Chicago AutoShow | FerrariChat

Chicago AutoShow

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Gilles27, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Went to the show yesterday, and David Alexander from Continental in Hinsdale brought me up onto the display for a close-up of all the cars. The 612 they had was in blue, which I think is much more complimentary than the maroon (not sure what Ferrari's using for color names on these) that got panned in Detroit. I think it's a great-looking car--undeserving of some of the criticisms it has received. The other car I really liked was the Maserati Quattraporte. He gave me the "official presentation" for it and it's a pretty sharp car. If I was in the market for a $95K sedan, I think the Maser would excite me a little more than a big old Benz or BMW. Other thoughts:

Ford GT--I still think it's damn cool. It surprises me that, after years of hearing people pine for "the good old days" of car design, you hear so many people whine about Ford's lack of originality and need to fall back on an old design. Just no pleasing some people, I guess.

Shelby--Keep trying. It looks like it was designed in about 5 minutes.

Mustang--Better, but it's still a Mustang. They never really excited me too much.

Corvette--Surprising how much it resembled a Ferrari at first glance. I like the re-design much better than previous versions.

Gallardo--I'm sorry, but I liked it even less after seeing it in person. For my preferences, it's just too choppy looking. I prefer lines that flow. I'm sure to drive one would be just about the best experience around, but aesthetically it does nothing for me.

2. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Gilles27, I hear you.
    I traded-in Corvette last year, thinking a new model will decrease value of my Vette. I saw few pics of new design, and didn't like it, which deleted the idea of waiting to trade-in the old for the new. Now I seen them in person, it looks better than what I used to think. But still not enough to trade w/ my 328.
    Gallardo was also attractive in pics, and I even visited LoD to do some research in last Aug. Since then, quoted price went up from $140K to $160K now, and my interest decreased after seeing the car in person. BTW, I saw Saleen delivered to a customer, and he didn't look so excited nor happy. Thought he was test driving first. Another man who was there was more excited than him. Cool looking car, but I take 360 stradale over that car. (saying this w/out knowing the price of Saleen)
    I still like Lotus Elise w/out looking at it in person. Did you see this car at the show?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  4. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I was there Monday night and I was a little disappointed with the Ferrari booth, nothing seemed to really stand out. Silver 575 and the blue 612 looked nice, but nothing popped. No 360 and no Enzo, and excitement.

My favorite of the show was the light blue Bentley Continental GT, oh yeah, and the Ford GT would fit in the garage too.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I found it rather strange that the F1 sat somewhere off the stand on the side. I would have put that square in the middle of the stand, despite the fact that the car is 4 years old by now.

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    "Corvette--Surprising how much it resembled a Ferrari at first glance. I like the re-design much better than previous versions.

Gallardo--I'm sorry, but I liked it even less after seeing it in person. For my preferences, it's just too choppy looking. I prefer lines that flow. I'm sure to drive one would be just about the best experience around, but aesthetically it does nothing for me."

I couldn't agree more. Very well stated. The Gallardo was the displayed next to the 360 at Detroit and seeing both side by side was revealing.
    GREAT COMMENT

7. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Every one compares the C6 to a 360; Am I the only one who sees a SRT-10?

I think it was the advertising. The ad had Magic Carpet Ride, the song in all the Viper TV and radio spots, and the car was partly obscured in the ad.

The 612 in that blue gives me hope for it.

I love the 05 GT. I got get me one.

My dealer is quoting used F50 prices: $375,ooo. (The Chrysler dealer has a 97 Prowler that has never left the showroom and has not been started since, he wants $65,ooo.)

It is sad to hear that the Gallardo is disappointing in reality.

The Cobra does look like the could have taken more time.

I like the Mustang. I have not liked the Mustang since the orginal. If they really wanted to do retro styling they should have done an update on the orginal concept from the 60s.

I was gung-ho about the Bentley GT and now not so much. It just does not look right, it is too round. It looks swollen.