What model should Ferrari #2 be? | FerrariChat

What model should Ferrari #2 be?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tifosi69, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Guys, I am currently contemplating Ferrari #2, I will NEVER sell my first, even my non gear-head wife agrees with me there. Nevertheless, here are the 3 models I am debating:

F355B
    Testarossa
    512 TR

I would love if owners of each model, preferably those that have owned at least 2 of the 3 could give me some guidance. I have a friend with a 92 512TR that cannot sing the praises enough, especially in comparison to a MERE testarossa, JK !!! I also have a friend with a F355B and he loves it, although he is selling it because he also has a 550 and a 512M.

I have been in LOVE/LUST with the testarossa design since it's intro in 1984 and find myself wondering if the perfomance upgrades in the 512TR are worth the price differential or are there merely academic considering I drive my TOYS very little, and the 512TR and the testarossa are similar enough aesthetically. I really love the flat 12 F1 derived engine.

Now, on the other hand, the F355 is a bad-ass mo' fo' and I love the shriek of that 8 cylinder, especially with a tubi. Sounds very much like the current F1 cars. I AM NOT LOOKING AT THIS FROM AN INVESTMENT PERSPECTIVE ! I know both testarossa and 355 values have plumetted. I am merely asking for my fchat bretheren to give me INFORMED (through experience) opinions on which I would be happier with. Let me give you a little more food for thought:

**I will drive either car less than 5000 miles in a year
    **I love the styling of both, perhaps the testa 30% more than the 355
    **I am slightly concerned with the flat 12 cylinder horror stories I have read here at times, although neither of my friends have experienced any horrors
    ** I would love to hear from owners of both testarossa AND 512TR to experience subtle, or otherwise differences

I am slighly stumped. Does price play a consideration? YES, but I am also looking at long-term cost of ownership VS. enjoyment as well. I have had ZERO problems (I better find some wood to knock on) with my Ferrari currently and it has delivered me far more thrills than its cost of admission.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Go for the 512 TR. That car seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Plus, there aren't that many out here because the factory production was down in those days compared to now.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is your answer! Go with your heart!

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I agree. Although I love my F355 dearly and will not give it up for another Ferrari (well, maybe and F40 but that's it), if the TR is your love, you have to get it. I would go for a 512 TR over a Testarossa, although if you do get a Testarossa, get a 88 1/2 and later. It's hard to beat the F355 for the sound and thrill, though.

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Well I don't own a Ferrari but If I was you , I would get myself a 512 TR.
    Its simply gorgeous!!

Now what about the Testarossa

Sure the TR are less expensive but you just look in what they improved with the new 512 TR..
    -The chassis featured increased in torsional rigidity,
    -You get more hp ,
    -Strengthened block,
    -Revised valves
    -New door inserts
    -New intake system that ingeniously changed the intake of air
    etc...

6. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    tifosi69,
    I am in similar situation, too. I am considering 360 or 512M. I have 328GTS, so I am tilting toward 12 cylinder for next one. Don't you like 512M?

Your thread is interesting to me as what information will be gathered.

Yoshi Ace

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    forget testarossa, get the 512TR, I LOVE the 355, but the TR is definitely rarer and cooler to be honest, its the 12 flagship, the 355 is a mass produced Fcar, so if your going to have to service it a lot, maybe THEN the 355 (as in drive it tons), otherwise, go for the 512, ask william how to make it sound good and be fast:)

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    My doctor buddy has a 512M he got less than a year ago. He seems to really like it from what I have gathered, he also owned a 512TR previously. The 512M has some nice styling cues I like, such as the NACA ducts on the hood, kind of like the 328 style tailights, but I DO NOT like the wheels. I guess it's a good trade-off for the exclusivity, I believe there were only 75 512Ms made EVER. My friend has purchased some Koenig ECU and exhaust goodies for his.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Hmm, I could be wrong but I thought that 500 512M's were made and only 75 came to the US. I could be wrong. BTW, tell your doctor friend if he sells his 355 without the test pipes, I might be interested in taking them off his hands.

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    My bad sherpa, that's what I meant.

11. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Yes, the TR is a good mechanical and structural development of the original Testarossa but, but... the aesthetics are already compromised, as they would be again, and again for the worse (wheels, rear treatment) in the final M version -even though the latter shows a final burst of mechanical betterment.

In the TR, because the engine was lowered to improve gravity, the engine cowling is reduced to a red metal plate barely hovering above the rear vents. In addition, it's colour-keyed with those vents. The original, and much more striking rear note of the Testarossa was the raised cowling which appeared to float over the vents and was further contrasted by being red against black. As if to emphasize the drama surrounding the engine bay, two black ventilation strips bracket the area on the fins set either side of the rear window. These strips are lost in the TR and M, the flying buttresses being thinned out.

The Testarossa's original rear treatment offers a muscular, tonal accent, a dramatic emphasis. This emphasis is carried to the front, to the broad ventilation grills. The subsquent cars, with their rounded and softened grills, reduce the car from a slightly menacing vehicle to something a little too dainty.

