Melbourne will not kick off the F1 season next year | FerrariChat

Melbourne will not kick off the F1 season next year

Discussion in 'F1' started by 62 250 GTO, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Albert Park will host Commonwealth Games or some damn thing.

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Commonwealth Games is 2006. Straight from the horse's mouth. " I believe there are talks to change the date of the F1 in Melb in 2006 because of the games, but I don’t think an agreement has been reached."

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bring back Adelaide ... ;)

I couldn't care less if Albert park never hosted another race ... terribly boring track.

Pete

4. KEFLON

KEFLON Rookie

Feb 1, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Faisal
    I agree not the most exciting start to the season they shld fix up or change it for a more intense race like Brazil (I love that race)

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Have you guys ever raced there? Or watched an onboard camera for a lap? It is one of my favorite tracks. Always action and always passing. High speed turns and very low speed sharpies.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Raced in both places virtually and have to say I prefer Adelaide. Also because it is a street circuit, not a road course. F1 can use another Monaco and Adelaide would be fine.

The part I like least about Melbourne is, that (a bit like Sepang) it has two parts of the track that repeat themselves: The first right and left combination is followed by an almost identical one. Towards the end there are two almost 90 degree right handers, very similar to each other as well.

Sepang is even worse, it does the same combination three times in a row. Of course a similar argument could have been made about the old Hockenheim track: Three times the same chicane with similar 'straights' in between. But somehow I loved Hockenheim for being flat out.

7. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Psk.
    Adelaide what a track.
    Great spectator track with all kinds of Character.
    Kind Regards
    Wayne Hynes.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I assume 62 250 GTO that you are talking about Adelaide which was a classic track ... and Melbourne has none of the things you mentioned, just the same old medium speed corners followed by another ...

Adelaides only downfall was the fact that it could not handle rain and flooded ... but it was fast and a street circuit and had heaps of passing opportunities ... simply fantastic! IMO.

Pete

9. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Check out "Lap of the Gods". Going in alphabetical order, Adelaide is first. Definitely a cool track. Good thing it's first, because Anderstorp is on there too, and that wouldn't make a very exciting opening for the film.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Thank God I have spedvision again.