I like the Bahrain track! | FerrariChat

I like the Bahrain track!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Drove the track on my sim. It is only a beta version at this point, but gave me a good first impression on what it is going to be like. I'd say about two to three realistic passing opportunities.

Very technical through all the S bends, but has a nice flow to it, not like Magny Cours. It reminds me a bit of the old GP track in Rio (Jacarepagua).

Together with the architects renderings I've seen, I have the feeling, this track has the potential for a great new venue.

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Has anyone else heard that the track was built by the Bin Laden Construction Co. (Osama's father)? It was mentioned in F1 Racing magazine about 2 years ago.

Tom

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Didn't hear that per se, but it is quite possible. The Bin Laden family is a huge construction company in the Middle East and has built lots of buildings and infrastructure. That's how they made their money. Osama is just the black sheep of the family.

The attack on the Twin Towers was no coincidence: He knows a good deal about buildings, their strengths and weaknesses. And I would assume he knew that the WTC was a particularly 'soft' target the way it was built.

4. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    well they've shown the ferrari can beat a jet fighter wonder how it will stand up to a sidewinder missile. i just wonder who will be brave enough to go to this venue. the cost of transportation from the states is monsterous. perhaps if they GAVE the tickets away they might fill the place. well i guess we'll see in a few months.

5. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    what sim was this that you got to drive the track? i'd love to take a gander at it myself.

i was always curious about how popular the sport was in the middle east. i know there is money out there, but i had no idea there were so many interested in F1. do they have estimates as to the crowd size they're expecting?

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If it weren't for the long travel and costs I'd go there in a heartbeat. I have no worries about security. Well some, but I have those at any big venue. The point about terrorism is, that it can happen anywhere anytime.

From all I've heard about the Arab region I would think F1 is big there in the sense that it represents Western luxury lifestyle. And those guys have the $$$ to buy the tickets.

I found the track for Grand Prix 3. It is very accurate in the layout. It is missing the elevation changes and the scenery. It is still Beta, so eventually that will all get fixed. Let me know if you need a pointer to where I found it.

7. romeoturk

romeoturk Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MTL/BRN/Istanbul
    Don't want to sound big headed but the track is literally 10mins from my house.. (and thats cause my house is in the middle of no where basically

Its really weird, i never realized the signifcance of it till today.. i got my ticket and im going.. i never had the chance to see a F1 race live so it should be a good experince...

About the Bin Laden construction, i think its possible.. In fact there is a huge consortium of arab construction companies (G.P zachriades, Salahuddin construction etc)

My friends dad works for Standard Charted who loaned a vast amount of money for the construction. Therefore he has the $10,000 VIP tickets (thats the price for the whole box, where u can stuff as many people as u like in, with full buffet, drinks all the pampering ) hopefully i can get my ass up in that box. It'll be tough tho...About security this place is safer than most of the US and EUrope.. Crime is almost unheard of and there is a vast US naval presence on the island..Security will be extremely tight to..

Oh well on 04/04/04 ill get you guys the insiders view cause ill have my camera with me.. Should be great cant wait!

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, good for you romeoturk. Make sure you post a bunch of pictures on here. The VIP skybox makes me turn green with envy, you lucky guy.

If it is not asking too much: Could you please shoot a 360 degree panorama from a higher elevation near where you live? I could use those pictures to replace the current horizon shots of the Bahrain track in the game. Currently it has France in the background, doesn't look right somehow...
    :)

9. romeoturk

romeoturk Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MTL/BRN/Istanbul
    sorry for the late reply.. i missed your post

WHen i get some free time soon, i'll be sure to go out a take some good pics for you...

Anything u want specfically?

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tifosi do you use the keyboard, a gamepad, or wheel. Also what brand of one do you use. (whichever object you use that is) Im still stuck with the keyboard but I had the 360 wheel and pedals for my PS2 for my 355 challenge game. that was pretty cool.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Here a pic of my sim. That's actually Gilles27 driving. Momo steering wheel and pedals with FF. Stereo surround sound, LCD projector, infrared keyboard just for setup changes. GrandPrix3 and GrandPrix4 on PC basis.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for getting back. What I need is really just a continuous horizon shot all around (360 degrees). Ideally taken from some elevation (top of a building) to not have too many objects (cars, houses, buildings, bushes) in the foreground.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jesus Cracker thats aweasome. better than anyhting Ive seen at a arcade pretty much. With one exception I played a Indy car game at the mall In Indianapolis one time and you had to get tickets for it and wait for hte times that it started and it was incredibly realistic you had to put a seatbelt on if I remember correctly. You got in this Big indy car shell and buckeled up and it had the Paddle shifters and realistic Indy style wheel and every time you would turn the whole shell of the car would shift and put Gs on your body and it would shift up and down for wrecks or changes in accelration. and bounce around at the different speeds. And just go all crazy when you wrecked. Excelent Simulator really gave you the feeling you were driving it. Best part was it had 3 other cars lined up so you could race against other people.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks. I've been in a similar sim as you describe it for NASCAR. Hydraulics simulated the rattle and roll and three (!!!) projection screens made the outside come to life. Huge Bose speakers inside the cockpit did the rest. But it was still Nascar...

BTW: The nose cone on my car is from a real Indycar. Carbonfibre and all. The rest is homemade. Since it has to fit into my apartment it is not to scale. One sidepod hides the PC the other the sound system.

I used to have special speakers screwed directly to the seat to give you the vibrations when going over the kerbs etc, but they blew out the amplifier and they were more of a gimmick: Once you get into the game, you don't really feel anything anymore. You're in the zone...

I used to have seatbelts as well, but again, more of a gimmick and they got tedious for getting in and out of the car. After all during a F1 season I'm in the car on an almost daily basis.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I'm not worthy.... I'm not worthy...... Holy Crapinapples I bet there are some well monied folk 'round this board who would pay some of that well money to you to do this for them.....

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Some people have indeed suggested that to me already. And I could probably come up with a nice new one, now that I've learned a few things along the way. The pictures is of version 5, so yes, there were 4 previous incarnations, that improved over time.

So, ok, make me an offer! But I won't quit my daytime job yet.