Luckily Ferrari did not tamper too much with the original design in the manner say, of Lamborghini who jettisoned the extraordinary early fluidity of the Countach by adding wings, striates and skirts galore. But improved aesthetics? IMHO, more a sideways development.

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I agree with a lot of your points, but I look my friends 512TR ove and like the front fascia BETTER than the original TR, but DO like the rear decklid treatment of the original TR BETTER than the 512TR, as you do. Hence, you see my problem. I then consider that 428hp is better than 390hp but I am NOT going to track it, so should I care?

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Yes, always care about HP, and if you can increase it:) furthermore, the interior on the TR is a lot nicer, IMHO. The M would be best, but i hate its looks, just that its the most sophisticated, and the interior along with engine and chassis are probably as good as they can be...never been in one, but i HATE the rear lights, and the head lights...UGH!

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Since you already own a V8 (328) Ferrari, I would highly recommend a buying a flat 12 to compliment it.

A 512TR would be the way to go with the choices that you listed. Far better than a regular Testarossa.

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Gary, I'm tending to float on over to that philosophy as well, have a V12 and V8, but curious, why 512 over regular TR? Then, on some days I FLAT out say to myself: the F355b with a challenge grill, tubi, new straight pipe and new ECU is too cool for school. Ever heard one under hard accelleration going through a tunnel? I am still STUMPED !!

16. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Alphonse,
    First of all this is a great dilemma you have trying to decide on a 2nd Ferrari.
    I just went through a similar experience after selling my 348. If I had the cash get the 512TR. I bought a '91 TR since, I could not part with $100K, but the '91 TR I bought is a great car and a completely different experience than a V8. For your info. in pricing TRs my TR was listed at $80K, but I was able to get it for $70. It has 14,600 miles, 15K engine out done 1.5 months ago, special exhaust, 2 new tires and runs perfect. It also has records back to late 1991, tool kit, books, leather case for books and the original Ferrari box and wrapping paper for the leather case.

Anyway get the 512TR or a 91-90 TR there great cars. I forgot engine out costs. This depends where you have your car serviced, but the cost here in Colorado is around $6k, which is just about what my 348 cost was. Good luck.
    Keep in the fast lane,
    Jim

17. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    You already have a V8, so go with one of the 12's. Drive e few of each, you will know which one is for you.

Rick

18. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Thanks Jim, I appreciate the advice. So, you like the hallowed V12 experience? Any drawbacks so far?

19. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    What year is your beloved 328?
    I'd be tempted to get a Testarossa from the same year; and then with the money saved vs. a 512TR, you can save up to get a 4-seater (Mondial, 400i, or 412i) from the same year for when you need 4-seats. And then you'll have a whole Ferrari line-up for that year! ;) That'd be cool. :cool:

20. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Since your seeking to add to your stable and already have an 8 cyl..,
    The natural progression it would seem would be a 12 cyl.. I don't
    have either yet and my first will be a 355 6sp. I'm in absolute Heaven
    right now because it's not the money issue as the market on this
    model is near my target. $ 65-75K, another 10-15K to deal with
    issues (more if needed). 100K(-) Then in another year (no more than two),
    add a 12 cyl. 550 6sp, same scenario.
    BUT, having both the 328 and a 355 in the stable could by no means
    be a bad thing though… IMO.

Chuck

21. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I like the 512TR much better than a Testarossa because I think that it's a far superior car in both looks and performance. It has better brakes, handling, styling and horsepower (421).

But, on the down side (as others have mentioned), it's a lot more $$ than a regular TR... as much as $25-$50K more, depending on the TR year.

I was seriously looking to buy a 512TR last October, but couldn't find the "right one at the right price", and I ended up doing a complete 180 degree change of mind and went for a classic BB512i instead.

22. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I agree, I think that perhaps 2 V8's would be a bit redundant though.

23. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Agree 100 % :)
    But first you have to try a 355 6-speed on the road (& track).
    If you still prefer a 512 TR, it's all right.

12-Zylinder: Testarossa, 512 TR, 512M
    If performance is not so important but styling and price matters, you can take
    the early Testarossa with one mirror and central lock wheels.
    (It doesn't need a 512 TR to drive 55).

forza

cinquevalvole

24. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ciao tifosi69,
    The only thing I've had to replace is one of the ECU units, which was replaced just 16 months ago. I sent that part back to Ferrari and mentioned they need to do a better job on QC of electronic components. Other than that really nice car and completely different than my 348. I've checked on different service costs and a few parts just to get a heads-up on pricing, which seems to be about the same as the 348. Oil changes a bit more expensive since you have more oil at $8/qt. The 512TR will be probably be a bit more expensive with parts, but not much more for the engine out service. However, 512TR is a great car.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

25. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    Agreed! Also, I prefer the folding TR headlights. But, like you, I really dont care for the 512M wheels. There are probably the biggest turnoff for me about the car (although it is still gorgeous!)