New Spyder GT | FerrariChat

New Spyder GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by scott61, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I have a new Maserati Spyder GT on the way and am glad I found this site as not much available yet for boards on new Maserati and have found these boards a great place for info on my past cars, Honda S2000, Boxster S, and M3 SMG Coup and hopefully a Ferrari in a couple years. My car will be Azzura blue with NAV, Skyhook, Heated seats, Upgrade stereo, Wind Stop, Red Brake, Xenon, and Alum pedals. Went with GT as while I found the SMG to be a great feature I missed the clutch and this car will not be my every day vehicle mainly just used for fun drives and I think you still need the clutch for that. Was told my car completed on Feb 9 and now just waiting to be shipped to New Jersey. I was told by my dealer that Ferrari handles the shipping of Maserati's and was wondering if anyone knows what port in Italy, and ships do they use to get them here?

2. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Welcome, Scott. Congrats on the Spyder GT purchase!

We're also Spyder owners, purchasing a Spyder Cambiocorsa last year. Since we bought ours used, I'm afraid that I won't be much help on delivery logistics.

I agree with you concerning the lack of a 'central' Maserati forum. The closest thing appears to the forum at Maserati's own site. Suprisingly, they don't perform *any* censorship on posts, even those expressing dissatisfaction with the cars. Admirable.

Is the blue you ordered the light blue metallic, perhaps called Agentina Azurro? If so, you will love that color - we have the light blue metallic and receive positive comments on nearly every outing with the car.

Take care and have fun with the Spyder!
    Brad

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Yes that is the color, Whe I was at the dealer they had a Ferrari in that color and I really liked it. After having Carbon Black on my M3 and finding it impossible to keep looking clean I wanted to go with something lighter this time. Not sure if you know of this forum http://www.maseratiforum.net/forum/
    I think it will be a good place once more people own new Maserati's but as of right now it's a pretty dead place. The other Forums I have found are mostly for older Maserati's and it seems its a real love hate relationship with those people and their cars. What year is your car? And how are you liking the Cambo shifting. That was the toughest part on ordering my car. I really thought the SMG was great on My M3, those lighting fast shifts and very easy to drive in traffic made it worth the $2400 BMW charged for it but in the end I figured I would save the over 4 grand and load up with other options on car. It seems the F1 style shift is definitely the future of sports cars, So figure I may as well drive one more car with a clutch pedal while they still have them.

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Hi Scott, welcome. I have a 2002 cambiocorsa coupe for just over a year now. Early iterations of the cambicorsa were a bit buggy/glitchy/jerky, however technical updates (provided under warranty) have significantly improved the system - these changes have been baked into the newer models. I now consider it a big selling point for the car though many will still prefer the manual. Anyway, I am a big fan of both the car and F1...

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Ours is a 2002. I don't believe it has any of the Cambiocorsa updates as yet, but haven't really detected the extremely rough shifting others complain about. In the spring, I'll have the dealer update the system and see if there's improvement.

Overall, I have just as much fun with the Cambio Spyder as I do with my 6-speed Corvette. It's a different experience, but just as much fun.

I do believe that as these F1 systems (software and actuation systems) become more mature, we'll see them completely replace automatic transmissions in most vehicles.

6. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I agree that they'll become predominant in performance vehicles, but I doubt that F1-style systems will completely replace automatic transmissions in most vehicles. CVT's are coming on strong, and will probably take the lower end of the sedan market, but the traditional auto still has lots of life in it for the upper reaches of the sedan and truck market. Remember when everyone was saying that the internal combustion engine was dead?

7. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    The reason I believe F1-style transmissions will succeed is due to much lower cost and complexity compared to conventional automatic transmissions. It definitely will take more time and experience to work out the fully Auto mode, but it will come.

That being said, I don't know much about the cost-benefits of CVT's.

8. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    For your information, Porsche will probably provide the new 911 with the Audi F1 gearbox (double-clutch)... I think auto gearboxes will desappear soon in the sport car segment.

9. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Good comments all.

