removing shields | FerrariChat

removing shields

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ccr2002, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Has anyone applied the metal shields to their car with the auto adhesive double stick tape and then removed them? Was it difficult...any opinions on whether this might damage the paint?

thanks
    ccr

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Not on a Ferrari, but I have removed emblems on cars with the automotive tape.

I used a plastic putty/Bondo spreader to work my way under the tape, or through it to avoid scratching the paint. Leave as much tape as you can on the car instead of the shield. When the shield is off, WD40 lightly wiped on the adhesive should remove it (as well as any dirt/wax/etc.) But don't rub hard and take your time.

You can also try dental floss to work or cut throught the tape. Again work near the shield not the paint. Also, heating it up will help a lot. Heat gun or hair drier, but not too direct. You just want to warm the adhesive and make it pliable.

If you go slowly, you should be able to save the shield.

Hopefully, the shield has not been on too long and left a darker color paint, while the paint around it has faded from the sun.

3. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Oh great guys...let everyone know how to remove the sheilds on our cars :)

All kidding aside, I have had some (side-walk) Ferrari lovers try to remove the emblems on my 355 but they were bolted on/in to the car :) They bent the rear horse and clipped the paint on the front and rear areas near the emblems, but they stayed on!! :)

4. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    The tape won't spoil the paintwork but your effort to pry the metal shield will damage the paintwork. And I'm sure there'll be a patch of different shade where the shield was.

So, leave it on.

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    why do you want to take off the shields?
    also, if anyone is interested, I sell the metal Scuderia Shields. email me direct if you would like the details.