Southern OR real estate questions | FerrariChat

Southern OR real estate questions

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Gary(SF), Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Hi Guys -

I'm looking to buy real estate in Southern Oregon (Grants Pass, Medford, Klamath, Ashland, or ??) and would like recommendations from fellow FChat folks. Climate, prices, desirability, any input appreciated.

Gary

2. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hmmm, I guess there's no land worth buying in Oregon, or they just don't want people from CA moving there. Oh, right, I'm from CA also. Oops. ;-}

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, I've definitely heard the "Californians Stay Home" stories...

Gary

4. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's only for people without f-cars! Ha!

5. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    from my many driving trips to california, i have found that roseburg would be a nice quaint little place to have property....

oregon in general seems very depressing to me...i have never cared for portland..seems like a dismal warehouse town with non consistant architecture..

but as you head south the weather improves and so do the people..

buy in la jolla..

william ceriale sea..

6. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    K-Falls ( Klamath Falls is pretty isolated farming community with a large Native American Indian Tribe. It is cold in the winter with lots of snow and has some of the NW's only geothermo heated streets and sidewalks.

Ashland is the San Fransisco of OR as home of the Sheakspearin festaval and many other cultural influences.

Just North is Medford with an international airport with flights to CA, SEATAC, etc. It like Grants Pass to the north is surrounded by oak and fir covered hills that retain much of the summer heat so several weeks of 90's nights. They are both on the I-5 corridor so you get a little urban influence but still I consider them rural Oregon and I grew up in a place like that and am not real interested in the small town drawbacks if you will.

I live in Salem and love the proximaty to the Oregon Coast 45 min, great golf/skiing at Sunriver/ Bachelor 2 hours, close but yet far enough from Portland which I agree is not that pretty but has some culture when you need it.

I love Seattle but the weather up there sucks! Sorry guys it was near 70 hear in Salem today an the Spyder loved it.

I am still shaking from the intensive battery charging adventure.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If I were rich and free to do what I wanted to do, I would buy real estate in Ashford. The climate, the terrain, and the culture is perfect. It is like northern Cal., its not polluted,( yet), and totally agreeable. Its accessable to the ocean, skiing, and important to entrepenuers, it is growing and has GREAT potential.
    Bob Parks

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Ashland is a wonderful place. I believe the prices are a bit higher there than in most of southern Oregon, but it is very, very nice.

Medford is a nice town, as is Grants Pass. I personally would stay away from Klamath Falls, although it probably has the lowest prices. It is more of a farm town and not as pretty as the others.

The southern Oregon coast is also quite beautiful.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    What is the general feeling of Burns, OR?(south east part of OR)?

10. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    If you move to Roseburg, just watch out for a crazy lunatic in a red/black GT4............

11. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Otherthan Wagon tire ( a real place ) Burns is about the most isolated place in the country why would you want to move there? or is that the reason?