Scott, sorry to hijack your thread. :)

Regardless of the transmission type, I wish you all the best with your Spyder. You selected a drop-dead gorgeous color. Be sure to slap a couple of coats of Zaino on that baby - the finish will look a mile deep.

If you have any questions about the Spyder, please don't hesitate to drop me a line!

Brad

PS: Do you live in Jersey or was that a reference to Maserati's US headquarters.

10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    No problem with the thread changing topic was a big part of my post anyway. After being on the M3 board for two years and the constant debate about SMG verses Traditional transmission am very use to it. It always seemed to turn in to a big argument of which was better and I always felt that was kind of dumb, As I feel each has some great points and some not so great points. Whether its the BMW or Maserati both are great cars with either transmission. For most buying the cambio transmission it is probably their first car with this new technology and if I had not just had the SMG I am very sure I would have ordered it. But like I said I think in the near future many cars will not even have a 3rd pedal as an option, I know BMW is thinking that way for future M cars, So I want to have one last shot with one. I live just North of Boston so my car will becoming into the New Jersey headquarters for final prep. Only thing to decide now is if I want dealer to install tubi before I pick up car, But am leaning towards driving the car a little first as I would like to hear what I am told is the amazing sound of the engine before I drown it out with new exhaust. The sound of my M3 was not to my likeing, Have read many who say it sounded like a out of control weed whacker and I have to agree with them. Even after putting on an aftermarket exhaust it sounded no better.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sorry to barge in, but this very evening, I was thinking about how Maserati is seemingly lacking in Forums, particularly in comparison to Ferrarichat - the world's largest (and best, dammit) such resource. Aside from the "official" Maserati forum, there is also a very good Maserati Yahoo group, which is quite active with 850 members at last count.

12. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I'd be interested in your thoughts of the Tubi should you go in that direction. The Spyder's a bit too quiet for my taste, but I haven't sprung for the relatively high-cost Tubi system.

My preference for a system is:
    - Good sound at idle
    - No resonance or droning at cruise
    - Adrenaline-pumping noise at full-tilt boogie

For the Corvette world, a company called Corsa created just such a system. Too bad I can't get them to make one for the lower-volume Maser owners. :(

Brad

13. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Thanks for dropping in. I am a member of the Yahoo listserv, but find that the messages about classic models dominate the discussions. That would be OK on a forum, but it's a bit tiring for a listserv.

I too wish we had the equivalent of a F-Chat, dedicated to Masers. Almost every Maser site aims at the classics...

14. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    That Yahoo forum was the first board I joined after ordering my car and almost canceled my order after reading many posts there. That forum is almost totally for older Maserati's and they sure have a love hate relationship with their cars, and you will get very little info on new Maserati from that board. Its almost like new and old maserati are two different companies and in a way I guess they are. Then I found http://www.maseratiforum.net/forum/ and while that board is just starting out, its geared towards the newer Maserati's.
    One thing I have learned from being on these boards over the years is that they sometimes can make you like your car a whole lot less as many are true enthusiast who will pick up on every little short coming of their cars.
    Another thing I find funny is that when I use spell check it does not recognize Maserati as a real word, But Ferrari, it does. I think we need to get Maserati back into circulation

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I do not have a spider but I do have an 03 coupe. I put a set of straight pipes from GHL on ot and it sounds amazing, much better than a stock 360. It is not that expensive and it really makes a huge difference.

16. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I almost forgot my original question of this thread, And that was about how Maserati ships car. After having this car on order for 3 months and doing endless research on it, I have run out of things to look up, So now find myself searching all the ports web sites around Modena and checking all the ships schedules for all ships headed for New York that my completed car might wind up on ( I really need to find a hobby). As Modena is not on the sea I figure they ship from either the port of Leghorn or Genoa. I think I read somewhere that they do not ship on car carriers, But that each Maserati is put into a box and shipped like regular cargo. Was told that it is Ferrari that is responsible for the shipping of Maserati's also, so I thought there must be some Ferrari owner that could give me some kind of info. Do they ever coming slumming to this part of the board? or do you think I should post this on the Ferrari topic?