Do you really need a radio/stereo in your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Do you really need a radio/stereo in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alx355gt, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Just another little poll.

I would only turn the radio on for newsbulletins or on long trips.
    In the rental Ferrari's I had, I never turned the radio on. The sound of the car is music itself, isn't it? (especially with TUBI!).
    How about you?

Greets, Alex.

2. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I'm not ALWAYS red-lining, so a radio can come in handy. Chemical Brothers album "come with us" also enhances a long drive, so yes, a radio/CD is a must for me

3. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i'm sure enzo turns over in his grave at the thought of radios in a ferrari...

4. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Mmm,

For some reason the multiple choice isn't visible.
    I posted:

A/ always, an Fcar makes it's own music
    B/ only for newsbulletins/trafficinfo
    C/ only on long trips
    D/ never

Nevermind.
    Just post a reply, thanks.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    My 328 came w/ CD exchanger & amp in the back trunk, which I requested the dealer to remove. I needed space for my golf bag.

As Alx355GT mentioned, the sound of engine & exhaust is good enough for me! The longest trip I had w/ 328 is just 90 minutes, so it may be a different story if I am driving 5-6 hours by myself. But in that case, I probably take a plane, so I don't really need a radio/CD. I haven't played mine yet for the past 9 months.

But I always play CD when I'm in M-B SUV or Excursion. Time to learn some songs for Karaoke...

Yoshi Ace

6. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I ordered the CD from Ferrari's motor department... From the group 8600 RPM's called "come fly with me" eh baby... :)

7. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Absolutely. Every great exotic deserves a great sound system. Factory units just don't cut it, however.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    My experience is with older cars, the radio/indash unit was mostly never modifed. Many Ferraris kept the stock radio with little or no cassette tapes to be found. Come to think of it, When I drove some Ferraris, I never turned on the radio.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I normally just listen to the engine. But,occasionally,do like to Blast some tunes.(Old time Metal Head) On long drives,etc...Mostly,after I have to bring my Son back to his Mom's after my weekend visitation.:( Times like that,I'm Bummed out,so I like to Blast some Metal!!! :)

10. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO I don't think it is worth having a radio in the car. I have removed mine but kept it for the next guy if I ever sell. If it was a touring car I can understand for long trips but for the majority of the time its all around town and the sound of the car is enough music for me. J.M.2 cents

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Depends on the car. I'd want a radio in the 575 or 612, but not in the Stradale.

12. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I have had my '85' Euro 308 for a year and a half, and finally turned on the radio for the first time the other day.

13. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I would say that the sound of the exhaust is music enough.

The Stradale radio looks like an afterthought anyway...

Heck, I read an article in a magazine once and the writer of the article drove a 360 spider in California, he said he totally forgot it had a radio.

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

The 04 Ferraris have as standard equipment 6 Cd changers. Go figure.

Art

15. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Radio????? Radio????........
    You mean some Ferraris Have a radio? WOW!!
    I would have never guessed........

Hmmm, I wonder where it would go in my F40????????
    Damn! I knew something was missing!!

:)
    Rick

Next thing ya know you guys are going to start talking about having Carpet and leather dash boards and door panels and electric windows and cruise control and transmissions that shift themselves and power seats, and, and........... :)

16. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Never had one in any of the sports cars I've owned over the year, so I guess I don't miss it....Not even on long trips...Never had any complaints from any of my passengers either.

VK

17. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Absolutely. I have a Tubi and a Enhanced stereo with the sub . Both tunes playing together is the ticket.

18. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Personally, I think a radio/CD is very important....but maybe it's just me: I get a HUGE rush when I hear my favorite "driving music" barrelling down the highway. The engine is great, yes, and sometimes it stands by itself, but I can't match the music high I get with the right song.

19. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Sorry just to add that the Subaru WRX STi doesn't come standard with a radio either...

20. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Yes, I do use my radios in my sports cars for long trips on the highway. However, I have never needed CD or cassette though, just FM and AM. The RDS feature is really nice IMO with respect to the radio.

Does anyone make a car radio that also includes the shortwave band (9-12.5 MHz)?

I like to listen to BBC and some other world radio stations when we are on our boat, but that is on the boat's ship to shore marine HF transceiver...

Kind Regards, Chris

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I never use one. I do have a nice CD player and speakers in there though.

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    For you guys who take the car out once a week (month?), I'm sure a good stereo seems silly. But for us who drive our toys almost daily, it's a must. I get stuck in traffic and instead of watching that temp needle hover over 90, the radio/cassette etc would help calm my nerves. And when the Cubs made their great run, it was nice to have the game on. Yes, cool engines sound great but if you're DRIVING your car a lot, and there's no one to impress, then there are times you welcome the distraction. Even at a red light I put it on and then turn it off when I go. What am I supposed to do, rev the engine like a Lambo owner?

Ken

23. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    FOFLMAO!

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have what appears to be a pretty good stereo system in my F355, Heaven knows the amp and CD changer weigh in at over 50 pounds. In the 2.5 years of wonership and 20,000 miles I have driven, it has been on twice. The engine noise is THAT good.

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Well Mitch, the stereo in my F355 absolutely sucks. I have turned it on twice and turned it off in almost 2 minutes. I just wanted to hear what it sounded like and it is just about the worst car stereo I have ever heard. Not that it matters to me as I don't care about having a good stereo in my Ferrari. I have taken some long drives and never wanted to turn the radio on. At any rate, I am thinking of pulling the radio and installing a Valentine 1 remote display there. Well, I am actually thinking about the V1 and hardwiring it and keeping it above the rear view but if I can't do that, then I might pull the radio and do a remote display.