Amex Black Card. Info Please | FerrariChat

Amex Black Card. Info Please

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by DrStranglove, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Saw this in another thread and have some questions about it. I spend at least $10,000.00 a month with this company!!!!

DrS

PS Like the hook!!!???

2. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Centurion Card "The Black Card"

Spending another $90K per month for at least one year will get you an invitation. As for the benifits, not much different from Plat AMEX. Same basic stuff, example being, no charge companion business class ticket with plat., first class on Centurion Card. PTS and CTS travel service seems to be the same. Basicly this is just a status thing.

3. sirsomo

sirsomo Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta/Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Its called the Centurion card. I am pretty sure it is invitation only, based on your charges. I think the benefits are similar to the Platinum Card, but you recieve preferential status with airlines and a few other things. I guess you are either going to have to get a Platinum card or start spending a lot more. I have a family member with one and I seem to remember him saying he chargess about 250k a year.

4. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
  5. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    $90k per month????? Damn, you sure??? Who in the world does that????

DrS

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    The Platinum card and Centurion card can actually pay for themselves. For instance, the Platinum card has an annual fee of $300. If you travel frequently, the free access to airline clubs and free car rental insurance are worth more than $300.

If you need to arrange just one event for 50+ people, the services provided by the Centurion card are worth far more than the annual fee of $2,500. You can spend hours chasing loose ends on your own, and if you have this card, those hours are probably worth a lot more than the annual fee. And you are definitely put behind the scenes or on the inside track if the Centurion folks arrange something for you. The experiences are always made extra-special.

Platinum's concierge service sucks. Centurion's is simply world-class awesome. But American Express gets to choose who to "bestow" the Centurion card on.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you can call up amex and ask to get the black card. it's not as exclusive as they make it out to be. i know a few folks who were not invited, but called up and asked and got it.

doody.

8. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    There is no set dollar amount I have been able to identify from AX, but the people who have one seem to charge at this level. This card is for people who entertain and travel. Keep in mind that there are people (usually execs and clebs) that spend $2,000 to $4,000 per night for hotel rooms. A fill up on the Gulfstream in Aspen ran about $ 11,275 (2,900 gal. + fees and catering) last time. Things like this add up.

9. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    I thought it was a minimum of 50k a month? Probably more toward very high (something my wife could soend a month if I let her) monthly bills over and over and over again.

10. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #10 DrStranglove, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well the forbs site says you need to spend about $150,000 a year so I am close. Heck the extra $30k would not kill me. I may have to give this a try!!!! Any other info and wnay one who has one would be nice!!!!!

And now for the boobies!!!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I will say that Centurion can get you a table for dinner just about anywhere. ;)

12. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Does the storm trooper have one? If so, that is a definite perk.

13. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Hey!!! That's me!!!!

Oh, and I just noticed that even though I changed the title to the thread, the change does not show up on the main page!!! Damn!!! Is this a bug????

DrS

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

http://www.flyertalk.com/travelfr.shtml

Scroll down to the AMEX forum at this site........there are more Black Card holders here than anywhere else I would imagine and a wealth of information..

15. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    My father had one back in the late 80's early 90's. I asked him about the perks and he didnt remember all of them because he never used them. I still have his old card somewhere.

16. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    When I used to travel a lot, I found the Platinum Card well worth the money. I particularly liked the 24 hour travel service. When we used their services (like travelling in Europe), I really liked them. Some of the services, like actually having lists of places (hotels, etc) in different cities, weren't really advertised but we found quite useful. And, I do not recall ever getting a bad recommendation from them.

By the way, the annual fee went up about two years ago. I think that it's $395/yr now, up from the previous $300/yr.

The Black card is way beyond what I put on my AmExp card -- way beyond.

17. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Dr. S,
    Black card was made for exclusivity just like when Gold card was created. I don't know it's still invitation only as Doody posted otherwise.
    It cost few thousands for annual membership, and really don't have much edge for daily life. If you spent high dollars on traveling, shopping at expensive stores, you do get treated differently at the first time, but then w/out black card, you will be treated differently later anyway if you are high roller, right?

It's for the people who regards $1,000 as $100.

18. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I didn't think they came out until 1999.

19. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    As far as I remember, the Black Card isn't something that you could apply for. I think that it just comes to you in the mail if you are "worthy." What I do know is that I am definitely NOT "worthy!"

20. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
  21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if you have to ask.......

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dr.S

I have been invited, turned it down. Am PMing you with info you can use.

--Dan

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I have a business Platinum Card, the only thing I have to say about it is: when you whip out a Platinum Amex, MOST people tend to look at you differently. I don't know, I think the whole Amex experience is a joke quite honestly, I have them only for business reasons but I have 2, the Platinum and a personal one. I think it is a little Communist actually. Paying for the PRIVELAGE of spending your own money !! Seems a little whack to me. Every year when I get the bill with the annual fee I say I am going to cancel but I never do. The credit card industry has become so competitive nowadays that I really see NO REASON, other than EGO, to be carrying an Amex, especially since their processing fees to merchants are much higher than MC/VISA and consequently, many merchants do not accept it.

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

Amex is a convenience or charge card, not a credit card. I find it hugely amusing, like you, that you need to pay for the privelage of spending your money. And, AMEX had a hard time convincing merchants to use their cards do to the higher processing fees. If you look, NM (or bloomingdales) or some such used to have AMEX exclusively, reason being that they went in there and said hey, we'll charge you next to zilch, but you absolutely have to use our card exclusively. Adds to the "need" for having a card from the right demographics.

It seems that in 1958, it was indeed a luxury to have a universal charge card, as such a thing didn't exist. Not now.

If you're looking for some jibing of AMEX, read the chapter in Michael Lewis' "The Money Culture" dedicated to said topic. Amusing stuff (the book and chapter).

Also, little known fact: the first AMEX card was purple. Not Green.

--Dan

25. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yes, if you use it to for the privilege of spending your own money, it's a laughable concept. But if you travel a lot or avail yourself of some of their other benefits, it can more than pay for itself.

Apart from the free rental-car insurance and and airline lounges that I take advantage of (a lot), wifey and I got upgraded to a first-floor suite with a beach view at the Moana Surfrider Sheraton in Hawaii, after paying for a regular room overlooking the street. We also got 2 nights free. Things like this happen at least once every three months.