my 355 spider was thrashed lastnight (UK) | FerrariChat

my 355 spider was thrashed lastnight (UK)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by chaa, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Comming backfrom Birmingham last night along the A38. Doing realy well,nothing comming near me...no problem. Come to a roundabout and there is a car behind me with small round lights,BMW i thought...no probs, i take of 2nd,3rd,4th, F**K me cant leave him,next roundabout and i try again down a very long duel carrage way, cant F**king do it,so i pull into the next lane at a very very good speed.Now lets see what hes got......MO FO!! its a black 550/575 Maranelo, NOOOOOOO!He breezes past me, tears in my eyes. Who was it?,i need to hit you,NOOOOOOO!!!!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ok at first you scared me..i thought some ***** had damaged your car !
    Well its pretty normal the Maranello beat you ! More torque and Hp !
    Im sure you had fun though !

3. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Are 575 (550)'s that much quicker ?

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I once had an encounter when I was driving my 328. I was accelerating hard away from a roundabout and a car overtook me like I was hardly moving. It was a McLaren F1!

I have never seen a car go like that.

Robert.

5. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    There was a great aritcle in Evo a few months ago where they went to collect the uk press cars from the factory and drive them home. Silver 360 and 575.

The 360 driver was keeping up until they got to about 180 then the 575 changed into top gear and just pulled off into the distance.

Both awesome cars though

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I drive a 360 spider on most days and i have to say the 355 performance is not far behind it, But the way that 550/575 coasted by me last night was very impresive.All i will say is that i was tramming,if you who read any of my posts regarding my TR ,will no i am not shy of speed.The 550/575 never left me like i was standing but it did leave me easly. When i got home i looked in me books for specs, 355=375 bhp at 3.5 litrs, 550/575=500 plus bhp,over 400 tork and with 5.5litrs, job done. Sometimes its good to expereance getting wipped by a faster car when you think you are in a fast one yourself.Boy them 550/575 bloody move, trust me.

7. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Nice to hear that someone was using their Ferrari like they should (including yourself chaa ;) )

8. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #8 360CS, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It's not just the number of pots, the engine bhp, size, torque are all more.

The 550/575 is a 200mph car while the 360 is arount 185mph. Don't know about the 355 by guess it's similar to the 360, at least 15mph off 550/575 top end

10. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I had a laugh the other day in my Audi RS6 when I was up the a*se of a guy ina DB7 Vantage from the lights right up to 120 when we had to back off. Imagine his face when he saw it was a mere estate car!

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Those RS6'S are mental......JRS took Ed and i out for small burn recently and the pace was indecent!
    T

12. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Sounds like everyone had a good time. Glad it didn't end in tears...

What happened sounds like what my friend Ben (TVR500 Griffith owner) would describe as a "lesson in torque". Bhp is just a function of crank-shaft speed and doesn't count for too much, IMHO. Torque is what matters and the 550s (is it 440ft/lb as standard?) over the 360s is no contest, when you can pretty much discount weight as an issue for Fcars on the straight, and in his case wind-resistance as he was behind you.... A 550 weighs how much more than a 360? Getting on for 300Kgs. It's 0-60 time is what, 0.3 seconds slower? Man, does that car have some torque!

Of course, the only real comparative test of a car is lap times around a race circuit, and here it would be a very different story I imagine, as dynamics would probably reverse things. I don't see 550s close up behind 360s too much at trackdays - although the race versions at Le Mans are rather different.

Anyway, I hope you keep it "rubber-side down" as the Silverstone racing instructors like to say.

James.

P.S. Yes I agree, those RS6 Audis have mental amounts of torque AND amazing dynamics. Just in case you want to do 170mph with all your kids and dogs in the boot....

13. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

I have to say driving a Ferrari is still an amazing experiance but driving the RS6 is just different class.

Now that i am up to 530BHP it is awsome. Coming back from Heathrow today the smile on my face just got bigger and bigger as my ' estate car ' broke the hearts of so many so called ' performance ' cars.

Cant wait for the arival of my Audi Quattro Le Mans. V10 620BHP.

Stewart