil, gas and leather, a body style that turns heads, percise handling, and if there's a hot girl in the seat next to me it sure wouldn't hurt!

Ken

20. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Looks catches my attention first, then driving experience will be determine whether I want that car or not.

SeaBayR, friction can be very good. If there is no friction, it could get boring very soon.

Gabriel, you're right on! F50 looks just amazing. IMO, looks-wise, F50 is the best of Ferrari. (close second is 512M for me)

21. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