Interesting, necessary features in a family home | FerrariChat

Interesting, necessary features in a family home

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tvrfreak, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Following on from the previous thread, list your favourite features in a dream home, as well as those you think are absolute must-haves. Here's some of mine:

Luxury features:
    -----------------
    Jacuzzi on a deck with views.
    Infinity pool with wave machine and waterfall.
    Gazebo.
    Greenhouse.
    Sunroom, or deck that can be converted into sunroom in the winter.
    Barbecue pit.
    Poolhouse with home theatre.
    Courtyard surrounded with accordion doors so you can swing/fold them out of the way.
    "Party room" next to pool area for entertaining (with bar).
    Game room with big screen, buffet counter.
    Lots of balconies.
    Mud room between garage and house (with shower) so you can remove dirty clothes/shoes.
    A gym attached to the master bedroom, not hidden away in the basement.

Flowing creek on the property and a rope/swing over the creek, and hidden outdoor speakers.

Detached garage with covered/glassed-enclosed walkway.
    Large garage with lift, workshop, huge counter, tons of storage, and a glass wall facing the house so you can see your cars and bikes.
    Portico.
    A long hallway or large wall--just for displaying huge art/sculpture.

The funkiest thing I have seen was a private chapel and bell tower in a mansion built in the thirties.

Skylinghts or sun-tunnels or fiberoptic mood panel in ceiling.

Necessities:
    ------------
    4 bedrooms minimum (kids, study, master).
    Nice floorplan with sunny kitchen that sort of flows into family room.

2. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Ocean view, direct beach access.
    12 Seat THX Certified movie theater.
    Wine cellar for 2000 bottles w/tasting area.
    4 car garage with workshop.

3. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Ah yes, forgot about the wine cellar!

For home movie theatre seating, what do you think of the L-shaped sofas where one side is basically a fairly large bed?

Also,
    Fireplace in bedroom.
    TVs hidden behind mirrors/paintings.
    Kitchen island with built-in sink.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Cool thread... i'd have to say just about everything you listed above plus these:
    Indoor, full court basketball court (basement, REALLY high ceiling)...
    Recording studio - with EVERY kind of modern, up-to-date piece of equipment (i'll also need someone to operate all of those gizmos)...
    Model room; more of an entire floor, really, but you get the idea...
    Drawing room, complete with drafting table and every art tool imagineable...
    Beverage & Snack Room; another one that's more of an entire floor, but this has to have EVERYTHING; every kind of soda, beer, wine, liquor and snack imagineable... From mint M&Ms to tofu rice cakes... Gotta have it all... i'm sure i could think of more, but i'll leave it at this for now... :)

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Drawing/drafting room - awesome idea. One of our friends in Maryland built a custom home and they have a craft room complete with a pottery kiln. Very nice.

Also remembered glass surfaces that changes the tint/reflective level due to some liquid inside that changes its opacity when you apply an electric current. I would have lots of windows with this.

Entire floor for soda/snack/liquor? I don't get that one...kitchen, wine cellar, party room, bar on deck should serve the same purpose, no?

Oh, one thing I have noticed in high-end homes lately...you know how conventional closets have a rod for hanging things on and then typically a shelf above--where you put things and forget about them because you can't see or reach them? Now they have moved the rods way up to the top so you can fit entire chests of drawers/shelves underneath. They are mounted on vertical rods that are hinged at the bottom, so you can pull and rotate the whole assembly down and then push it back up out of the way. The clothes hang higher, almost up at the 8 or 10 foot ceiling height, but they are easily accessible. Think of a suitcase handle or a boat throttle. Really nifty, and efficient.

6. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

NNO,
    To avoid the high basement you only need to step down the sports court aoubt 2'-3'. You then step up the den or spare beds in the section of the home above it. It's much cheaper to raise the main level than it is to have a 15'-19' tall basement. I've done a few of these.

When you build yours be sure and have an entirely seperate foundation drainage system for the sports court.

When your too old to use the B Ball court you can park your NNO in there and view it from the basement family room.

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Also went to a really fancy house and saw a HUGE chandelier suspended with motorized cables so it can be lowered for cleaning/changing the bulbs. Very smart.

And have you guys seen the latest soft-touch drawers? You just push them gently and they come to a stop about half an inch out and then slowly close all the way. Like the RR Phantom's doors. It's not something I care to spend extra on as I can close drawers on my own, but neat. And safe for kids too.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Faisal, this would be for entertaining/party purposes... If someone has a whim for Pez or original Oreos or WHATEVER - i want it to be available... Sort of like a supermarket right in the house... :)

isell - LOL...! Not a bad idea... i would need an easy way to get it out though as it would be driven on a daily basis...

9. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    NNO, I get it...a sort of ultimate pantry! :)

Isellpower, have you ever put in a turntable so a homeowner can rotate his car inside the garage? And what about an automatic car wash? I really hate washing cars.

10. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I want this house. It has everything I dream of in a home.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What is that, um, "thing" that appears to be somehow suspended in mid air right over the balcony...?

Looks like something the dog would walk out of your bedroom with, in his mouth, while you're entertaining a bunch of guests...

12. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    LOL!

It's a patio umbrella that's folded down.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Are you sure...? i ain't never seen no umbrella like that before...

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I am with NNO on this one...looks like the residence of a "deeply satisfied" Amazon!

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

16. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    All these listed are nice, but what I would pay extra is a lot of behind the wall shelves to organize 2,000 books, 400 DVD, 700 video (this can be transferred to DVD in near future to keep its quality), and 500 CD/Cassettes, which are increasing as day goes by. Behind the wall shelves are not cabinets, but you push certain part of the wall, they would just pop out. I've seen these in som Japanese, Italian, and California house before.

This way, your walls are bare and can be decorated, instead of books, vedeos, etc.

Do any of you know who makes these organizers, I would appreciate info, too.

Thank you.

17. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Windowless room for sexual escapades

18. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    TigerAce,
    interesting...I don't understand how they "pop out." Do they rotate? If so, then you'd be limited to the size of the panel for your artwork, or it would interfere with the rotation.

Or do you mean they go in length-wise (ie. very deep) into a wall, and roll/slide out at the push of a button, sort of forming a new wall?

For your media storage, I would suggest converting it all into digital format and storing it on huge hard disks and cd/dvd carousels in a "media server" closet or some out of the way place. This way, it's available to you anywhere in the house or around the world. And you don't have any storage issues. Movies, songs, pics, even album cover art...everything! And with the right software that cycles through the media and renders it on chosen screens or plays it on chosen speakers, you will see and hear it much more than if it was hidden away on some shelves. Also, once digitized, the quality of the media won't degrade over time. Just make sure you save your back-up.

It will take some effort to convert the format (hire some college kids), but otherwise it's dead easy and cheap to do this.

2,000 books -- wow!! I love filled bookshelves and I think your books would make a nice display, but I can understand how you'd want them out of the way if you have been looking at them for some time.

19. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    tvrFreak,
    I've seen 2 types of them. One pops out in length (side way) which I really don't care for, as it will require open space. But looks cool (thinks of Bruce Almighty's file cabinet drawer!)

Another one is the door opens like some kitchen cabinet, and behind the door is all shelves, which I want.

Either way, the wall looks like panels, and walls looks cool.

I just noticed what I admire in those house magazine photos is the plain, simple, almost empty look like a model house. Having 4 kids, things are scattered all over my house, and I really can't comprehend the fact that how things look disorganized in 4,500 sq ft. I once interviewed pro decorater, but she said that I have too much staff inside the house to make the inside a house open look.

I agree I should degitized all my analog collection, which I intend to do as I purchased DVD recorder, but I haven't opened the box yet. I promised to pay my kids do the conversion. I need to read instruction book to make sure what I want to do is possible & done right.

Thanks for your suggestion on media storage! Media server closet idea is very interesting. I didn't even think of that.

20. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Luxury items: Everything perviously mentioned plus an extra hidden bedroom/playroom) for naughtytime that guests/family never see. You don't really want them to know how sick and twisted you are do you?;)

Necessities: You guys have mentioned most of them, the only ones I could add are:

1) a projected cookbook. Mounts under countertop and shoots the recipe onto the countertop, usually laser so that no matter what the surface the recipe is easily legible. Handy if you like to cook.

2) Walk in humidor. I know it's not a necessity for everyone, but it is for me. :)

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Blah blah blah. All I want is a 4 car garage. :)

22. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    2nd floor made of glass over the party room. Novel idea ? Great to see the
    ladies in a mini-skirt get their drinks. There is a socialite in Houston that has one of these setups.

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Paul Frame and his infamous "furry" parties?

***EDIT***

Okay, that's not exactly fair as we don't know if those really happened or not.

24. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Big garage, nice lift, all snap-on, craftsman, and matco tools, in triplicate (with extra 1/2" wrenchs). Full kitchen and bath in garage. Possibly a house nearby.

25. Onlinesys

Onlinesys Formula Junior

May 1, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I think you need at least a few maids/helpers and a caretaker to take good care and tidy up the place.

Cheers,