CTS-V series | FerrariChat

CTS-V series

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Teenferrarifan, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Today I road in a CTS-V the car is amazing. It was silver and you can only get it in silver and black. This car had the two tone silver and black interior. The thing was awesome with over 400hp and the Z06 engine barely fits in the car. The brakes are awesome looking brembo's as are the wheels and the front grille and lip spoiler really set the car off from the normal CTS. Having been in the new M3 and now being in this car I can say that for 49k I would love the thing. The extra two doors really make this a family hauler if you have small kids or don't mind being a little tight in the back seat. I didn't drive it but my Dad did and he said driving the car felt very solid and fluid like all the components were working together and not just thrown together at the last minute. I was impressed, but don't worry guys you won't see my dad trading in his XLR for this anytime soon.
    Erik

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    seems excellent to me too but car and driver had problems with one they tested this month so jury is still out.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I try really hard to have an open mind about things, but I'm really having a hard time taking Cadillac seriously. I was in a regular CTS and don't remember being too impressed with the interior design or quality. Now they shoved a huge motor and 6 speed in it and raised the price, and it looks like from the pictures left the interior alone. Whooopee.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I didn't know that was out yet.It's a step in the right direction.The seats look like they have good bolstering which I prefer.Guages are pretty nice looking as well.I think they worked on handling as well.That being said I'm 25 not the caddy target demographic.At least their trying these days.

5. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

So the M3 or M5 is not your demogaphic either? Because thats the market its going for.

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think what he means is that Caddy still has the reputation of being an older mans car, and that no matter how hard they try to taget younger buyers, they will always have the reputation of being old peoples' cars. How often do you see someone younger than 50 in a cadillac (escallade and SRX dont count, i mean sedans)? Not often

7. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I dunno, I'm 33 and I'm toying with the idea of using my GM dealership employee discount and buying one for myself. Of course, I'd have to give the BMW to the wife, but, what the hell. 400 HP!!!!!!!!

Caddy has definitely come around lately.

Dave

8. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I know the V series is targeted against the M3 and M5 both cars I would never buy myself.It's interesting how my car wants have changed within even the last year.What's frustrating to me is if the 240HP solstice was out right now I'd probably have one.I'm starting to find that HP doesn't mean as much to me as it use too.I still want decent power but would settle if the car had very good handling.I'm really starting to find the boxster appealing.Obviously used.The engine has that exotic sound to it,the engine is right behind you.Should handle quite well and has timeless good looks.But it is a little underpowered.Reliability concerns are also a issue.It's ironic that i was the biggest porsche hater around.Damn that CGT siren song of a engine note.I know I'd have a blast with a S2000 but the looks are a little bland and it's just a honda.Or so people will say.Maybe I'll wait a year and save for when I have a clearing understanding of what i want.

9. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm kinda the same way. When I was younger and into Muscle cars, I was programmed that 4 doors = CRAP! Now that I'm a little older, I guess I've become a little more practical. ;) BMW introduced me to the sport sedan class of cars and I haven't looked back. (Unfortunately, Chris Bangle has driven me away from BMW, but that's anither thread! LOL!) Now it's not so much about the HP for me either. That's why I bought the 530i instead of the 540i. But then Caddy brings 400 ponies to the CTS. Well that just means I can have my cake and eat it too! :)

BTW, I got to "play" with an '04 CTS sport at a recent GM training class, and I must say that I was impressed. 255HP rear, rear wheel drive,DVD nav,"17's. It was a pretty sweet ride!

Dave

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The interior is not that great, but it isn't on any cadillac for that matter. I mean my dad's XLR interior is far from what his CL500 interior is. GM lacks the ability to make a good interior IMHO. Just look at the corvette the C5 interior has more plastic then a chevy malibu. But, the powertrain is there on this car. I am not sure whether I would buy it over an M3, but if I needed the extra doors I would. Over an M5 no, but that car was 30k more new. I would buy it over a C32 or 36 whatever they are calling the amg c-class now.
    Erik

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 96impalaSS, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    IMO this car is what the new generation Impala SS shouldve been. Using the LS6 as the engine in this car is going to make this car fast. All the SSs before this one had beefy V-8s 427s, 454, or the B-Bodies having LT1s in them. I think this car is going to give the Euro Sedans (almost competing with the likes of Audi's RS6 and Merc's S 65 AMG or CL 65 AMG) a run for there money. Its got power, Luxury, handling, styling, and a 6 speed manual tranny as well. Hopefully this car, as well as the XLR, show whats to come from Cadilac performance wise. They could just use there own Northstar engines and produce plenty of power like that. A strong company, with a strong heritage.

I let the pics speak for the rest.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I truly hope this car is all it's cracked up to be. I would love to see an American manufacturer make a $50K M5, and have it succeed wildly in the marketplace.

I plan to wait a year, for all the entry glitches to work out, and than am likely to order one myself.

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I have not had a V for an extended run yet but in hopping around at an event with one It is a MAJOR leap from the CTS. That being said for the 50k I would still look for the S4 with 6 speed.,... There is one in my parking spot right now..
    the CTS (orig trim) was underpowered but still the best Caddie product they had ever put on the road. The Wedgie design turned off a lot of traditional Cadillac buyers but that was not the intended market....

14. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I am glad to see these type of products coming out of American manufacturers. While I would not get the CTS-V over the M5, I still desperately want to try one out and asee how it drives. I think Cadillac is doing a great job of reinventing itself with the XLR, SRX, and the V spec series.

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree that this is a step in the right direction from what I understand over the next few years a v model will be available for every cadillac model. The XLR-v is supposed to be a supercharged northstar coming out in the next 18 months. From what the dealer has told my dad. I can't wait to see an XLR that can compete with SL55 AMG for 20k less about 100k for the XLR-v. I am up for it.
    Erik

16. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    The supercharged Northstar is likely for the XLR-V, but a V-12 is also a possibility. There are Escalade mules running around with this engine already.

Should be interesting once the new engine plant (GM Performance Build Center) comes online in 2005.

17. benjet

benjet Formula 3

Jan 14, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Lobenstein
    Just FYI I've had this baby <1 month with over 2k miles on it so far. FUN FUN FUN.

-Ben

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My step dad is going to go check one out tomorow. God I hope he gets it, Id rather have this than a C6.

19. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Follow up to my other post in this section:

Funny that this thread should be ressurected right now. I saw one on the road for the first time over the weekend. Wow! If ever there was a car that could change my mind about Caddys - this could be the one.......It looked VERY nice in person, and the sound that came out of it was amazing. Hmmmmmm.....