308 cig lighter, hot when ignition off? | FerrariChat

308 cig lighter, hot when ignition off?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Zigno, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zigno

Zigno Karting

I want to buy a Battery Tender Jr. with a cig. lighter adapter plug but it will only work if the cig. lighter circuit is hot with the ignition off. Missing the lighter so the easy test won't happen.....I have the car at work today and the circuit tester is home in the garage. I'm guessing on a 1978 GTS with no computers it is hot all the time. Any body know for sure? I'd like to order that thing now.....dead battery yesterday morning.

Another subject: What happens to all that gas after you charge the carbs for 30 seconds, pump the pedal a couple times, and then get a no start situation? I have bad thoughts of gas washing down the cylinders and ending up in the oil. Started easily this morning though in 40 degree F. temps.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    85 Euro 308GTS QV, lighter electically "hot" all the time.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    77 308GTB. lighter is hot all the time.

But is a "hole in the wall" type, and things get stuck in there if they are short. HTH

I have a solar panel from VW that charges the same way.

On sunny days, anyway.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I had a 78 308 GTS, the lighter was always "hot". I ran a battery tender through the cig lighter...

5. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Thanks guys. I'm ordering the Battery Tender right now.

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    If your lighter is one of those goofy Euro types (mine is), then I doubt that you can put anything electrical in it. Anything inserted just makes contact with the heating element. I've heard that many/most/all cars made in the 70's had this lighter, but many have been changed out for a conventional one.

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have my trickle charger hooked up through a "pig tail" on the battery. Most battery tenders come with a connector on the charging wire and the other half of the connector with a couple wires on them for this purpose. Make a 6 foot wire that goes to the battery with the connector on the end. Just coil it up inside the spare when not in use. To use, pop the hood, plug it in, run the wire out the hood near the windshield and close the hood. It's also eaiser than trying to get a wire out the door of the car if it's plugged into the lighter.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Birdman,
    You are right, your way works well, and most of the battery tenders already come with the pigtail adapter you mention. I like the cig lighter method for the following reason: (to each their own I guess....) :)

1) It is essentially "universal" so you can plug it into any of your cars (as long as it has a cig lighter)

2) The cord (if you use the Radio Shack cig adapter with cord) is only 18 gauge wire, so no problem closing the door on it.

9. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I installed a marine cigarette lighter socket (it has a rubber gasketed and spring loaded cover) behind the front license plate of my 308 QV, with a 10A fuse in line direct to the battery terminals.

I just pull into my garage and plug in my charger. I don't have to lift the hood or snake wires through the door, etc.

I bought the marine cigarette lighter socket in a marine supply store, along with a "smart trickle charger" that has LEDs to show when it has cycled off or is charging.

Kind Regards, Chris

10. TonyM

TonyM Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Full Name:
    Tony Mongillo
    I also use the cigarette lighter socket in the car for my trickle charger. This way, there is no chance that I will forget it and try to pull out of the garage with the charger still hooked up.

Tony

11. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Oh yeah, I did that a couple of times (pulling out of the garage while still connected). The cigarette lighter plug just pulls out of the female socket behind my front license plate, and makes a little snapping noise as the spring loaded cover closes to seal the female socket. There's one other little noise too. It's that little voice in my head saying "oops, gotta remember that next time".

It doesn't matter though since the plug pulls out easily without hurting anything.

Kind Regards, Chris

12. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    As for the fuel question, do you have carbs? do they not have a return line back to the tank for the fuel to cycle through? I don't think you need to run the fuel pump for 30 seconds. 10 seconds should be enough to refill the float bowls. If you pump the pedal to squirt in gas and then the car doesn't turn over at all, I guess the fuel will enter in the ones that the intake valves were open and it'll just sit there and yeah, maybe leak through to the oil. But not worth worrying about in my book. You could always check for starting power before pumping the gas pedal if it worries you.

13. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Zigno, the fuel that is pumped from the fuel pump goes to the carbs. When the float chambers are full the fuel exits to the right gas tank via a fuel line that has an in-line one way check valve. So even if you leave the fuel pump on for an hour no more fuel will go into the engine or carbs than is necessary.

14. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I thought he just wanted to know about the fuel that gets squirted in by the accelerator jets when he pumps the pedal a few times before turning the key.

15. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
  16. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    It sounds like the marine lighter in the grill does the trick. I guess I'm lucky because I don't seem to have the classic "short" in my 77. The bat is 2 1/2 years old and the car sits for 3-4 weeks at a time in the winter while I wait for a few dry days to take it out. Just get in and fill the carbs and pump it a few times and start it up. So far starts OK. And I did replace the lighter in the console so I can us the cel phone charger.