F1 Tranny tips | FerrariChat

F1 Tranny tips

Discussion in '360/430' started by udalmia, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. udalmia

udalmia Guest

hi guys
    im gonna be taking delivery on a 2004 360 spider f1 soon.. this will be my first experience with a f1 shift type car, any recommendations/tips to help towards long life of the transmission?

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In a nutshell: treat it like you're driving a manual where someone else is operating the clutch pedal for you, and you'll be fine.

Do NOT treat it like you're driving an automatic; I suspect many F1 users are people who can't drive a manual... don't understand what's going on... and expect to be able to drive it like an automatic. And the poor clutch doesn't respond well to being treated as if it was a viscous torque converter.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    well explained Brian!

Avoid prolonged slipping on hill starts etc.

Don't lift the throttle when shifting up, the computer takes care of that. Dont expext it to be like the F2004 Schuey drives.

On the road, they can be tedious around town, but get on an open road or race track and you'll love it.

4. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    also when you come to a light shift into neutral -use your breaks- i don't mind city traffic but on the open roads and the track it is a joy.you will enjoy-i don't regret one minute of owning an f1-i was a die hard stick shift guy.also drive the car-van

5. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    One more little thing. When you launch the car, try to commit on the amount of gas you apply. Sometimes, it is going to feel like you are applying to much gas and sometimes the car will start too slow. However, varying the amount of gas during the launch make things worst.

AW

6. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    and people wonder why i love the 6speed so much more :)

7. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    No one told me this before I bought my car but it has a little quirk where if your foot is not on the brake or gas for a few seconds it will beep and default
    into neutral. No big deal but I initially thought something was wrong with the
    transmission the first few times this happened. Like the other poster said
    when at a red light either keep it in neutral or keep your foot lightly on the brake.

Ben

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i know somebody in a technical capacity at ferrari. here's what he says about breaking in the F1 gearbox:

"Gearboxes, these on a race car are what are needed to be run in as they
    are tight and eat a lot of Power. You should do 500 miles and
    change gears as many times as possible, 1000's of times.

On a road car it does not really apply but again at 500 miles you could
    change the oil. This is never mentioned but in my opinion it is more
    crucial. When you drain oil in modern vehicles you rarely see metallic
    particles in engine oil but in gearboxes it is quite common. Gearboxes
    are not cooled as well as engines so the oil has to work much harder."